River Season Half Time Review

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just realised that this weekend roughly marks the halfway point of the river season so I thought I’d fill a bit of time whilst I’m sat here a bit bored on this drab Thursday evening and do a sort of half time review of my time on the Thames and brief detour to the stour. Will be a bit repetitive for those who’ve read my reports but hopefully it’ll be of some interest to see it play out sequentially. If not will at least fill a bit of your evening as is a long read and picture heavy!

June: 9 sessions

The season started with a successful 16th with a comfortable double figure bag of mostly bleak and dace on wag and mag at Clifton hampden. That’s about as good as it got that month as the next 7 sessions both short and long were spent trying and failing to catch much other than bleak on a mix of waggler, stick, feeder and bomb in a very low river. The rain finally arrived so for the last session I switched to the sandford old channel and whilst I didn’t fish well that day I did pick up a few roach on hemp which set the plan for the next month.
1603996053355.jpeg
1603996169281.jpeg
1603996192711.jpeg
1603996212789.jpeg
1603996226795.jpeg
July: 12 sessions

With the river now in near perfect condition after being refreshed with rain and the roach now feeding on hemp July was spent on sandford old channel on mostly waggler and hemp. Out of the dozen sessions one was a right struggle and handful only bought modest single figures bags but half a dozen of them went well with one upper single figure bag and a handful of comfortable double figure bags ranging from probably about 12-18lb. As hemp was the bait quality roach obviously provided the overwhelming majority of the catches with dace, silver bream, chublet and inevitably bleak all making smaller contributions.
1603996556876.jpeg
1603996606428.jpeg
1603996663096.jpeg
1603996680195.jpeg
1603996697102.jpeg
1603996707176.jpeg
1603996719938.jpeg
August: 5 sessions

Bit of a drop in the number of sessions in august as I returned to work and the first few of those were tough in what was now becoming a very low river again. A last session on the sandford old channel was a proper struggle so that prompted a move to medley. I started on the feeder and had two very poor low single figure mixed bags on maggot (unless you count pike!) before a bit of a better bag that would have just about done double figures thanks to a couple bonus fish. Torrential rain followed which once it had subsided had left the river in good condition again and a switch to the stick on my last session of the month brought a comfortable double figure mixed bag of mostly roach and skimmers on a pretty even mix of hemp and maggot.

1603997168185.jpeg
1603997210425.jpeg
1603997227578.jpeg

1603997246049.jpeg
1603997266313.jpeg
1603997305926.jpeg

September: 5 sessions

With the river still in good condition September started well with a just about double figure bag of mostly roach at medley on the stick on a mix of hemp and maggot. The next session was a quick one at Northmoor which again bought mostly roach on the stick on hemp and maggot before a return to medley bought my best bag of the season. It must have gone over 20lb of almost all quality roach with some falling to maggot and hemp on the stick but most to hemp on the waggler. I had another quick session further up the stretch the next morning for a few roach before ending the month struggling mostly on the feeder in strong winds and a getting low river back at Northmoor for a low single figure bag.

1603997807268.jpeg
1603997828749.jpeg
1603997893689.jpeg
1603997907893.jpeg
1603997931464.jpeg

October: 5 sessions

October started with a change of scenery from the Thames with a trip to a Dorset Stour that was not long out of flood. A quick evening session produced a reasonable number of fish and the proper session bought me enough roach and dace to have bought a double figure bag if they were Thames stamp fish but were smaller so more bought an upper single figure bag. The next couple sessions were back on the Thames at medley on a river in good condition after the earlier rain. In the space of 5 days I had two good bags of probably either side of 15lb made up of mostly quality roach with a decent number of small dace, the first bag falling to mostly maggot and hemp on the stick and a bit of maggot on the feeder and the second to maggot on the stick. My last session of the month was back at sandford but not on the now near flooded old channel but down below the confluence of the old channel and lock down. In a very high river I struggled on the feeder and picked up my smallest bag of the season of just a few pounds.
1603998599297.jpeg 1603998687493.jpeg 1603998709206.jpeg
1603998621536.jpeg
1603998731218.jpeg
1603998769792.jpeg

Summary:

All in all as it’s by far the most sessions I’ve got in during a season by default I’ve had more good sessions than I’ve ever had before so therefore it’s been my best season to date. I’ve certainly got my money’s worth of my £12 season ticket and job lot of hemp! Now just a case of hoping the weather allows the second half of the season to even be half as good...

So you’ve made it to the end hopefully entertained possibly bored but either way I’ll have filled a bit of your evening!

Be good to hear how your seasons have gone so far as well?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Those pictures of roach made my day, in the sunlight and in lovely condition, what rivers are all about.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Those pictures of roach made my day, in the sunlight and in lovely condition, what rivers are all about.
Good to hear I've brightened up a rather dark and grim day! And yes roaching on rivers is my favourite fishing as I'm sure you can tell ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cracking read, makes me want to try river fishing!!
Thanks mate ?? and yeah give it a go! I love being it in and amongst real nature pitting myself against wild waters and wild fish. I'm lucky to live by such a productive river ?

Jimmy Bronze

Really great report.

Re the hemp - all season i have been using pet shop bought hemp and whilst it wasnt the biggest, it was big enough to hook/drill and wasnt bothered until i bought a tin as in a rush recently for a session and this hemp were nearly the size of a tare! Which if feeding regular seems too big.

Any observations?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Great report pal. ?. That perch had lovely coloration. I wish ours were that nice. Well done pal.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A good read with pics.....thanks for that.. (y)
Thanks glad you enjoyed ??

Really great report.

Re the hemp - all season i have been using pet shop bought hemp and whilst it wasnt the biggest, it was big enough to hook/drill and wasnt bothered until i bought a tin as in a rush recently for a session and this hemp were nearly the size of a tare! Which if feeding regular seems too big.

Any observations?
Thanks mate ??

I do prefer fairly decent sized hemp just for ease of hooking as much as anything but must say I haven’t come across as any as big as tares! I’ve mostly used home cooked but have used tinned a few times and I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference between the two results wise. Probably slightly more good sessions with tinned but by a fairly insignificant margin and probably just down to catching the conditions slightly better with it more than the hemp itself.

Great report pal. ?. That perch had lovely coloration. I wish ours were that nice. Well done pal.
Thanks mate ??

We do have some cracking perch around here, not had as many as usual this year as have been a bit roach minded but those I have had have been beauties ?

Robwooly

All those fish looked in amazing condition, great photos too, makes me wanna get down The Thames more next season even though we are only halfway through this

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All those fish looked in amazing condition, great photos too, makes me wanna get down The Thames more next season even though we are only halfway through this
Thanks mate ??

Tbh you are probably best waiting until next season to fish it now anyway as I suspect it’ll be cold brown mess for most of the rest of this season now lol

bezzer

Site Supporter
Fantastic read, thanks for taking the time to write it. Some beautiful Roach on show too.