River Season Half Way Point Review

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Old or new pictures I enjoyed them. I will be fishing my local club`s main lake tomorrow, I have fished it countless times and although
I will enjoy the session stillwaters for me get a bit samey, if only I had silverfishers rivers near me, have to admit I`m a tad jealous.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Old or new pictures I enjoyed them. I will be fishing my local club`s main lake tomorrow, I have fished it countless times and although
I will enjoy the session stillwaters for me get a bit samey, if only I had silverfishers rivers near me, have to admit I`m a tad jealous.
Thanks mate glad to hear it 👍🏻

And yes I’m very lucky to live around here as a river angler. Got loads of the Thames within 20-30 minutes drive along with a few bits of the Avon and Ouse within 30-40 minutes.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Stillwater or river, tomorrows session will have something that never changes. A nice lunch in the fresh air:)

smiffy

Site Supporter
Can’t give you a half way review. My river season is to start shortly.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t give you a half way review. My river season is to start shortly.
Is amazing the contrast around the country rivers wise isn’t it. The Thames is very much a first half of the season river these days. There is good fishing to be had second half, just different and more difficult styles to first half, the problem is the windows of opportunity are few and far between as it spends most of the second half flooded or near flooded. When it is dry second half it generally means it’s cold so it then becomes real hard.

The Avon and Ouse aren’t as moody though. They flood even more often but also run off quicker and seem to switch back on after colder spells quicker as well. Problem is their location isn’t quite as close as the Thames so with the shorter winter days they aren’t as accessible so I don’t get to fish them as often nor do I see them regularly in non fishing life to get an idea of their condition.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Is amazing the contrast around the country rivers wise isn’t it. The Thames is very much a first half of the season river these days. There is good fishing to be had second half, just different and more difficult styles to first half, the problem is the windows of opportunity are few and far between as it spends most of the second half flooded or near flooded. When it is dry second half it generally means it’s cold so it then becomes real hard.

The Avon and Ouse aren’t as moody though. They flood even more often but also run off quicker and seem to switch back on after colder spells quicker as well. Problem is their location isn’t quite as close as the Thames so with the shorter winter days they aren’t as accessible so I don’t get to fish them as often nor do I see them regularly in non fishing life to get an idea of their condition.
If I’m perfectly honest, floods or high water don’t bother me. The fish are still there, it’s just up to us to work out how to catch them. You are far more likely to blank on a cold, clear river than a flooded one👍So long as it’s safe to fish then more people should give it a go.
Ive had some nice nets of Bream fishing a yard from the bank on a flooded Suffolk Stour. Chub will suddenly love groundbait and massive Roach suddenly forget everything they’ve learnt.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If I’m perfectly honest, floods or high water don’t bother me. The fish are still there, it’s just up to us to work out how to catch them. You are far more likely to blank on a cold, clear river than a flooded one👍So long as it’s safe to fish then more people should give it a go.
Ive had some nice nets of Bream fishing a yard from the bank on a flooded Suffolk Stour. Chub will suddenly love groundbait and massive Roach suddenly forget everything they’ve learnt.
High water is one thing but when you can’t tell where the river is in relation to the field it’s a bit of a challenge! My general plan weather permitting on the Thames is to target bream on the warmer days when the waters brown chub on the colder ones when its usually a little clearer. It’s not been low and clear in winter in my whole time fishing it! On the Avon I find you can often still fish for mixed bags provided it’s neither too cold or too coloured. Well that’s the plan but if it’s not flooded from Christmas onwards I’d be amazed as that seems to be the norm now.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm probably missing some good fishing on the Severn in winter if the weather is reasonable but muddy banks = no thanks! So I go for venues of comfort.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just read this back after a like notification popped up and blimey you can tell I didn’t get the chance to proof read it! Bit embarrassingly bad in places my apologies 😂😅

dave brittain 1

I've only fished the rivers once this year and that was the Wye Charity match where I caught 30 lbs of dace and bleak for a very nice days fishing. Tonight was the section draw for the Wye Champs where I've drawn D section where there will be 20 pegs on the Asda bank with the individual peg draw in the Asda car park in the morning.

It's a good way of doing it as the Wye is so diverse and it gives you the opportunity to lighten your kit and order bait according to what section you're in. For me it'll be a two whip, 2 long line to hand poles and possible 2 float rods, however the bait bill is a killer, with a kilo of worms, 4 pints of caster 4 pints of hemp, 4 pints of maggots and 8kgs of groundbait. Add a 2 hrs drive and it's a very expensive match however it's a one off and a special venue.

With rain forecast heavy on Wednesday night and then moderate on Thurs- Sunday, the river will be carrying some extra water and could be 4-5ft up, perfect conditions as long as it's steady or dropping. Weight wise, draw the right end of the section and 60lbs of roach could be on the cards so for many a very good days fishing despite the very expensive bait bill.

I have to say I'm looking forward to it. In years gone past I'd have been fishing matches on rivers every week from June 16th through to mid March which just goes to show how fishing has changed over the years

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Much the same as ever, depending on where I fish, shed loads of dace and trout. Unusually, I managed to find some early season chub that hung around into the new season for a change. The only good thing about the delayed spring. Now we are genuinely into Autumn, the (decent sized) dace, perch, gudgeon and occasional roach of the summer are giving way to grayling and tiny dace. The positive aspect is that there seem to be a few more decent grayling than there have been in recent years.

The delayed spring actually meant that I've done more river fishing than normal this year. It took far too long for the tench to get going properly. They then spawned shortly after. By the time they settled after spawning the weed went ballistic. I got sick to death of raking and beat a retreat to the rivers.

In years gone past I'd have been fishing matches on rivers every week from June 16th through to mid March which just goes to show how fishing has changed over the years
Although I'm sure you know it's diminishing, I suspect you might still be surprised just how little match fishing activity there is on your former local rivers these days. Covid seems to have put paid to much of what was left in the last year or so.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The matches here are mostly first half of the season, they’ll start thinning out from now on. Probably mostly because half those scheduled from now on have to be cancelled due to floods but also because they start to become incredibly peggy. Through the first half of the season it’s roach dominated so most people across the field catch at least half decent weights with the top few getting good weights but second half of the season a few people will do well on bream and occasionally chub but most of the field will catch very little at all.