River Trent East Stoke 17th july

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Its a fun day just do what you enjoy doing you will catch some fish. Maggots from the baitfarm only £2 pint cheeper than beer lol. Its a local water for Luke, Mat and myself so we will not be taking it too seriously most probabley be walking up and down a bit helping out anybody that needs it.
If anyone wants to run through methods, how to approach anything happy to go through it, show you the tackle, rigs etc. Just let me know.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
If anyone wants to run through methods, how to approach anything happy to go through it, show you the tackle, rigs etc. Just let me know.
Hi Luke, thanks for the offer and well done for your Nene catch, quite an achievement. As I mentioned further up the thread I'm a Trent virgin and being a bit of an excessive, I have been trawling the net, for info on the venue, match reports and videos of methods that may be of use on the day.

I've always wanted to to trot a stick float on the Trent so I will definitely be setting one up on the day for a little fun, plus maybe a waggler for a little further out. I was hoping to set up a couple of feeder rods in advance using a running quick change swivel, above a twisted boom for the hook length, with braid on one rod and mono on the other. I will have a selection of block end and cage type feeders of various weights to hold bottom.

My real question is without knowing in advance how the river is running i.e. high or pushing through after the rain we've had, which tips should I put in my rods to save me having to re-set up again on the bank? Paul k, above suggested 3oz tips, which I have, but having never needed to use more than 2oz even on a flooded Nene, that seems excessive to my un-trained mind. Would 2oz be too light do you think? Also is seems, as we are on the outside of the bend, it doesn't look necessary to heave a feeder too far across to be in the deeper water, how deep is the inside here? 6ft/8ft/10ft? As to baits, well I think I have covered every eventuality, in that I'll have caster/maggot and worms, plus I always bring hemp and tares when ever on the river, plus of course some ground bait.

Anyways I have waffled enough, so any advice on, what to do or not to do method wise, or which baits to use or not use on the day, would be more than helpful, to allow me to get the most out of my day as predominantly this match to me is more about enjoying the day on the river and putting a few fish in the net, rather than trying all out to win the match.

Many thanks

Pete.

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Hi Luke, thanks for the offer and well done for your Nene catch, quite an achievement. As I mentioned further up the thread I'm a Trent virgin and being a bit of an excessive, I have been trawling the net, for info on the venue, match reports and videos of methods that may be of use on the day.

I've always wanted to to trot a stick float on the Trent so I will definitely be setting one up on the day for a little fun, plus maybe a waggler for a little further out. I was hoping to set up a couple of feeder rods in advance using a running quick change swivel, above a twisted boom for the hook length, with braid on one rod and mono on the other. I will have a selection of block end and cage type feeders of various weights to hold bottom.

My real question is without knowing in advance how the river is running i.e. high or pushing through after the rain we've had, which tips should I put in my rods to save me having to re-set up again on the bank? Paul k, above suggested 3oz tips, which I have, but having never needed to use more than 2oz even on a flooded Nene, that seems excessive to my un-trained mind. Would 2oz be too light do you think? Also is seems, as we are on the outside of the bend, it doesn't look necessary to heave a feeder too far across to be in the deeper water, how deep is the inside here? 6ft/8ft/10ft? As to baits, well I think I have covered every eventuality, in that I'll have caster/maggot and worms, plus I always bring hemp and tares when ever on the river, plus of course some ground bait.

Anyways I have waffled enough, so any advice on, what to do or not to do method wise, or which baits to use or not use on the day, would be more than helpful, to allow me to get the most out of my day as predominantly this match to me is more about enjoying the day on the river and putting a few fish in the net, rather than trying all out to win the match.

Many thanks

Pete.
My first match on the Trent (1970s) we parked on the A1 bridge and fished the stretch underneath. I fished a stick float on a pole (7m, glass fibre, telescopic) and a waggler that I eventually cast into one of the "rock pools" downstream of me where I saw fish breaking the surface. After a while of not catching much I saw a boat coming upstream and the wake behind it. All my gear needed to be moved to higher ground sharpish. As the boat went past I swear I could see the bottom where I was fishing the pole as the water sucked away from the bank. The wake must have been at least six foot above river level. After it all calmed down I set up again, started to catch, chub and small roach on the pole, larger roach from the rock pool and eventually managed third.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Portland Waters - a relatively nearby commercial

mattnewark

The Trent does pull through a bit in my opinion at East Stoke.......for the non-rich amongst us, I use a Drennan Puddle Chucker Carp feeder rod for Bream with about a 60g feeder in these current conditions.

Today for example, I was launching 3oz of lead 3/4 of the way over with a Korum 2.5TC Barbel Rod. Float rod is a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight 15ft with my dads very old and heavy ABU 501....just because really...

I fished a couple of hundred yards upstream and had 1 Barbel that's all. Levels are dropping and so is the colour. I didn't get the photos of East Stoke today, but dad is going Thursday so one more chance for photos.

My Bream river rig is so basic, but I don't feel the need for fancy booms and anti tangle stuff...don't have a problem really. Simple running feeder down to a Korum Bead where the hook length is tied on to......there's better ways I'm sure. Just remember you can't really use a Garbolino 8ft rocket picker rod here :)

I could see peg 1/2/3 were being fished today as well as about 10 others from 13 - 55 as I drove home. Here's the 8lb Barbel today from just upstream.

mattnewark

Also, we are fishing from comfortable slabs, not the ground you can see here......although the rocks are typical of the Trent.

Attachments

• 64986BCF-979B-4C2B-BC2B-DB4D5AC1D676.jpeg
    64986BCF-979B-4C2B-BC2B-DB4D5AC1D676.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 8

mattnewark

Typically yes, it's deep at your feet, but some of the pegs offer a shallow bit if you wanted to stand in the water a little

Status
Not open for further replies.