River Trent East Stoke 17th july

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Exactly, sounds like you may have problems mate. @Scribe, offer your services to swim everyone's nets upstream for them. You will make a fortune buddy🧜‍♂️🧜‍♂️🧜‍♂️
@160642fishing The club have been holding matches on that stretch for a good few years so I'm confident that any bogey pegs are well known and will be avoided.

@Dave Spence the merestmention from you, that I will be carrying a divers knife and that nets are likely to be retrieved with big hole in the bottom are totally un-founded. I'll have you done for libel & slander you bounder. :p:D:D:upthumb:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
@160642fishing The club have been holding matches on that stretch for a good few years so I'm confident that any bogey pegs are well known and will be avoided.

@Dave Spence the merestmention from you, that I will be carrying a divers knife and that nets are likely to be retrieved with big hole in the bottom are totally un-founded. I'll have you done for libel & slander you bounder. :p:D:D:upthumb:
You sir, are a master of skulldugeration 😎

Pyffy

Site Supporter
If there is room for little ol' me, a non-match fisherman who has never fished the Trent and is happy to be pools fodder for the day, I would love a place on your list for the day. However if I draw on some fish, I don't promise not to catch them 😉

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Sorry guys but im going to have to dip out - its the same day as the Burton Joyce Riverfest unfortunately. Dependent on what time you meet i will come for breakfast at Hardys before heading off (y)

mattnewark

Just to get a few in the mood. I have fished the section twice over the past week or so. Here’s a taster of what you can catch if you get lucky 😬
Both different areas. Four barbel between 7 and 12 lbs.

Attachments

• D38F55FB-D3BE-44E8-907B-86B85CE6B24A.jpeg
    D38F55FB-D3BE-44E8-907B-86B85CE6B24A.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 8414DAD5-C78E-456A-81A2-EE2C9CDD8C13.jpeg
    8414DAD5-C78E-456A-81A2-EE2C9CDD8C13.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 24948A64-B50B-428F-A942-9B72EB083C45.jpeg
    24948A64-B50B-428F-A942-9B72EB083C45.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 8751223E-8148-44A7-8670-CB869A09555F.jpeg
    8751223E-8148-44A7-8670-CB869A09555F.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 10

mattnewark

Could do with a bit more rain though to keep the colour in.

Attachments

• 512CC2F1-33E9-4406-8B86-0D74774F50F6.jpeg
    512CC2F1-33E9-4406-8B86-0D74774F50F6.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 7

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Could do with a bit more rain though to keep the colour in.
Very nice Matt. I am hoping to get a day midweek early July in pursuit of one or two. :D Look forward to catching up with you on matchday.(y)

Pyffy

Site Supporter
What fantastic fish, hopefully a few will come out during the match. Any idea how the stretch is fishing generally? any sign of chub, roach or skimmers turning up in any numbers? Hopefully you locals can give us from further afield an insight closer to the 17th as to which methods are being successful. Looking forward to my first time on the Trent with hopefully a few fish in the net to make a great day of it.

mattnewark

Theres plenty of fish knocking about.....fish maggot and you will catch a fair few. I won't fish for Barbel if it's running low. Won't know until the day really.

I will have a bash a couple of days before to see if I can get a few on the stick. I will also try a normal feeder approach as well just to see if I can get a few bites really.

What I would like is 2 days of rain about 5 days before.

mattnewark

What I will do if I remember is take a few photos of the pegs so you can see what to expect. All pegs have large flat slabs of concrete down to the water so everyone will be comfortable......none of this wading into the water dodging big rocks if you don't want to.

I do see the odd angler stood in the water on the stick, but there's no need. Majority of anglers here fish for Barbel, with a few on the normal feeder or stick.

To put it in perspective, I have fished twice so far this season and had 4 Barbel and a few decent roach. 2 rods for 8 hrs each rod so 32 hrs fishing for 4 Barbel.

I probably would have had more weight fishing other methods in that time so take your pick and enjoy your fishing...who knows what will do well in that 5hr period.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
What I will do if I remember is take a few photos of the pegs so you can see what to expect. All pegs have large flat slabs of concrete down to the water so everyone will be comfortable......none of this wading into the water dodging big rocks if you don't want to.

I do see the odd angler stood in the water on the stick, but there's no need. Majority of anglers here fish for Barbel, with a few on the normal feeder or stick.

To put it in perspective, I have fished twice so far this season and had 4 Barbel and a few decent roach. 2 rods for 8 hrs each rod so 32 hrs fishing for 4 Barbel.

I probably would have had more weight fishing other methods in that time so take your pick and enjoy your fishing...who knows what will do well in that 5hr period.
Thanks Matt, your info is more than welcome. To be honest I haven't fished a match for over 20 years so this is my warm up for the Alders farm maggot drowners match, although if the lakes are flowing like the Trent after a rain storm I will be on the look out for Noah on the bow of his Ark 🤣 🤣 I guess I will set up for the day as I would on the River down here, with a feeder rod with either blockend with hemp, maggot and caster or cage with ground bait. Will set up a stick and possibly a waggler and just try to catch anything that comes along. I believe we're on pegs 1-20 ish and from the info I've found on line it has some depth near in and shallows up towards the far bank on a long chuck? What ever happens I intend to enjoy my day and hopefully put a few in the net.

Last edited:

mattnewark

You won't go far wrong with the above mate......it's a bloody long chuck to the far bank....no need IMO.

Yep, plenty of depth on the stick line, I enjoy this when it's low....just watch for Pike trouble.

Are we counting Pike at all?

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Long Chuck, forgotten, one of the main reasons I wanted to fish this match as I’ve been wanting a go on the stick on the Trent for a long time , it’s just I’ve never had the opportunity or in truth the inclination to travel without knowing where to go. However after having a hip replaced last year I’ve decided to not turn down the chance to fish new venues and maybe do a bit of match fishing for fun :) as to pike, no idea mate, hopefully all become clear closer to the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.