River Season Half Way Point Review

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So after bailing out of having another session this morning judging by next weekends forecast I’ve probably fished my last river session before next Sunday marks the halfway point of the session. So given I now have the morning free I thought I’d do another halfway point review after the one I did last season proved quite popular. For those I read my reports it’ll be a bit repetitive but hopefully still interesting to read sequentially. If my memory is right so far I’ve had 28 sessions across 17 pegs on 10 stretches of 3 rivers so this will waffley and picture heavy but hopefully interesting to at least some again.

June: 1 session Thames

Well the less said about June the better really as I had just 1 session at medley that was a shocker. Had probably not a lot more than 3lb of bits and bobs in like 6-7 hours on what was a pretty grim day as well. It’s always tough first fortnight but that was next level tough! My next session then got rained off so I actually finished the month on a Stillwater which I rarely do first half of the river season. At least the rain had topped the river up though for the following month. Nothing even picture worthy for June I’m afraid.

July: 6 sessions all Thames

My first session of July came on the second Friday of the month with the river nicely refreshed from the previous weeks rain and it stayed in good nick right up until the last week of the month. That first session was on the sandford old channel which went really well as I had probably around 18lb in about 7 hours of mostly roach with a decent number of silver bream mostly on hemp on waggler and stick but with a few to maggot on feeder. Couple days later I was back on the bank this time at medley and tbh made a bit of a hash of it in terms of switching between waggler and stick at the wrong times but probably still had close to if not 10lb in 7 about hours of mostly roach with a decent numbers of skimmers. The following Friday I was back on the sandford old channel and had what is still my best bag of the season at probably somewhere around 22lb of mostly roach in around 7 hours mostly on hemp and waggler. I went back down there the following morning as well to fish a different swim and had maybe 6lb of mostly roach again on waggler and hemp in 3 hours. The following Friday I made a last return of the month to the old channel and whilst it was a bit tougher then for seemingly no apparent reason I still had probably not far shy of 15lb again in about 7 hours of mostly roach on hemp and waggler. A few dace, chublet and of course bleak were involved in all those sessions as well. I then finished the month with a quick 1.5 hour exploratory first ever session at Kennington on stick and maggot. The river was getting a bit low by then so was tricky but I ended up with probably best part of a couple pounds of roach, skimmers and too many bleak.

1635060290965.jpeg

1635060306928.jpeg

1635060330951.jpeg

1635060359409.jpeg

1635060432857.jpeg

1635060453545.jpeg

1635060499492.jpeg

August: 5 sessions Thames 2 sessions Warwickshire Avon

First session of august was second weekend of the month at medley. The river was clear but at a reasonable level and after a slow start for a few bits and bobs on stick and maggot it then fished really well on waggler and hemp and I ended up with probably around 17lb of mostly roach in around 7 hours. Next session was a quick one the following morning at Northmoor which was a right struggle. Only fished for a couple hours on stick and maggot and probably didn’t even get a couple pounds of fish of which most were gudgeon! Next 3 sessions were short ones whilst on a boating holiday with friends. Less than an hour at cookham just saw me bleaked out with similar from a couple hours at marlow although did have a few other fish here before an hour at Maidenhead was more productive with a few decent dace and a lovely perch. I ended the month with a detour to the clearest Warwickshire Avon I’ve ever seen at wasperton. It desperately needed rain by then and it fished really hard on maggot on both stick and maggot with the first I think 6 hour ish session producing all of about 4lb of mostly tiny dace boosted by a few perch and the second 4 hour session way less than 3lb of much the same.

1635061279806.jpeg

1635061295288.jpeg

1635061318807.jpeg

1635061341569.jpeg

September: 1 session Warwickshire Avon, 4 sessions Thames, 4 sessions severn

September started with one last crack at the Warwickshire Avon at wasperton and given it still hasn’t rained it was rock hard again with probably barely over a couple pounds of mostly tiny dace on maggot on stick and waggler. Did have some roach on hemp but even they were tiny! That prompted me to return to the Thames the following day with Northmoor the venue. Even that was very much in need of rain by that stage so also fished hard although I didn’t help by being a bit indecisive in terms of how to fish it. As such about 7 hours produced at most about 7lbs of mostly roach and gudgeon to stick and maggot and hemp and waggler. Following that session though it finally rained and the river looked much better the following weekend on my next session which was opposite sandford meadows. I only had about 4.5 hours to fish that day but the fish were really up for it so I still had probably around 12lb of mostly roach on hemp and tares on waggler. More rain followed so the following Thursday a d Saturday I had a couple 7 hour use sessions back on the sandford old channel on hemp and tares on the waggler and had probably just over 15lb the first session and just under 15lb the second time both of mostly roach with a few dace, silver bream, chublet, bleak etc like there sessions there back in July. Those sessions ended the summer for me as the equinox taking us into autumn came between them and next 4 sessions which came on the severn at highley. The first session on quite a low river was reasonably productive with a couple decent chub on maggot and feeder ands handful of decent perch amongst bleak on stick and maggot for probably around 6lb in 3 hours. The next session was quite tough though in a tricky peg with a I think 6-7 hour sessions producing tops 6-7lb of mostly dace with a few gudgeon on stick and maggot. Then the rain came which took the river from low to lively much quicker than it does on the rivers back home and I then struggled not really knowing what to do it having the right gear! A quick 2 hour session only produced a couple small chub and gudgeon on maggot and feeder before I had a mammoth 10 hour session the next day. Almost half of that was spent blanking on various barbel baits on the feeder with the rest on maggot and feeder for maybe 5lb tops of bits and bobs most of which came from some nice dace and a small barbel.

1635062645403.jpeg

1635062668461.jpeg

1635062690308.jpeg

1635062717354.jpeg

1635062738315.jpeg

1635062762193.jpeg

1635062825822.jpeg

1635062854064.jpeg

1635062885318.jpeg

1635062906587.jpeg

1635062928407.jpeg

October: 5 sessions Thames

So October has seen me back on the the Thames with the first session coming second weekend of the month opposite Sandford meadows. The river was in good nick after the previous weeks rain and whilst I didn’t quite get it right in making the adjustments from autumn to summer I still had a good bag of maybe 13lb in about 7 hours of mostly roach some to maggot and stick most to hemp and tares on waggler. I returned to that spot the following Thursday and it was a lot harder. The river had dropped a little which may not have helped but the main issue was the massive increase in pike attacks compared to usual so I only ended up with maybe 9lb of mostly roach on hemp and waggler. The following Saturday I was back medley on which had virtually stopped flowing! Most the day with spent struggling for a few bits and bobs on stick and maggot but a busy late run of roach got me up to maybe 9lb in around 7 hours again. The next morning I decided to have another quick recce session at Kennington which whilst barely flowing had a nice tinge of colour to it. This time I had 3.5 hours to play with and the fishing was absolutely superb with maybe as much as say 17lb of mostly roach with a few good dace on waggler and maggot with possibly as much as a couple pounds of the bag coming from the biggest roach I’ve ever caught from the Thames! Buoyed by that I returned as soon as I could (ie yesterday) in a hope to repeat it. I was met by a very brown river this time which screamed bream more then roach typically when I had only float gear. Not really knowing how to fish it that turned out to be the hardest session I’ve ever had on the Thames in the first half of any season with probably only about 2lb in 5.5 hours of which over half would have been one good roach with the rest mostly bleak.

1635063771393.jpeg

1635063784061.jpeg

1635063825381.jpeg

1635063851504.jpeg

1635063880063.jpeg

1635063903742.jpeg

Summary:

To sum up whilst the severn and the Avon were a struggle (partly down conditions partly down to me not knowing what I was doing!) the Thames has generally fished very well through the first half of this season, only really getting hard when it’s got low. It’s certainly fished more consistently than last season which was a good one but more peaks and troughs whereas this season has had far more highs than lows. I think it’s mostly down to both the river and weather conditions being pretty stable this year as we’ve had lately through right amount of rain and it’s neither got too hot or too cold for very long at all. I do think I’ve fished it a bit better though having learnt a lot last year during essentially spending the furlough period on the bank. I’ve certainly got my gear more right this year in terns of the tackle itself and the use of it and probably more importantly figured out the feeding a bit more. But mostly it’s just a very good river to fish so anyone who knows roughly what they’re doing can do well on it if conditions are pretty good.

Well you’ve made it to the end hopefully most of you have enjoyed it and not nodded off as it was even more waffley than last year! I like reading other people’s posts of this style so I assume that at least a few others share the same sentiments. I didn’t do a second half review last year as I only managed 3 more sessions before the floods and travel restrictions ended the season before Christmas but hopefully I’ll get out more second half this time.

Attachments

• 1635063805538.jpeg
    1635063805538.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 17

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Mate you do some great write up's but I reckon it's now only Football Corner where you haven't reposted the same pictures. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Mate you do some great write up's but I reckon it's now only Football Corner where you haven't reposted the same pictures. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Don’t forget the golden peg 😂

Joking aside I do all my write ups in a style where they hopefully come across well to readers regular and new. Mostly I just do them for people to enjoy like I enjoy other people’s write ups but if the odd person sees a place they’ve been thinking of fishing and gets something beneficial out of it then all the better 👍🏻

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
Have I just got out of the Tardis?:unsure:......I'm sure I've seen all those photos before.....:oops:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have I just got out of the Tardis?:unsure:......I'm sure I've seen all those photos before.....:oops:
Well I did say it would be repetitive cant say you werent warned 😉 kind of the point of a review bit like match of the day to keep with the football corner theme 😅

As I say it’s for readers old and new 👍

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Apart from MOTD won't be showing this weekends games next week and the week after and the week after and the week after and ...........
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Apart from MOTD won't be showing this weekends games next week and the week after and the week after and the week after and ...........
Touché you’re sharp this morning maybe premier league years then 🤔😂

I‘ll say it again like MOTD it’s for both those who have and havent been following. I could have just done text I suppose but would just be one big waffle even more than it already is 😅

^^ Fair point you did that.....(y).......Have you considered changing your MD's name from "Silverfisher" to "Deja Vu?":unsure::whistle:;)
That would probably be cultural appropriation not being french and all that 😉

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
If you do persist with the same photos can I suggest that you try the Thumbnail option on the pictures.
Took me ten minutes to scroll through the post and that has caused me to suffer Roachblindness from seeing the same fish.

Total

Site Supporter
That would probably be cultural appropriation not being french and all that 😉
Would be far from it..., it might make the repetitive posts more apparent(y)....Anyways, not for me I'm afraid....Good luck with your future posts and your fishing.(y)..."Clickkkkk"

Browner

Site Supporter
Interestingly, for me the river season has only just started. In my opinion my local stretch doesn’t really start fishing until the first flood which is usually early autumn. Went yesterday and there was some flow and colour which made the roach feed and the bleak seem to disappear.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I enjoyed reading, it's always good when people put effort into their reports. I'd already read most of these but it's nice to have a recap. Unfortunately my Severn season is all but over at this point and my reports become a little more boring than usual as I head onto commercials, but I do have a hopefully a couple of good months left on the local river. It always seems to me the second half of the season is the longest.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I enjoyed reading, it's always good when people put effort into their reports. I'd already read most of these but it's nice to have a recap. Unfortunately my Severn season is all but over at this point and my reports become a little more boring than usual as I head onto commercials, but I do have a hopefully a couple of good months left on the local river. It always seems to me the second half of the season is the longest.
Thanks mate your reports are always good to read as well 👍🏻 My season will slow down now as well it gets less and less appealing to be outdoors from next month onwards. Just becomes about taking your chances in that weather windows doesn’t it!

Would be far from it..., it might make the repetitive posts more apparent(y)....Anyways, not for me I'm afraid....Good luck with your future posts and your fishing.(y)..."Clickkkkk"
I think the title made this one quite apparent 😂

Luckily they aren’t just for you as whilst I appreciate that they may not to your taste there are quite a few thousand members on here and no doubt plenty of guests, some of which obviously still enjoy them and others who just spend a lot less time on here than us saddos so may be reading a lot of things for the first time.

As a side note it would be nice for you to post a bit more about your own fishing, some of those reservoirs and docks you apparently fish sound genuinely interesting 👍🏻