River Torne near Belton,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t recall ever being piked at wroxham but may have been because I always fished the boat yards rather than the main river. That’s going back 10-15 years though. They were in there though remember my dad getting a 15 pounder on a herring.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mick, have you tried the tidal Don around your way?, I had a couple of cracking days late summer near where the power station used to be.
No mate I haven’t but, someone I bumped into while fishing the New Junction told me to fish it. Somewhere behind a pub just outside Thorne near the M18. I’ve been meaning to go and have a look. He said take a pallet or bread crate and don’t expect to fetch it back as the banks are very muddy and very slippy. Oh ... he says they catch Dabs there on legered worm. ??

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If you can catch one or at least hook one for a while (eg a bit longer than you can sometimes keep them on on roach gear!) it can turn them off for a bit. Doesn't work if there's loads of small ones but if there's just a couple or so bigger ones you can sometimes at least get rid of one. When they are super fired up on the roach they'll hit a flashy spoon or plug quite readily a handful of casts is usually enough. Problem is its just more tackle to take so I rarely bother but probably should more often as it does help.
My dad carries a spinner on a trace in his box just for this very scenario. I may start and follow his lead. ?

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Mick, have you tried the tidal Don around your way?, I had a couple of cracking days late summer near where the power station used to be.

I remember packing in after about an hour or two fishing opposite Thorpe Marsh, I couldn’t get through the bootlaces. That was a long time ago just after the Don had come back after years of pollution, it’s was teeming with Eels on the tidal.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The last time I fished at Wroxham I never hooked a pike but one {looked to be around eight pounds} actually leapt clear of the
water just as I lifted a small roach out. The mush next to me gave up fishing for roach because of the pike and then targeted the
predators.

Good few years ago I was fishing for roach at a lake called `nook and cranny`. This was at the Mid Kent fisheries complex at Shalmsford
street, chalk stream fed the roach were pristine but pike were a real pain. I packed up after I landed a sizable roach that had been
attacked by a pike the poor thing had its belly sliced open with its guts hanging out.

Yes I know pike are part of the picture but I have come to regard them as no better than cormoronts

baldpaul

Site Supporter
I remember packing in after about an hour or two fishing opposite Thorpe Marsh, I couldn’t get through the bootlaces. That was a long time ago just after the Don had come back after years of pollution, it’s was teeming with Eels on the tidal.
It’s teeming with everything now!, but as Mick said the banks are treacherous. The fish are incredibly fit and respond well to a stick float. It’s obviously a bit tougher this time of year, my most recent outing resulted in only a couple of bites but one was from a nice chunky chub around 2- 1/2lb.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
The bank situation puts me off paul, I know a bloke who fishes the Don at Stainforth who says the fishing is good but the banks are treacherous at times. Puts me off pal, I like a bit of comfort these days.