River Pole Rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Hi all,

I'm planning on going to my local river next Sat (River Avon, Chippenham). I was going to try out my pole on the river, could anyone give me any idea how to set my rigs up and what kind of floats to use.

Also, if anyone fancies joining me your more than welcome.

Waggy8

sensas abbeville float 0.5g-2.5g tied to 0.10-0.12 mainline to a 0.10-0.08 hooklength to hook sizes 18-22. use an olivette 3ft from the hook and space 2-3 dropper shots underneath. i'd use this for a slower flow of river. just step up your line and float size if the flow is faster.

sensas abbeville float 0.5g - 1.25g tied to 0.10-0.12 mainline to a 0.10 - 0.08 hooklength hook sizes 18-20. this time use a strung out pattern of no 8's, 9's, 10's with two droppers. i'd use this for on the drop.

tie doubles of all your rigs as you never know what can happen and it also gives you a chance to adjust the rigs in order to see bites better. also tie them to top fours if you can and trim them down to suit the depth.

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Cheers waggy, i'll give them a go. It'll only be the second time I've fished a river, so if it all goes wrong i'm going to revert to a feeder with my polaris float.

Waggy8

your welcome. never actually used that tatic. have you had much success on it? set-up a stick or waggler if you can give your self a couple of options if the pole attack fails!

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
That was my thinking exactly. I've not actually used the Polaris float yet, I'm hoping to give it a go with an in-line method feeder with a banded pellet and softened swim stim pellets and ground bait packed around the feeder. Hopefully get some action, I'm trying to sort of teach myself how to use everything so I tend to get it wrong a fair bit :)

Waggy8

well everything takes practice! the more prep you put into it the better your results will be so to speak! although that never actually works. i would join you, but unfortunatly im working!

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Sadly work does take priority. Just on google earth trying to find a decent stretch.

Ricky24

Rich
I am totally astonished no one has said the Cralusso Sharks, Torpedo or Bubble yet. These floats are quality and rarely use anything else on a river if I am honest because they do everything.

Waggy8

i do use the cralusso torpedo when i want to hold my bait static, and i do agree they are quality floats. recommend a set up for him then buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.