River Nene

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Clear skies, clear water and 19 degree heat by 9am, lead to a clear decision as to where to fish today for a few hours. Of course I was hoping to use some time I currently have available to get up to the Trent or the Severn; with hemp prepped and the grab and go ready as ever pellet mix, it was tempting, however I couldn't help feeling that I would just be feeding the swim for the Barbel to just watch it going in, then tuck in for a night time feast and although I favour the float on the Severn in summer I didn't fancy a grueler either under this sun.

So needing desperately to get on a river after a recent carp commercial break, I opted for my favourite peg on the Nene at Ashton footbridge, with a couple of pints of mixed and the waggler rod, hoping to get that riverside breeze drifting over me.

On arrival I observed the light breeze pushing upstream, this was going to aid my presentation on the waggler. Kit set, a few lilly pads scooped out to give me a chance with my target of chub, who love to find the near bank snags, I then set about my rod. The clear water conditions confirmed my choice of float fishing and also that a gentle start would be needed. To tackle the far bank run under the willow trees I opted for a 2 1/2aaa crystal insert waggler, main bulk of weight around the float, with plenty of no'6 shot built in to give me options for down the line. I find that shotting and depth are the key for this style of fishing and changes are usually needed during a session in order to keep presenting where the fish are or may move to in terms of depths, with the ever present bleak and avoiding them being another factor in my choice of a slightly heavier float than needed.

Suspecting as usual it would take several run throughs and adjustments to find some action, I fed then cast, this turned out to be the routine needed on the day, following a feed mid and end of run too initially to try and attract any greedy chub. As with the float choice to not only give me casting weight needed but also weight to get the bait down, feeding is heavier than needed in order to pre-occupy the bleak. The float dipped on the first run through and this chub was a great start.

Although some canoeist and boat activity dulled the sport briefly at times during the session, introducing some feed in addition to the routine feeding soon brought the fish back, with dace and some bleak muscling in amongst the chub too.

These three chub were the pick of the bunch and at around 12oz a piece were great sport on the light float tackle.

With the peg being a cattle drink peg, I perhaps should have considered that the cattle would want to drink on such a warm day, after heading down the field grazing away, they had now turned and were heading towards me, I carried on fishing.......

You know when you get that instinctive feeling that eyes are staring at your back, minutes later this was several pairs of eyes, followed by the clump of hooves as my presence wasn't going to put off the cattle from their midday drink, down they came, with the rest of the herd stood up on the bank watching, lifting the rod bag up that contained my just in case feeder rod, I stayed with my kit and turned to face the herd, a wave of the landing net not cutting any ice or staring them out either. After a 10 minute stand off a lady walker approached and kept up the power walking pace through the herd and they scarpered! Well and truly humbled I carried on fishing.

Was a good choice to get out there today and with a good few other chub caught, along with a single rudd, a few dace and the bleak of course, I ended the session with a rewarding catch.

Last edited:

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
Great stuff my kind of fishing, I have worked with cows at various point in my life and am very cautious around them as I've seen how unpredictable they can be and sometimes puts me off fishing in those areas if I can help it. But well done nice net of fish for the brave angler.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Almost makes me want to root around in the garage and get my old river gear out.
Strangely enough, Neil....I was only wondering the other day where your username came from as I very rarely see the Nene mentioned in any of your posts! :)
Is the Nene where you cut your fishing teeth or something?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Strangely enough, Neil....I was only wondering the other day where your username came from as I very rarely see the Nene mentioned in any of your posts! :)
Is the Nene where you cut your fishing teeth or something?

No, if I roll out of my drive I can coast down to the river. Born & brought up in London with the Lee as my local river and first place I coarse fished. Teeth were cut on a small trout stream in Scotland. The name was purely an alliteration that I liked. Same metre as Stig of the Dump.

And the first thing you learn here is that the river is pronounced Nen.

BTMS

Site Supporter
No, if I roll out of my drive I can coast down to the river. Born & brought up in London with the Lee as my local river and first place I coarse fished. Teeth were cut on a small trout stream in Scotland. The name was purely an alliteration that I liked. Same metre as Stig of the Dump.

And the first thing you learn here is that the river is pronounced Nen.
Same here Neil cut my teeth on the Verter a tributary of the Whiteadder which ran into the Tweed. Brownies up to 2lb on fly and worm you certainly ;learn river craft. Fished with my old mans Hardys Hunter special 2 tops one fly one worm. Best splt cane I had.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
2lb would have been a monster on the stream I fished. I doubt many I caught reached 8oz.