River Soar, TJs Angling Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I left Swansea at 1.25pm for a gentle drive to Loughborough. All was going well until I hit the M42. From Junction 1 is was a crawl, and the signs said it would be the same up until Junction 7 so I pulled off onto the M40, then went down to Warwick then up the A46 to Coventry then onto the M69. About 25 miles further but a lot quicker.

I arrived at Loughborough about 5.45pm, to be welcomed by a phone call from Trev to say he couldnt make it until the Saturday morning. Some excuse about all his gear getting wet the previous night, or some other ridiculous story. (Joking Trev).

After getting a meal in Tescos and filling the car up with much needed go-go juice I followed the directions I was given and made my way to TJs water. A lovely stretch of the River Soar. There I was met my Scott and Dave. The Friday evening was spent mainly getting to know my hosts plus a couple of hours fishing. Of course a couple of beers didnt go amiss.

I woke up at six in the morning, and set up three rods. One was my 11 foot medium feeder, the second a float with a waggler set up and also my carp rod.

Trev arrived about 7am, and we had a natter until he moved off to a barbell swim. I will let Trev tell the story of his weekend. Suffice to say at times I hate him with a passion, especially when he catches all the decent fish. Here is Trev in his swim.

Datafile.jpg

I had some success with the float rod, catching dace, bleak, gudgeon and minnows, plus a small chub. I had one cracking bite and as I was playing the fish I slipped down the bank and landed in the water, up to my knees. I lost the fish unfortunately.

Scott came down and gave me a few hints, which helped improve my catch rate. Thanks Scott.

Later in the day I used the ledger and the carp rod. I had three bream, the biggest weighing 2lb10oz, on the ledger rod and a chub of about half a pound on the carp rod.

Datafile.jpg

I then had a good bream on the carp rod but it took me into the rushes and even with Daves help I lost it, but not to mind because within 10 minutes I had this, my biggest bream off the ledger rod a fish of 2lb 12. Not big my most peoples standards but as I havent caught bream on a river before I was well chuffed. Thanks Scott for taking the photographs.

Datafile.jpg

Of course as is the hosts perks Scott and Dave set up in two good swims and Scott had a nice bag of bream. 22lb 12 oz in total.

Datafile.jpg

Day two was a big learning curve for me, using a stick float for the first time. Again Scott spent time helping me get set up and showing me the way to fish the stick float. I had some success but I did keep missing bites, but then practice will make perfect. I wont be an absolute duffer when I go on the Trent, I just might appear so.

At half past one I started packing up my gear, I had to be home by 6pm for a previous engagement. After a good natter with Dave and Scott and saying cheerio to Trev I made my way home, once more to be met with holdups on the M42.

I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Thank you Dave and Scott for your welcome and the excellent fishing. I am only sorry that others who promised to be there let you down. I know Dai would have enjoyed it if he hadnt been ill. Still at least Trev and myself know what they missed. I apologise for the quality of the photographs but I am using a cheap Lidls digital camera.

I hope to be there again on the first Saturday in September, and I assure you if I lived closer I would buy a season ticket. Once again thanks lads, and catch up with you again soon.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Nice one Geoff, looks like you had a good time with some nice fish, and you are right I would have enjoyed the fish-in as I have done with all the ones I have been to, I am still pig sick that I had to miss it but the leg would not have stood up to a full weekend, and I hope I can arrange a trip up to see the lads sometime soon.

Now that you are a seasoned river angler I will be looking to you for some tips when we go up to the Trent lol, I managed a few hours at Hazel court on sat with my son Daniel paying for it today though I can hardly move (more on the welsh fish-in page).

Dai Fish

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Geoff,

Good report and well done on your escapade into river fishing.I am sure i saw a smile under that beard with your fish.

Well done also to Scott,Dave and of course Trev for making it special for him.Long way to travel to meet good friends.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one Geoff a good weekend's fishin by the look of it icon_smile.gif

Dave

MALC

Well done lads,

It sounds like a good weekend was had and it's nice to see a river thats got plenty of fish.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Great weekend Geoff, what a cracking pair of lads they turned out to be!
AND rivers!
No one would fish anywhere else, if all rivers produced such a variety and such sport.
Geoff, next time, let me get my head back up! icon_smile_big.gif

Cya at Wales and thanks again Scott and Dave!

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Geoff!!
A float rod???
Whatever next???
Will the trusty pole be appearing on the auction site???

Glad you enjoyed your river session,you'll be needing a pair of waders next

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Nice one Geoff, good report and good time had by all,
Did you have to wake Trev up to take his pic. (asleep stood up)icon_smile_big.gif

teepee.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
Geoff!!
A float rod???
Whatever next???
Will the trusty pole be appearing on the auction site???

Glad you enjoyed your river session,you'll be needing a pair of waders next

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Not only a float rod but a feeder which caught me a couple of bream, and a CARP rod which caught me a bream and a small chub. And there was me thinking I wasn't an allrounder. icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif
Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Edited by - Geoff P on 12 August 2002 10:40:29 PM

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
Nice one Geoff, good report and good time had by all,
Did you have to wake Trev up to take his pic. (asleep stood up)icon_smile_big.gif

teepee.

Wake up Trev to take his picture!!!icon_smile_shock.gif He is of the old school. The thought of a camera and Trev is on his feet smiling without anybody saying cheese.icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gifPoser, and to think I took the photograph of his barbel.

I have to say good on yer Trev mate, it is always a pleasure fishing with you, unfortunately the boobytrapped platform didn't work. LOL

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Edited by - Geoff P on 12 August 2002 10:49:53 PM

Hope you don't mind Geoff but i is busy sorting your report out to go on our web site hopfuly it'll be on by tomorrow night. Under the heading fisherman's tale's.
Would you like to know what you where talking about in your sleep!icon_smile_big.gif

www.tjsangling.co.uk
stickfloatking@tjsangling.co.uk

Larry

Lazarus
Look' s like i missed a good weekend well done ,Trev.Geoff,Dave &Scott.Car still no good got to wait for a part to come from Citreon Dealer's,if it's like the last time i shan't even make the Welsh Fish in.
I'm not "happy larry" but an "unhappy Larry"

Cheer's Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.