River Torne near Belton,

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thought I’d venture onto a tiny river near me today. When I say river it’s actually not much more than a drain. And you know what drains are like .... mud pits. The river Torne is no different. On average it is around four foot deep with a decent head of roach, perch, pike, bream and tench. My main quarry today was roach. In winter if you find them you can have a decent days sport. On arriving at the river at 10.15am I noticed it was up about a foot and racing through. Not ideal. It did cross my mind to go visit one of our club waters but, I’ve done nothing but fish those the past few days. No, it was time to see what could be had out of our tiny river. My approach would be to long line pole it using a 0.4g BGT hollow. A float I love for this type of fishing. Bulk 16” up with three number 8’s and one number 10 set on top of my 6” hook length. I started by bait droppering two apple sized balls of liquidised plus aquarium gravel at 5m. This is basically track fishing. It took nearly an hour for my first bite to arrive. A little roach of a couple of ounce. Another half hour past before another. And then that’s when all hell broke loose. Pike after pike after pike. It was like trying to fish in a jacuzzi. The roach were having a go but, I simply could not get them in fast enough. As soon as you hit a roach and pulled it a few inches the elastic would go solid and then move slowly towards the other bank. Time after time. I must have lost at least 15 hook lengths. Occasionally a pike would have a go at my Keepnet. At one point a jack of about 4lb got stuck between my keepnet and the near bank and I had to shove it out with my landing net. I feel like I’ve been at war with the sodding things today. Without the pike I’d have had a decent net but, they’ve absolutely battered me today. I’ve lost more than I’ve caught. ?

Tight lines guys. ?

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
I used to fish it a lot at Auckley many years ago mick, It always had a good bit of flow down there and I’d adopt a roving approach because what with it being such a small river you’d tend to spook the fish after catching a few. I’d walk down past the small footbridge and fish on the s bend before coming back fishing a small stick float on various swims. I’ve not been for a walk down there for ages despite it being only a couple of miles away from me.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I used to fish it a lot at Auckley many years ago mick, It always had a good bit of flow down there and I’d adopt a roving approach because what with it being such a small river you’d tend to spook the fish after catching a few. I’d walk down past the small footbridge and fish on the s bend before coming back fishing a small stick float on various swims. I’ve not been for a walk down there for ages despite it being only a couple of miles away from me.
A lot of it down there is sadly overgrown now mate. Maybe it’s with the EA being on furlough but, it’s near impossible to get to the water now which is a shame as there are some big bream and .... believe it or not .... some wild carp down there. Lots of dear running about also. They are always nice to see. ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good effort again mate ??Sounds like a cracking session was in the offing were it not for the teeth!

I’ve had a fair few sessions where attacks have reached double figures but not as bad as you endured today ?

fishcatcher4

Used to fish it for pike in the winter but not been for a good few years now in fact sold or gave away most of the pike gear which tbh was not much.

Always enjoyed it though.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Good effort again mate ??Sounds like a cracking session was in the offing were it not for the teeth!

I’ve had a fair few sessions where attacks have reached double figures but not as bad as you endured today ?
Teeth. I like that. My mate Nicky Dodds calls them Crocs but, teeth is a good superlative. Yes mate. A proper proper nuisance today. You don’t just lose the fish you’ve just hooked but, you’re left digging about for new hook lengths every 15 sodding minutes. They waste your day don’t they. I’ve not a problem with the odd one possibly two but, today was ridiculous. I’m guessing but, I bet they’d be a dozen pike. It’s enough the roach were still having a look. Cheers fella. ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Used to fish it for pike in the winter but not been for a good few years now in fact sold or gave away most of the pike gear which tbh was not much.

Always enjoyed it though.
That’s a shame. A pike angler would have had a field day today in my peg. That place would be good to hold a pike championship qualifier. Everyone would qualify. ??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Teeth. I like that. My mate Nicky Dodds calls them Crocs but, teeth is a good superlative. Yes mate. A proper proper nuisance today. You don’t just lose the fish you’ve just hooked but, you’re left digging about for new hook lengths every 15 sodding minutes. They waste your day don’t they. I’ve not a problem with the odd one possibly two but, today was ridiculous. I’m guessing but, I bet they’d be a dozen pike. It’s enough the roach were still having a look. Cheers fella. ?
Thames taxmen is another name I give them as they always take a share of your hard earned catch! I know what you mean about hooklengths. Often when I get stuff from the tackle shop my dads often like why you got so many of the same hooks to which I explain how they’ll be gone in a couple sessions ?

Still you did well to get any roach today as they can’t half be hard to find when it’s this cold ??

fishcatcher4

When i first started piking i started in wroot but it was like dog shitt alley so went further along but can't remember the name of the place.

Fished it for a few years then was sat there one winters day then a police car slowed down on the main road and looked they at me.

When i packed up i noticed a small sign saying it belonged to some police angling club. :D .

Never fished it again but you always caught but they were mainly jacks but the perfect place to learn.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
When i first started piking i started in wroot but it was like dog shitt alley so went further along but can't remember the name of the place.

Fished it for a few years then was sat there one winters day then a police car slowed down on the main road and looked they at me.

When i packed up i noticed a small sign saying it belonged to some police angling club. :D .

Never fished it again but you always caught but they were mainly jacks but the perfect place to learn.

That would be Scunthorpe Pisces which was formally Scunthorpe Police Angling Club. They’ve got the Warping Drain which I fished a lot in the summer when it was on the Donny AA book. Lovely Tench water.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Unlucky Mick, fair play for persevering though mate ?
It felt like a proper battle. I’ll give it another go but, somewhere either higher up or below where I’ve been today. It’s not fair on the roach is it ? When I put my fish back I walked up the bank some 30 yards first. Putting them back in my peg would be like throwing sprats to a group of seals. ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That would be Scunthorpe Pisces which was formally Scunthorpe Police Angling Club. They’ve got the Warping Drain which I fished a lot in the summer when it was on the Donny AA book. Lovely Tench water.
It is. And some big bream to say how shallow it is. ?