River Seven

Trevor c

Evening all im after advice for where to stay and fish on the river Severn end of June? Looking for chub barbel etc,going with my brother and don't want to drive too far from base,also any help with accommodation cheers in advance trev

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I live between Bridgnorth and Bewdley on the Middle Severn which I presume will be a good location for you, but I'm not very good with where there is accommodation. Quite a few on here fish the Severn and will know though so you should get some good answers.

On the Middle Severn you have the Unicorn Inn at Hampton Loade but I don't know what it's like for bookings etc. But you might want to consider finding somewhere nearby and travelling to the river. If you buy a BAA card for £40 a year that will give you miles of river to go at, as other than free Town stretches at Bridgnorth and Bewdley, the only day ticket stretches I know of are Highley and Hampton Loade.

Sure someone will be able to help you better than me though as there are other locals and people who do a similar trip on here.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Lucky ********** It's only fair that you offer camping facilities in your garden to all Maggotdrowners :)
Do love company on the river, so roll on next season when hopefully I'll get to fish with a few people, anyone that wants to.

Trevor c

I live between Bridgnorth and Bewdley on the Middle Severn which I presume will be a good location for you, but I'm not very good with where there is accommodation. Quite a few on here fish the Severn and will know though so you should get some good answers.

On the Middle Severn you have the Unicorn Inn at Hampton Loade but I don't know what it's like for bookings etc. But you might want to consider finding somewhere nearby and travelling to the river. If you buy a BAA card for £40 a year that will give you miles of river to go at, as other than free Town stretches at Bridgnorth and Bewdley, the only day ticket stretches I know of are Highley and Hampton Loade.

Sure someone will be able to help you better than me though as there are other locals and people who do a similar trip on here.
Thanks for your reply 👍 the last time I came we fished a stretch near a golf course but cant remember which one but that was excellent

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hope you find somewhere, I don't know the golf course stretch but am fairly new to the area myself having only moved a couple of years ago, so the only places I really fish myself are Arley RB (great Barbel spot) and Hampton Loade LB on Kinver Freeliners dayticket.

tunna

The Golf course is more than likely the Bridgnorth AS stretch above the town, tickets where available from Bridgenorth angling tackle shop, just before you went over the bridge, but that closed a few years back, not sure if middle Severn angling over the bridge sells them : 01746 769070
Bridgnorth AS on Facebook

Dslayer

dslayer
Hope you find somewhere, I don't know the golf course stretch but am fairly new to the area myself having only moved a couple of years ago, so the only places I really fish myself are Arley RB (great Barbel spot) and Hampton Loade LB on Kinver Freeliners dayticket.
Golf course stretch I think is probably just upstream of Bridgnorth (about 1/2 - 1 mile) and controlled by Bridgnorth AS.... If so then bank directly opposite is BAA....

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Falcon in Bridgnorth does accommodation, but looking at how upmarket it seems to be going lately, not sure if the warm welcome we have experienced in recent years will go on much longer for fisherman, not sure, but can't fault them so far and to date.
Felt a bit out of place sat there drinking lager at 5pm with people sat eating sea bass and more smartly dressed people than me with my boots off next to me, my camo and a distinct smell of halibut emanating from my seat, which wasn't on the menu......
The golf course stretch is a short drive out of Bridgnorth on high town side, car park, then walk down the line of fir trees and you are there. Tickets in advance from the tackle shop in Bridgnorth.
Likewise you have Danesford, a short drive out of Bridgnorth from the low town side, again tickets from the tackle shop and a parking ticket in advance.

Plenty of B&B, cottages, cabins on the bank at Highley-Burt the bailiff has some i think and can put you right. It may be a shout, as the place is a right circus lately and you need to be there in the dark to get a peg for the day and that's if night anglers aren't in them already, so wandering out of an adjacent accommodation may help. Or you could sit in and wait for a peg to become free, then out you go.
The ship inn pub on the banks at Highley also does accomodation.

A bit old school this next suggestion, but always ads for Severn fishing accommodation in the back of the angling times (comes out on a Tuesday).

Apologies for any sarcasm but if you want good Barbel and chub fishing severn wise lately, then joining BAA may be the only answer to get away from almost commercial like situations.

Last edited:

Trevor c

The Golf course is more than likely the Bridgnorth AS stretch above the town, tickets where available from Bridgenorth angling tackle shop, just before you went over the bridge, but that closed a few years back, not sure if middle Severn angling over the bridge sells them : 01746 769070
Bridgnorth AS on Facebook
That sounds familiar 🤔 any help where to stay stretches that are good would be appreciated 👍

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Falcon in Bridgnorth does accommodation, but looking at how upmarket it seems to be going lately, not sure if the warm welcome we have experienced in recent years will go on much longer for fisherman, not sure, but can't fault them so far and to date.
Felt a bit out of place sat there drinking lager at 5pm with people sat eating sea bass and more smartly dressed people than me with my boots off next to me, my camo and a distinct smell of halibut emanating from my seat, which wasn't on the menu......
The golf course stretch is a short drive out of Bridgnorth on high town side, car park, then walk down the line of fir trees and you are there. Tickets in advance from the tackle shop in Bridgnorth.
Likewise you have Danesford, a short drive out of Bridgnorth from the low town side, again tickets from the tackle shop and a parking ticket in advance.

Plenty of B&B, cottages, cabins on the bank at Highley-Burt the bailiff has some i think and can put you right. It may be a shout, as the place is a right circus lately and you need to be there in the dark to get a peg for the day and that's if night anglers aren't in them already, so wandering out of an adjacent accommodation may help. Or you could sit in and wait for a peg to become free, then out you go.
The ship inn pub on the banks at Highley also does accomodation.

A bit old school this next suggestion, but always ads for Severn fishing accommodation in the back of the angling times (comes out on a Tuesday).

Apologies for any sarcasm but if you want good Barbel and chub fishing severn wise lately, then joining BAA may be the only answer to get away from almost commercial like situations.
Yeh, I'd never fish Highley by the ship again, couldn't get on any decent(safe) pegs because holiday makers had planted their gear on the pegs then buggered off, plus it's night fished.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
That's about the size of it mate yes. Best ive seen, were some far from holiday maker types, more experienced looking Barbellers. Day time, bite alarms on, remotely linked to a device, sat in the pub beer garden and running down the river to the peg when the alarm went off.

I joke not.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
That's about the size of it mate yes. Best ive seen, were some far from holiday maker types, more experienced looking Barbellers. Day time, bite alarms on, remotely linked to a device, sat in the pub beer garden and running down the river to the peg when the alarm went off.

I joke not.
I wonder if that's why I found 26 feeders in a bay opposite 50 yards downstream 🤔

Northantslad

'Any indications?
My mate talking about the next trip being up to 8 of us later in the year, it may become 7 yet, as much as i love the river, the place, the surroundings and the craic, i have found the usual day ticket haunts HL, Highley etc, to become very peggy to a point where it becomes somewhat pointless beyond say 3 may be 4 noted pegs worth going at. In recent years some of the group have started fishing different sections, which defeats the object of fishing 'with' your mates. Firm believer and in terms of getting THE pegs, the early bird catches the worm and we are early, so are other anglers/groups/parties too, works both ways, so fair play to anyone wishing to get their peg. Its just a rat race that does my nut in to be honest.

All peace and tranquility on the rivers.......not anymore.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
My mate talking about the next trip being up to 8 of us later in the year, it may become 7 yet, as much as i love the river, the place, the surroundings and the craic, i have found the usual day ticket haunts HL, Highley etc, to become very peggy to a point where it becomes somewhat pointless beyond say 3 may be 4 noted pegs worth going at. In recent years some of the group have started fishing different sections, which defeats the object of fishing 'with' your mates.
Depending on how many days you're fishing a BAA ticket would be better, there's loads of stretches that are rarely fished if you're prepared for a walk, negating that there's still plenty of nice quiet places.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I like to point out the realities to people and re day ticket stretches, no feature or a documented session on a nice private stretch thank you very much will ever do that.

Yes mate, we factored in Arley on BAA and what i see as the middle ground between day ticket and private and fished it on the trip in the season before it went over to membership (day tickets purchased in advance). I just can't justify the cost of a membership for the number of times a year i get up there.

Last edited:

Trevor c

I like to point out the realities to people and re day ticket stretches, no feature or a documented session on a nice private stretch thank you very much will ever do that.

Yes mate, we factored in Arley on BAA and what i see as the middle ground between day ticket and private and fished it on the trip in the season before it went over to membership (day tickets purchased in advance). I just can't justify the cost of a membership for the number of times a year i get up there.
How much is
Depending on how many days you're fishing a BAA ticket would be better, there's loads of stretches that are rarely fished if you're prepared for a walk, negating that there's still plenty of nice quiet places.
How much is a baa book? And how much is a day ticket,? My brother and I are booked in for June and want some good fishing not a rat race

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Not sure, the others will know. But i have given you some accommodation/location suggestions you asked for.(y)

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
How much is

How much is a baa book? And how much is a day ticket,? My brother and I are booked in for June and want some good fishing not a rat race
No day tickets anymore, £40 for the year January to January, I think it's £30 concessions.
Average commercial round here is £8 so go 5 times and you've had your money's worth.