River pole fishing?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Would like a few tips on river fishing with a pole please guys. I fancy having a try for some roach laying on, and then a go for some river carp, laying on a again. Just wondered how you would go about it and what elastics and such you would use please? I'm thinking its maybe the gear I use currently for my carp fishing, but thought I'd ask anyway? I will be trotting when the rivers right for it clearly. Thanks.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Difficult without knowing the river what to tell you. Generally you need to fish a longer rig. I often fish a top four or five, sometimes more. This time of year you can run a bait at the fish rather than holding back. Just occasionally stop the bait to attract some interest. Balling it can work summer or winter. Depending on numbers of fish it’s often better to ball it on a coloured river in winter than a clear river in summer. On a clear river we are right in seed season. Fish on the drop to start,changing to a bulk if the fish start hanging themselves. Feed hemp every chuck,only a pinch but keep feeding constantly.
My river has many Carp but in 30years fishing it I’ve only ever hooked one. A small common on the feeder. I’ve no idea how many Carp are in your river but I doubt they are worth targeting. Otherwise I’d guess a normal bed of pellets and fish pellet over the top as good as anything.
I fish 5-8 solid elastics. 0.10-0.15 hooklengths, 0.5-3g floats.Hooksize can be anything from a 20 b511 to a 13 b711.

Last edited:

Rick123

Site Supporter
Difficult without knowing the river what to tell you. Generally you need to fish a longer rig. I often fish a top four or five, sometimes more. This time of year you can run a bait at the fish rather than holding back. Just occasionally stop the bait to attract some interest. Balling it can work summer or winter. Depending on numbers of fish it’s often better to ball it on a coloured river in winter than a clear river in summer. On a clear river we are right in seed season. Fish on the drop to start,changing to a bulk if the fish start hanging themselves. Feed hemp every chuck,only a pinch but keep feeding constantly.
My river has many Carp but in 30years fishing it I’ve only ever hooked one. A small common on the feeder. I’ve no idea how many Carp are in your river but I doubt they are worth targeting. Otherwise I’d guess a normal bed of pellets and fish pellet over the top as good as anything.
I fish 5-8 solid elastics. 0.10-0.15 hooklengths, 0.5-3g floats.Hooksize can be anything from a 20 b511 to a 13 b711.

River Trent spiffy buddy. I did a stint for the river carp in 2018 and just had a handful, but not many trips to be honest. Its more the better roach I'd be looking for laying on to be honest. Rich.