River season a month in

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So we are a month into the river season now so I thought it would be interesting to see how people have got on so far? Always interesting to see how different rivers are fishing. Also what are people’s plans going forward?

I’ve done reports on most my sessions but below is a rough summary (can’t remember exact numbers of bleak for example!) of my proper sessions of reasonable length so far. Basically June was mostly tough and July mostly good!

16/6: about 6.5 hour session for about 25 dace, about 15 chublets, 5 roach, 1 skimmer, about 75 bleak
20/6: about 3.5 hour session for 8 chublet, 2 dace, 2 roach and about 25 bleak
22/6: about 6 hour session for 15 roach, 7 dace, 4 chublet, about 50 bleak.
26/6: about 6 hour session for 6 dace, 6 chublet, about 40 bleak
30/6: about 4 hour session for 15 roach, 1 chublet, 1 silver bream, about 20 bleak
1/7: about 4 hour session for 18 roach, 1 dace, 1 chublet, about 15 bleak
3/7: about 6 hour session for 26 roach, 2 dace, 1 chublet, about 11 bleak
6/7: about 6.5 hour session for 56 roach, 9 dace, 1 silver bream, 15 bleak
7/7: about 4 hour session for 10 roach, about 15 bleak
10/7: about 6.5 hour session for 31 roach, 1 dace, 1 silver bream, about 12 bleak.
13/7 about 4 hour session for 8 roach, 2 dace, 2 chublet, about 12 bleak
15/7 about 6.5 hour session for 58 roach, 6 silver bream, 5 dace, 4 chublet, 17 bleak

Plan for the rest of this month is to mostly keep chasing the roach but after that depends on when I eventually get back to work tbh!

adriang

Site Supporter
My last 2 sessions on the Thames have been better than June, things (including my skills) are improving.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah from the look of your last session you’re finding your groove ??

To be fair to you June is always pretty naff just a case of muddling through until July. Apart from opening day I really struggled until we got into July and the roach woke up and switched onto hemp then almost all has been well since lol

adriang

Site Supporter
Yep, I'm thinking about an afternoon session tomorrow to see if I can keep it going. To be honest, I feel the last 2 sessions were cut short in their prime.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep I’m planning another session tomorrow. Looks a bit sunnier and therefore probably harder and busier so I doubt it’ll be a third 50 plus roach catch but you never know!

And yeah last years river season was only really about 4 months long due to the multiple floods although I fished through the season before until the last month or sos floods.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not counting the weir I fish.

2 days at Knowle Sands for Barbel, 1 fish hooked and lost.
1 day yesterday at Stourport for probably 9 Roach, 15 Perch, 1 Bleak, and a bigger fish probably a big Perch lost to a snag.

Wanted to go Barbel-ing tomorrow but working, need to get out a lot more over the next month...

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I'm supposed to go barbelling this afternoon / evening but don't know if i can be bothered getting all my stuff ready knowing all the best pegs likely be taken and i'll probably blank.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah on all but the most rural or difficult to get to stretches river fishing is all about getting there fairly early to get a decent swim. You got to be there before 8 around here to have a reasonable chance of getting a good one.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That was the good thing about Stourport. Only walked past one other angler before I got the most comfortable looking swim and got there just after 3pm. Only thing was the expense. 1 tub of ready cooked hemp for convenience, 2 pints of casters and 2 pints of maggots came to 20 odd quid and then £6 for parking with a bit of a walk. I still think I'll be doing it quite regularly maybe with cooking my own hemp. The Barbel stretches you have to get there early.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah afternoon sessions are a no no for getting a good swim here lol. You’ve got to be one of the first couple there in the morning to get a good one.

I’ve been saving so much money fishing hemp this season. When I’m organised I do my own so literally just a couple quids worth for a session then when I’m not organised I use a 350g tin of frenzied hemp which does me for a session which is about £2.50. Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not but my best two days have been on the frenzied hemp rather than home cooked ?. Then a couple pints of maggots and a bag of ground bait are lasting me a couple weeks at least at the moment as mostly just using hemp.

Last edited:

alsur

Site Supporter
What's the boat traffic on Thames been like, is it lower than normal.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
First couple weeks on clifton I'd say it was lighter than normal given how nice the weather was. Last couple weeks at sandford I've been on the old channel which doesnt have boats but the water misbehaves when the lock is used on the lock channel and that hasnt been happening more than about once an hour. That might be primarily due to it having been primarily drab fishing weather rather than sunny boating weather for the last couple weeks more than anything else.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
So we are a month into the river season now so I thought it would be interesting to see how people have got on so far? Always interesting to see how different rivers are fishing. Also what are people’s plans going forward?

I’ve done reports on most my sessions but below is a rough summary (can’t remember exact numbers of bleak for example!) of my proper sessions of reasonable length so far. Basically June was mostly tough and July mostly good!

16/6: about 6.5 hour session for about 25 dace, about 15 chublets, 5 roach, 1 skimmer, about 75 bleak
20/6: about 3.5 hour session for 8 chublet, 2 dace, 2 roach and about 25 bleak
22/6: about 6 hour session for 15 roach, 7 dace, 4 chublet, about 50 bleak.
26/6: about 6 hour session for 6 dace, 6 chublet, about 40 bleak
30/6: about 4 hour session for 15 roach, 1 chublet, 1 silver bream, about 20 bleak
1/7: about 4 hour session for 18 roach, 1 dace, 1 chublet, about 15 bleak
3/7: about 6 hour session for 26 roach, 2 dace, 1 chublet, about 11 bleak
6/7: about 6.5 hour session for 56 roach, 9 dace, 1 silver bream, 15 bleak
7/7: about 4 hour session for 10 roach, about 15 bleak
10/7: about 6.5 hour session for 31 roach, 1 dace, 1 silver bream, about 12 bleak.
13/7 about 4 hour session for 8 roach, 2 dace, 2 chublet, about 12 bleak
15/7 about 6.5 hour session for 58 roach, 6 silver bream, 5 dace, 4 chublet, 17 bleak

Plan for the rest of this month is to mostly keep chasing the roach but after that depends on when I eventually get back to work tbh!
All off the same peg

jpwebster

Since 16th of June I've had 7 sessions on the local, River Hull. Really didn't expect to see any barbel coming out till later in the year but have been pleasantly surprised to be catching them from the off. 2 Blanks, 10 barbel landed ranging from 12oz to approx 8lb, 2 lost including one Big Bertha( that causes me sleepless nights :cry::LOL:)
Also had some nice roach and perch on bolo, a fat possible silver bream on bomb and finally used the 16ft #2 cadence float rod on the barbel, albeit as a light bomb/link leger.
Two trips the Wharfe on not the best days produced a few nice barbel and chub for my Dad, I had to settle for the one Chub, though was a nice new pb of 4lb+.

20200713_221104.jpg 20200622_174259.jpg 20200713_151155.jpg
Silver or Common Bream?
20200713_175243.jpg 20200713_221137.jpg

solwood

Site Supporter
Mostly fished the river Wey Salgasson

16th had to switch swims, but had a mixed bag of 24 fish maggot and stick

3 july trotting maggot and waggler nice bag

7 July wey at pigeon house two minnows

9 july whip and maggots nice mixed bag and lost a big koi

13th Maggots and waggler
65 roach dace rudd and perch in 2 hours