River Seven

Trevor c

Not sure, the others will know. But i have given you some accommodation/location suggestions you asked for.(y)
Sorry I missed your message I've just found it thanks for that,is the golf course stretch still any good? We were toying with the idea of going to the wye in July or another trip on the Severn but not sure which is better

Northantslad

'Any indications?
No probs, it was wrapped up in my usual biblical size post.
Golf course can be, but bit deeper largely and more a winter stretch i think. June wise you don't want to be too far away from the shallows, or at least riffles then deepening off, or vice versa. Golf course is more consistently deep overall.

Danesford if going day ticket route may be your best for a chance of a Barbel and in relative peace.
Best advice so far, may be the BAA route however.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Problem with day tickets especially smaller places in high season is you can land there early in peace and quiet then literally a few hours later every peg is taken.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Problem with day tickets especially smaller places in high season is you can land there early in peace and quiet then literally a few hours later every peg is taken.

Yep, but you have got your peg, as much as it rules out changing peg if needed though later on, so a fair factor of course.
Depends what you want i suppose, i don't mind anywhere personally with every peg taken, just not at day break.
Mind you at Danesford, it won't be day break, wait for tackle shop to open first for the ticket....

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Yep, but you have got your peg, as much as it rules out changing peg if needed though later on, so a fair factor of course.
Depends what you want i suppose, i don't mind anywhere personally with every peg taken, just not at day break.
Mind you at Danesford, it won't be day break, wait for tackle shop to open first for the ticket....
Get a BAA and there's no waiting to buy a ticket, get there at the crack of dawn.

Trevor c

I think we will get a baa book and ask in the tackle shop the places to go not far from Bewdley or bridge north where the chub n barbel are,Ive had some fantastic barbel fishing below the bridge in Bewdley on the stick float holding back but don't know if its any good nowadays

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Good narrowing to that stretch for the float yes at Bewdley.
Bit of advice at this point, get your info before you go, none of our party ever had much joy with info from the tackle shop, spent plenty in there though between us over the years.
Realising at this point that i don't think i would get a job in promoting the local scene there, so will duck out now, just isn't the draw it used to be for me when all added up lately.

The BAA ticket may be the way for me to go mulling it over @carphauler .
All the best Trevor, wherever you end up and tight lines.

Trevor c

Good narrowing to that stretch for the float yes at Bewdley.
Bit of advice at this point, get your info before you go, none of our party ever had much joy with info from the tackle shop, spent plenty in there though between us over the years.
Realising at this point that i don't think i would get a job in promoting the local scene there, so will duck out now, just isn't the draw it used to be for me when all added up lately.

The BAA ticket may be the way for me to go mulling it over @carphauler .
All the best Trevor, wherever you end up and tight lines.
Thanks for your help its much appreciated, I might try the wye as ive had good times there in the last few years, tight lines fella

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In the process of booking a week on severn backend of September/start of October. Not entirely sure where yet til we get dates confirmed. Will probably fish a few different bits whilst we are there as has been said I imagine the holiday bits can get busy at times so probably won’t be able to get on wherever we stay for the whole week.

corkycat

I travel from Lancashire to fish the Severn and there are two places where I stay, and literally fish out of the boot of my car. The first is the Mytton and Mermaid Hotel at Atcham, just downstream of Shrewsbury. They do great meals and breakfasts, and own three pegs in the hotel garden. Reading that stretch can be a bit of a challenge though because there are shallow glides and gravelly runs as well as the odd deeper hole, but it holds some cracking chub and barbel, as well as smaller silvers. See the first two pictures

The second is the Riverside Inn at Coundale, on the A458 between Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth. Again there are pegs in the hotel grounds with features similar to those mentioned above. Two years ago I had my PB chub of 6lb 4oz and PB barbel of 8lb 10lb, also bream to 4lb. See last two pictures. The hotel was sold last year to the Chef and Brewer chain, but has obviously not re-opened yet, and I don't know if they will be doing accommodation when they do.

Attachments

• 20200716_120818.jpg
    20200716_120818.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200716_141955.jpg
    20200716_141955.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 10
  • fish 032.jpg
    fish 032.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 10
  • fish 029.jpg
    fish 029.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 9

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I travel from Lancashire to fish the Severn and there are two places where I stay, and literally fish out of the boot of my car. The first is the Mytton and Mermaid Hotel at Atcham, just downstream of Shrewsbury. They do great meals and breakfasts, and own three pegs in the hotel garden. Reading that stretch can be a bit of a challenge though because there are shallow glides and gravelly runs as well as the odd deeper hole, but it holds some cracking chub and barbel, as well as smaller silvers. See the first two pictures

The second is the Riverside Inn at Coundale, on the A458 between Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth. Again there are pegs in the hotel grounds with features similar to those mentioned above. Two years ago I had my PB chub of 6lb 4oz and PB barbel of 8lb 10lb, also bream to 4lb. See last two pictures. The hotel was sold last year to the Chef and Brewer chain, but has obviously not re-opened yet, and I don't know if they will be doing accommodation when they do
Looks like a nice bit of river that 👍🏻

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Atcham was one of the premium waters in the 70's & 80's but is a pale shadow of it's former self these days.

squimp

Site Supporter
But if you stay at the M and M you get exclusive access to that bit of river. Worth its weight in gold to me.

corkycat has demonstrated there are still decent fish to be had.

As an aside I fish some of the BAA water on the lower river and it is quiet.

Team KDB

Is the tackle shop still open in Bridgnorth on the RH bank (Low Town)near the bridge was run by a woman called Rose or Rosa I think 🤔
Used to get day ticket,bait,tackle and she was full of good inside information on the local area and we always caught with her advice.

drw

Site Supporter
Is the tackle shop still open in Bridgnorth on the RH bank (Low Town)near the bridge was run by a woman called Rose or Rosa I think 🤔
Used to get day ticket,bait,tackle and she was full of good inside information on the local area and we always caught with her advice.
No not there anymore go back across bridge and just on the right is a new tackle shop