River Trent East Stoke 17th july

Arch

Site Supporter
Sorry Gixer, but I'm going to have to pull out. I've learnt today that our company's charity teams of four match at Meadowlands has been arranged on the same day. We struggle to get four anglers as it is, so me dropping out of our match would mean the whole team missing out. Pity as if have really looking forward to fishing up at Stoke.

Soz guys,

Arch.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Sorry Gixer, but I'm going to have to pull out. I've learnt today that our company's charity teams of four match at Meadowlands has been arranged on the same day. We struggle to get four anglers as it is, so me dropping out of our match would mean the whole team missing out. Pity as if have really looking forward to fishing up at Stoke.

Soz guys,

Arch.
Looks like there’ll only be one ageing AS1 on the bank then.🙁

Arch

Site Supporter
Yeah. Stick float on the Trent or a pellet waggler after Carp. No contest really, it's a shame, but it is what it is. We do raise a good amount for charity though.

gixer 13

Site Supporter

Soz guys,

Arch.no problem mate if it goes well may do another one

mattnewark

If you draw peg 1 then make sure you bring plenty of feeders :)

Personally I'd like to draw peg 4. That way I have a chance of fishing my rod out that I lost to an unknown monster last year. (story covered in the forum)

What pegs you booked gixer ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter

Soz guys,

Arch.
That's a shame mate was looking forward to catching up with you on the day. Anytime you want to fish East Stoke let me know as I am a member of NDPA so can arrange a guest ticket. Trouble is you won;t know whether to bring the Barbel rods or the trotting gear. :D:D

Good luck at Meadowlands Don't forget to take your waders, I could have done with a pair last time I was there. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

IanG1

Site Supporter
Forgive my ignorance as I don't know this stretch of the Trent, is this the famous Peg 1 or close proximity?

I am alone in preferring to draw a nice stick float or waggler peg and having a nice silvers day (my strengths) than a flyer barbel peg fishing feeder (My least favourite river method) :unsure:................ Weird I know in a match situation but thats me :D

jononcb

Forgive my ignorance as I don't know this stretch of the Trent, is this the famous Peg 1 or close proximity?

I am alone in preferring to draw a nice stick float or waggler peg and having a nice silvers day (my strengths) than a flyer barbel peg fishing feeder (My least favourite river method) :unsure:................ Weird I know in a match situation but thats me :D
No that peg in the video is on the point of Nabbs Island, its maybe 2 or 3 mile upstream from where we are fishing.
That's Notts Piscatorials water.
We are further downstream on the Newark Piscatorials water.
Still a lot of Barbel on the Newark stretch though.

Last edited:

jononcb

If you draw peg 1 then make sure you bring plenty of feeders :)

Personally I'd like to draw peg 4. That way I have a chance of fishing my rod out that I lost to an unknown monster last year. (story covered in the forum)

What pegs you booked gixer ?
Peg 1 and 3 don't look anything special but have always held Barbel for some reason.
In last years matches those pegs were throwing up more of the smaller 1-3lb Barbel for some reason?
Only a short throw on the feeder as well from memory?!

mattnewark

Yeah, standard peg, nowt to look at, but plenty of boulders and a fast ish flow........barbel city.

It drops off at about peg 7 and the water "appears slower"

Northantslad

'Any indications?
In terms of keepnets gents, and if a Barbel is caught? Are we aren't we?
Feel a fair question and one i would like to ask.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
In terms of keepnets gents, and if a Barbel is caught? Are we aren't we?
Feel a fair question and one i would like to ask.
Hi mate,

Hope you are keeping well - River season is getting closer by the day...... (y)

NDPF Rules state

At November 2017's Committee meeting, new rules concerning Barbel retention in keepnets during matches were agreed as follows:

Keepnets must be pegged-out facing upstream
No more than 4 Barbel over 5lb to be retained
Additional Barbel over 5lb to be weighed and returned immediately
Matches only - no Barbel caught while pleasure fishing to be retained in keepnets
One year trial

Maybe @gixer 13 could check just so we abide by the club's rules.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
Hi mate,

Hope you are keeping well - River season is getting closer by the day...... (y)

NDPF Rules state

At November 2017's Committee meeting, new rules concerning Barbel retention in keepnets during matches were agreed as follows:

Keepnets must be pegged-out facing upstream
No more than 4 Barbel over 5lb to be retained
Additional Barbel over 5lb to be weighed and returned immediately
Matches only - no Barbel caught while pleasure fishing to be retained in keepnets
One year trial

Maybe @gixer 13 could check just so we abide by the club's rules.
I will check with Pete willis before the match

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Genuine question, why do keepnets have to be pegged upstream. Can"t barbel turn around themselves?

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Genuine question, why do keepnets have to be pegged upstream. Can"t barbel turn around themselves?
Sounds like we're going to need waders Dave ! to get a net sufficiently underwater you're going to have to go a few feet from the bank and how do you peg it if you've got rocks close in ?