River or Canal? Would you wouldn’t you?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So there’s a stretch of water near me where the Oxford canal and river cherwell become one and apparently it’s been confirmed as fishable in the closed season as per the below.
1620578839549.png
Now to me as the river was there first it’s therefore a river and should be covered by the closed season but seems the EA and C&RT think not. Looks a lovely bit of water from a couple walks I’ve had down there since the announcement with a fair bit of visible fish life. I’ll almost definitely have a rove on it come the 16th but not sure if I’d feel comfortable fishing it now or not so be interested to hear what others think?

Silver fan 82

If the EA say its OK then it would be good enough for me mate. Depends on your own conciouss though I guess?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If the EA say its OK then it would be good enough for me mate. Depends on your own conciouss though I guess?
Yeah I'm trying to get it in writing from the horses mouth as I'm fine with it from own conscious just a bit wary of running into someone official or otherwise that understably thought it a river as cba with the potential grief for the sake of a month.

Silver fan 82

Yeah I'm trying to get it in writing from the horses mouth as I'm fine with it from own conscious just a bit wary of running into someone official or otherwise that understably thought it a river as cba with the potential grief for the sake of a month.
Probably a good idea mate 👍

Arch

Site Supporter
There's a section of the Loughborough canal that is below the last lock onto the river Soar that is fished in the close season. There's a towpath, but straight onto the river.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There's a section of the Loughborough canal that is below the last lock onto the river Soar that is fished in the close season. There's a towpath, but straight onto the river.
That’s interesting was thinking it couldn’t be unique. I know there are other places where rivers and canals join up but my understanding was most are subject to the closed season so interesting to hear that more than one are not.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think that's the last time I saw a ruffe, was from there 5 or 6 years ago

Robwooly

Most river navigations are subject to the close season, most canals aren't. But it's never that simple all the time I'd get confirmation form the controlling club if I were you

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most river navigations are subject to the close season, most canals aren't. But it's never that simple all the time I'd get confirmation form the controlling club if I were you
Been a weird one. One of my clubs asked the EA and the C&RT who both said it was ok then they asked one of my other clubs who actually control it and they also said it was ok. Just I haven’t seen it in writing from any of them myself just from the one thread on one of my clubs FB page. Just seems strange as it simply is a river by logic but seems it’s treated as canal.

I think that's the last time I saw a ruffe, was from there 5 or 6 years ago
Had my first couple Ruffe in about 5-6 years from the canal over the Easter weekend as it happens!

Ivan heaphurst

Met a bloke this time last year fishing the river Weaver, saying it is a canal and could be fished. It is a river navigation and is subject to a close season but there was no convincing this fella otherwise.

IanG1

Site Supporter
The Trent & Mersey after the last lock into the Trent is fishable right up to the main confluence, seen a few fishing it (and chucking into the flow in the last peg) but all perfectly fine with the controlling club (POD)

Robwooly

Been a weird one. One of my clubs asked the EA and the C&RT who both said it was ok then they asked one of my other clubs who actually control it and they also said it was ok. Just I haven’t seen it in writing from any of them myself just from the one thread on one of my clubs FB page. Just seems strange as it simply is a river by logic but seems it’s treated as canal.
If the CRT say it's ok then it's ok, sounds to me like it's just the river running into a short stretch of the canal, we have running pounds down here with the Gade and Bulbourne running through hence all the chub, I feel it's fine to fish these cuts knowing full well those fish travel up the rivers to breed left well alone and also that they are part of the canal of course and not the other way round.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter

Had my first couple Ruffe in about 5-6 years from the canal over the Easter weekend as it happens!
Phone Ace Tackle at Kidlington.
Tony issues most angling club cards in the area, He should be able to put you right.
If it was me I would just go and fish it and if anyone official says anything ,show them the statement what you put in your first post.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If the CRT say it's ok then it's ok, sounds to me like it's just the river running into a short stretch of the canal, we have running pounds down here with the Gade and Bulbourne running through hence all the chub, I feel it's fine to fish these cuts knowing full well those fish travel up the rivers to breed left well alone and also that they are part of the canal of course and not the other way round.
It certainly is tempting. I've enjoyed the stillwaters over the last few months but longing for the rivers now and this would give me an early opportunity at what is essentially a river as it looks like a river and flows like a river.

Phone Ace Tackle at Kidlington.
Tony issues most angling club cards in the area, He should be able to put you right.
He's in the chat following the FB post I pasted in the OP. I'm sure it's all above board just a bit wary of going down there without it in writing from the EA or CR&T in case I run into the wrong person. Am very tempted indeed though as it looks much nicer than the canal itself being wider and clearer with more natural looking meandering banks. Pretty sure most the tops I've seen are bleak but there's been some much bigger tops and rolls as well which must be roach, dace, chub etc.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
It certainly is tempting. I've enjoyed the stillwaters over the last few months but longing for the rivers now and this would give me an opportunity at what is essentially a river as it looks like a river and flows like a river.

He's in the chat following the FB post I pasted in the OP. I'm sure it's all above board just a bit wary of going down there without it in writing from the EA or CR&T in case I run into the wrong person. Am very tempted indeed though as it looks much nicer than the canal itself being wider and clearer with more natural looking meandering banks. Pretty sure most the tops I've seen are bleak but there's been some much bigger tops and rolls as well which must be roach, dace, chub etc.
How far is it from me ?
I am looking for new venues, may go for a recce to see what Lens lake at Milton Pools is like with a view to having a day on there Friday.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
How far is it from me ?
I am looking for new venues, may go for a recce to see what Lens lake at Milton Pools is like with a view to having a day on there Friday.
Easiest access is from by the old rock of Gibraltar although it's still a fairly long walk. Well not that long actually just slow as its awkward along the towpath as you have to keep stopping to let people pass.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Easiest access is from by the old rock of Gibraltar although it's still a fairly long walk. Well not that long actually just slow as its awkward along the towpath as you have to keep stopping to let people pass.
Daft question, me not being local.
I get on the canal at pub, do I walk past the marina part a couple of hundred yards from where I got on canal bank ,or walk in opposite direction ,?