River Torne near Belton,

genesis

Account Locked
Thought I’d venture onto a tiny river near me today. When I say river it’s actually not much more than a drain. And you know what drains are like .... mud pits. The river Torne is no different. On average it is around four foot deep with a decent head of roach, perch, pike, bream and tench. My main quarry today was roach. In winter if you find them you can have a decent days sport. On arriving at the river at 10.15am I noticed it was up about a foot and racing through. Not ideal. It did cross my mind to go visit one of our club waters but, I’ve done nothing but fish those the past few days. No, it was time to see what could be had out of our tiny river. My approach would be to long line pole it using a 0.4g BGT hollow. A float I love for this type of fishing. Bulk 16” up with three number 8’s and one number 10 set on top of my 6” hook length. I started by bait droppering two apple sized balls of liquidised plus aquarium gravel at 5m. This is basically track fishing. It took nearly an hour for my first bite to arrive. A little roach of a couple of ounce. Another half hour past before another. And then that’s when all hell broke loose. Pike after pike after pike. It was like trying to fish in a jacuzzi. The roach were having a go but, I simply could not get them in fast enough. As soon as you hit a roach and pulled it a few inches the elastic would go solid and then move slowly towards the other bank. Time after time. I must have lost at least 15 hook lengths. Occasionally a pike would have a go at my Keepnet. At one point a jack of about 4lb got stuck between my keepnet and the near bank and I had to shove it out with my landing net. I feel like I’ve been at war with the sodding things today. Without the pike I’d have had a decent net but, they’ve absolutely battered me today. I’ve lost more than I’ve caught. ?

Tight lines guys. ?
Fished it at Hayfield Lakes one winter when the lakes were frozen up. Had some nice chub and my mate was catching pike and jacks on a copper spoon. We had a club match their in August on Island and the river was blocked up solid with weed.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fished it at Hayfield Lakes one winter when the lakes were frozen up. Had some nice chub and my mate was catching pike and jacks on a copper spoon. We had a club match their in August on Island and the river was blocked up solid with weed.
I’ve noticed that little river / drain at the back of Hayfields. I often wondered if it was the Torne. Well, you learn something everyday don’t ya ? I didn’t know that. Cheers pal. ?

genesis

Account Locked
I only know because when we went to fish and the place was frozen we were told we could fish it on the lake day ticket. Apparently it weeds up every year especially in dry spells but come Autumn/Winter when the rains come and the river flows higher then it clears out pretty quickly. Well worth a go with light tackle. One thing is the banks are steep there as it is more like a drain and maybe 20 - 25 foot wide so you would need a long handle on your net as you can't get down to the waters edge.

Carp attack

Loved reading that an I know exactly where you was fishing! I grew up in Crowle and in summer we used to get dropped off at the torne behind the golf course and walk for miles dead baiting an lure fishing,, had some big doubles, loads of Jack's, my favourite time was summer the water was clear an you could actually spot pike you wanted! Heart thumping action watching pike strike!
Also raking a swim an fishing for the tench an bream, had tench upto 7lbs bream knocking 10lb! Really need to venture back down there, fond memories! Good times, ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Loved reading that an I know exactly where you was fishing! I grew up in Crowle and in summer we used to get dropped off at the torne behind the golf course and walk for miles dead baiting an lure fishing,, had some big doubles, loads of Jack's, my favourite time was summer the water was clear an you could actually spot pike you wanted! Heart thumping action watching pike strike!
Also raking a swim an fishing for the tench an bream, had tench upto 7lbs bream knocking 10lb! Really need to venture back down there, fond memories! Good times, ?
You are bang on. In summer although it gets weeded up you can see the big bream in the channel. Again in summer using half a loaf of bread and roving tactics below Belton bridge you can catch some beautiful looking Tench. They are pristine and don’t look like they have ever been caught before. It’s a lovely little river.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
I remember shortly after getting my first car in 1990 having a drive out to tunnel pits on the Torne mick. It was a summer evening and it was like looking into an aquarium from the bridge. I saw Roach, Tench, Perch, Bream, Jack Pike and Eels.

Carp attack

You are bang on. In summer although it gets weeded up you can see the big bream in the channel. Again in summer using half a loaf of bread and roving tactics below Belton bridge you can catch some beautiful looking Tench. They are pristine and don’t look like they have ever been caught before. It’s a lovely little river.
There really is some cracking places to fish, around Scunthorpe area, spoilt for choice, the Thorne between Wroot an the little bridge down from lindolme was also a cracking stretch an always remember 1 day we was on the bit behind candy corner and I've never seen so many big bream in a shoal swimming up an down about 50/60 yards circling around an around, fantastic to see,
I had my biggest pike on the drain at the side of the A18 between pilfry bridge an the layby halfway down, was a shade over 20lb, couldn't believe a fish of that size would live in there! We thought only small Jack's so was a big shock when she popped up! There really is some cracking fish hiding away in there, let's keep ? not everyone needs to know, ?????

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
We’re blessed with some great fishing venues around Doncaster as well and the DDAA book as always been great value, just wish they still had the Idle and Warping Drain.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
There really is some cracking places to fish, around Scunthorpe area, spoilt for choice, the Thorne between Wroot an the little bridge down from lindolme was also a cracking stretch an always remember 1 day we was on the bit behind candy corner and I've never seen so many big bream in a shoal swimming up an down about 50/60 yards circling around an around, fantastic to see,
I had my biggest pike on the drain at the side of the A18 between pilfry bridge an the layby halfway down, was a shade over 20lb, couldn't believe a fish of that size would live in there! We thought only small Jack's so was a big shock when she popped up! There really is some cracking fish hiding away in there, let's keep ? not everyone needs to know, ?????
They take some finding but, around Candy corner there’s a huge shoal of large chub swim up and down the length. Me and dad thought it was pike or perch that were spooking tiny roach one summers evening. On closer inspection we saw it was chub. Some I’m guessing were around the 5lb to 6lb bracket. They were huge and a lot of them All feeding on tiny roach and fry. A sight to see indeed. ?.
Like you say, a lot of anglers simply dismiss it especially in summer but, in reality it’s stuffed with some lovely fish.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We’re blessed with some great fishing venues around Doncaster as well and the DDAA book as always been great value, just wish they still had the Idle and Warping Drain.
Yes, as you know Warping drain is on the Scunthorpe book now. Im lucky I have both books. I like the Warping for its bream and tench. Fantastic place for a few hours on an afternoon/ evening. Me and dad tend to rake a couple of swims out a day or two before we fish. Brilliant fishing though. ?

Carp attack

They take some finding but, around Candy corner there’s a huge shoal of large chub swim up and down the length. Me and dad thought it was pike or perch that were spooking tiny roach one summers evening. On closer inspection we saw it was chub. Some I’m guessing were around the 5lb to 6lb bracket. They were huge and a lot of them All feeding on tiny roach and fry. A sight to see indeed. ?.
Like you say, a lot of anglers simply dismiss it especially in summer but, in reality it’s stuffed with some lovely fish.
I've never seen any chub, seen big carp, don't know where theh would come from??? ?,
Going to take dog for a walk round there to rekindle the memory, lovely place, you used to hardley see anyone else!

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
I might get a Scunny book in the New Year mick to fish the WD, the stretch of the Idle at Lound that they have looks interesting as well.

George Sumsion

Site Supporter
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread . Back in the 80's I was in the RAF at Finningley and we had a house in Thorne. Had some nice sessions on the Torne just off the road to Hatfield, and in Wroot itself. If I remember correctly there were some winter matches around Wroot and pike counted so guys always had lobs with them. Lovely bag of roach there (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread . Back in the 80's I was in the RAF at Finningley and we had a house in Thorne. Had some nice sessions on the Torne just off the road to Hatfield, and in Wroot itself. If I remember correctly there were some winter matches around Wroot and pike counted so guys always had lobs with them. Lovely bag of roach there (y)
You’re not wrong mate. Back in the 80’s I used to fish some 100 peg opens on there with the likes of Tommy Pickering, Frank Barlow, John Allerton and Don Slaymaker etc etc. The river seemed wider back in those days. Mind, I was a lot narrower as well. ??

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I would like a pike free world, yes that is selfish but they have been a nightmare this season.
You as well PG ? They do seem to have bred well these past few seasons. The canals around me are riddled with them. Maybe someone should make a .... pike puddle. ???

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello Mick, never been anti pike up until a couple of years ago but lately there are jacks just about everywhere. I doubt if I
will fish the Bure at Wroxham again because of them, I don`t know the answer.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I doubt if I will fish the Bure at Wroxham again because of them, I don`t know the answer.
If you can catch one or at least hook one for a while (eg a bit longer than you can sometimes keep them on on roach gear!) it can turn them off for a bit. Doesn't work if there's loads of small ones but if there's just a couple or so bigger ones you can sometimes at least get rid of one. When they are super fired up on the roach they'll hit a flashy spoon or plug quite readily a handful of casts is usually enough. Problem is its just more tackle to take so I rarely bother but probably should more often as it does help.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Mick, have you tried the tidal Don around your way?, I had a couple of cracking days late summer near where the power station used to be.

Total

Site Supporter
Hello Mick, never been anti pike up until a couple of years ago but lately there are jacks just about everywhere. I doubt if I
will fish the Bure at Wroxham again because of them, I don`t know the answer.

You wouldn't land them on your ancient gear.....;):love: