River Trent Burton Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
We have a club match in Oct and was wondering what to expect as we have never seen the stretch in question.I have been told its 60-80yrds across and that you need to fish the far bank.Is this correct or can you catch closer in or even on the stick float.

Regards Keith.

MALC

Hi Keith
Personaly i'm no help with this one as it's been over 20 years since i fished that section but you have just remined me about it and bought back memoires.

Hopefully Trev or someone will be able to help.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

darryl

the distance is right the bank has a gravel run were you can expext to catch chub to 5lb`s and barbel to 6lb`s but they have been caught bigger up to 14lb`s ,bream down the middle with big schools not so many roach and dace as in the past but you can still catch on stick .the secound to last day of season had 28 chub to39lb`s on stick and bronze maggot`s i will let you closer to to oct how it`s fishing has only 30 min`s from home .see you then darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Keith,
Sorry mate, I'm same as Daz, fished it in the 80s last.
However, Have fished East Stoke recently (Just up stream a bit)and I reported the guy breaking off on Barbel with a 4lb bottom in the where you fished forum, 14th March (Last day)

I understand the methods are similar as swims are much same.
Heavy cage feeder, just over 1/2 way, Caster /hemp feed during match hours, 2 red maggot, size 18/16 hook and be prepared for sailaway bites!
Chub to 5lbs , Barbel to 13 that I saw.
Evenings and after dusk, they come in to the inside Stick line, but there were no takers there in feb or march when I fished it, during daylight.
Feeder or light Carp type rod fished vertical as lots of floating rubbish! Most allow big bow to develop in line to avoid moving feeder in current, so needs a big strike unless fishing braid.If you use braid, get abrasion resistant as rough braid picks hair weed up and binds it into tight knots!

Good Luck

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 24 May 2002 5:24:32 PM

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Cheers Trev,

Starting to build up a picture of the water.Will probably try to get down there for a day before the match to check whether i am undergunned in the tackl;e dept.

Keith.

darryl

if you find out what pegs you have from nott`s fed i will ask around how ever oct near the wear is great for pike p.s you could also give tim applin a ring from matchman supplies west bridgeford tackle shop ..darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

breambasher

quote:
We have a club match in Oct and was wondering what to expect as we have never seen the stretch in question.I have been told its 60-80yrds across and that you need to fish the far bank.Is this correct or can you catch closer in or even on the stick float.

Regards Keith.
hi keith waggler work well with bronze maggot.if the temperature is running low mince and stake is deadly both on the feeder and stick.

im mad for it

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Good on you Bream, Yes Keith, I remember seeing a 1,2 3 in a match report on meat, but as I say, I havent fished BJ for years.
I did use steak and mince above Newark at Collingham successfully in Jan.
Nice and easy fishing too!

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Use to fish it alot. Your best bet is feeder on far bank takes some doing. you want it so it only just holds bottom there shouldn't be many boats if any. fill feeder with ground bait mixed with mince meat add some of the blood to steak on the hook. killer bait got banned when i was fishing Trent. Other way is maggots and lots of them and i mean lots. Don't forget Its a big river plus that time of year it'll be moving through quickly. Stickfloat is another great way of fishing the Trent but depends on what the river is like at the time. If i was you go for Feeder and a stick line. Ring Tim Aplin at Matchman supplies in Westbridgford Notts he knows the water like no other.icon_smile.gif

www.tjsangling.co.uk
scott@tjsangling.co.uk

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
cheers for the info lads.I think a practice is required as ive never fished steak and mince before.

Keith

Dead easy mate. The only hard bit is stopping your self from using it everywhere you go. Oh and cooking it then putting some bread round it hmmm icon_smile_tongue.gif

www.tjsangling.co.uk
scott@tjsangling.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.