River Stour, upstream of Bland Forum

baz1

Looking to finish the season off, on a river. Upstream of Blandford Forum at the village of Durweston, , we have the chance of a cottage on the Stour, including a weir pool. Has any one any information on the state of fishing on this upper stretch of the Dorset Stour. Would be most grateful, for any advice. Thank You.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only fished the stour lower down myself (have done very well on Dace with a few chub and roach on both float and feeder) but there are a few on here that fish the stour quite regularly so sure one of them will be along to help before long.

Sounds a great place to stay btw would love a go at that myself!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Surprised you haven’t had more responses tbh so I’ll give you the tiny bit if knowledge I have. I’ve only fished the stour on 5 or 6 sessions and all down just above Christchurch and in July and September rather the winter. Was a simple case of maggot on the stick float or maggot feeder for bags of mostly dace to 6-7oz, a few roach to the same size, chub to about a pound and some clonking gudgen. Other anglers on the stretch specifically targeted roach on bread and did pretty well. May be quite different up where you are going although probably not massively different, hopefully someone else will comment at some point.

MarkW

Looking at a couple of cottage advertised in Durweston, I should imagine it's only got a short stretch as the south bank is mainly Durweston AC and the island between the weirs is Wimborne AC though the owner may let visitors fish. In the past this area had some excellent roach and chub fishing with some perch and dace but in winter it's subject to high water levels and may not be fishable much of the time - I used to fish the north bank a lot in summer many years ago with casters for big roach but more likely to get small roach now.
Not far upstream Sturminster & Hinton AA have about 10 miles of water with day tickets from a couple of places in the town - see their website - that offers a variety of water that is good for roach, chub and perch with some bream and even, if you're lucky, tench. Some of the river is deep and slow, other parts shallow and fast. No barbel this far up. Float fishing bread punch/maggots for the roach, flake for the chub over liquidised bread. Access can be tricky as many long walks but some easier bits to access. I tend to travel light, leaving the keepnet at home.
Blandford DAC (day tickets from Conyers in Blandford) also have some water just up from Blandford though I haven't fished their water for many years, used to be mainly roach, with the river much bigger than further up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm thinking of going down before end of the season as well. Possibly to the Avon for a change though as I've only fished it once compared to that handful or so sessions on the stour. What the targets would be would depend on what conditions I find I guess.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Been a long time since I fished the Stour, my Army days in the late 60s and one year in 1973. I fished at Durweston and between Charlton Marshall and Spetisbury. Mainly targeting the roach. Used to walk a long way when I was younger and fitter.

baz1

Thanks a million for all your advice, gentlemen. Unfortunately, I have been outvoted by the sisters and we are now going back to Christchurch for that week. Not to grumble though, if I get the tides right, I can fish in their back garden, and there is always the chance of a day on the Royalty. Once again, many thanks.