river severn

Status
Not open for further replies.

petelawrence

hi everyone I'm new to this forum and was after some information about the river Severn. i live near Doncaster and i am planning a trip to the Severn for the first time in a couple of weeks time. i have read about a stretch of water at Hampton Loade and would like any information that you could give me on this venue ie:are day tickets available on the bank. local tackle shops or contacts. thanks in anticipation and tight lines to all

dward1996

Life Member
The Hampton Loade stretch of the River Severn is controlled by Kinver Freeliners Angling Club. It can be fished on a 4 day ticket (tickets are available on the bank from their bailiff) according to the club website. You can find more information about it here.

The homepage of the club website can be found here.

quivertip

phil
birmingham aa also have two stretches of water at hampton loade..
www.baa.uk.com

petelawrence

thanks for the information lads, the kinver freeliners section seems to be my best option being able to get tickets on the bank. it would have been nice though to try a few stretches but the availability of day tickets on the bank seems somewhat restricted and unfortunately I'm not a local lad and don't know the area at all. thanks again and tight lines

johnny5

this sounds appealing...

has anyone got directions to the Freeliners Hampton Loade stretch?

The Runner

Site Supporter
Just got back from a week on the Severn around Bridgnorth and fished the Kinver Freeliners stretch a couple of times as we do every year.. Access is down the road to Hampton Loade (signposted for the River and Rail pub) off the road between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth on the East side of the river. If your Satnav tells you that you can cross the river by car at HL, don't believe it ! Turn left at the bottom of the hill at the River and Rail and park at the end of the lane (1 in the honesty box as signposted)

Fair to say that theres barbel in virtually every swim. The early pegs are very inviting but you get a lot of anglers on the far bank so I prefer to walk a fair way down. Cant remember the peg numbers (in any case a lot of them have vanished) but would recommend the peg just above the rapid (theres an old caravan base embedded in the gravel- fish from there), then a couple of swims about 200 yards down from here just past a stile with no fence, and then anywhere in the two short meadows and one short cornfield to the bottom boundary.Downstream end peg is very good at far end of cornfield, as is the first peg into the cornfield although this entails getting into the water if you dont want to fish from 5 ft up.
If theres a bit of water on the swim just past the big dead tree at the end of the first field can be very good.
Sure anyone who lives more locally will give better info, but the above is from what I've found over the years.

petelawrence

i will be down at Hampton Loade on Monday so any last minute information on baits - tactics or anything else in general that you think will help me would be appreciated thanks again and tight lines
PS
can you tell me if the Unicorn inn at Hampton Loade is on the kinver freeliners side of the river thanks again

johnny5

Pete,

I know for a fact that the Unicorn is on the opposite bank (the right bank). I think it's more or less right opposite the main car park, by the River and Rail pub.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Unicorn is on other side of the River.
Dont use the Nat Trust car park by the River and Rail, save yourself a few hundred yards walk by turning left here and parking at the end of the lane near what used to be the Lion pub.
Tactics wise its pellet pellet and pellet. Kamasan Black Cap feeder (could hold with 30gm in most swims last week)filled with 4ml pellets, and hair rigged 8ml at the sharp end. Noticeable this year that we all did better fishing a longer hooklength than previously, around 2'6" to 3', but shorten it if you start getting little taps that come to nothing. Mostly last week it was a case of two or three fish straightaway, then quietish until 2pm or so.
You can also have a good day on the float here with chub and roach (Caster, hemp & tare) but we struggled a bit on this last week with a nasty permanent downstream wind.
The "caravan base" swim I mentioned above is actually just above the second set of rapids downstream.
Also worth taking a length of knotted rope to tie round a tree or bankstick to assist in getting up and down the bank which is very awkward in places.

petelawrence

thanks for the input lads I'm sure with all your help it will be a memorable and enjoyable trip, hopefully with the odd decent barbel. i will keep you posted as to how i got on when i get back on Thursday thanks again and tight lines

djhaze2004

if i was you i would go to bridgenorth tackle and get a day ticket for there stretch it is a better stretch than hampton loade

Status
Not open for further replies.