River Nene current conditions

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Supposed to be fishing the nene for the first time tomorrow at yarwell but after the last weeks rain I’m a bit concerned what state it’ll be in. Any updates on its condition from anyone living by the nene, especially say between oundle and Peterborough, would be really helpful?

Trying to establish what sort of gear to take as in a campervan so space is a bit limited. My local Thames is still in decent nick but not knowing the nene I really don’t know what the last weeks rain will have done to it.

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Just had a look where the A6 crosses. Over the banks in places. Coloured and fast as you would expect.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks Neil I thought it would be but at least it’s not at the bank bursting stage. Looking drier over the next 12 hours then also for the next couple days so hopefully it’ll drop a bit before I get there and stay fishable. Was looking like a write off on Monday.

Dazza80

Should be fining down now, however will be carrying a lot of water, friend fished Elton Tuesday and the river was over the bank in places. If the river is still to strong a flow try ledgering big smelly baits in slack areas, sometimes literally under the rod tip, maybe challenging but every chance of barbel, chub and bream in these conditions, think you will struggle float fishing maybe wrong just depends on conditions so tackle wise prob best to cover a few options cheers

Dazza80

Also just to add if your using more than a 2 oz lead to hold bottom your fishing in the wrong place as the barbel, chub etc will sought out slack areas when the nene is in flood, there will be loads of rubbish coming down to meaning fishing mid river, far bank will be near on impossible hence another reason to the fish the slacks.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t have gear that’ll cast more than 3 oz so I’ll definitely be fishing the slacker stuff haha. Think I’ll take an Avon quiver and a float rod. I have the back up of a lake onsite as well but it doesn’t sound very inspiring so if the river looks ok that’ll definitely be my first port of call.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just got here and it’s belting through, think it’ll be the lake here today then find another Stillwater fishery for on the way home tomorrow. Will have a bit of a wander but looks like it would be full barbel gear or bust so in my case that’s bust!

Freesolo82

Had a walk round yesterday and it was pumping through @ Oundle on the main river there where still a few fishable spots on the main river in the slack the backwaters and cuts looked ok. Have been checking on the Riverapp and @ Lilford its still rising but closer to Peterborough its falling I think there is still a bit to run off. might take today and be right on Friday as long as we don't get more rain (fingers crossed)

Freesolo82

Just got here and it’s belting through, think it’ll be the lake here today then find another Stillwater fishery for on the way home tomorrow. Will have a bit of a wander but looks like it would be full barbel gear or bust so in my case that’s bust!

Biggin lake is near Oundle and has a good head of silvers and some big carp, not fished in this year so no details on day tickets maybe someone else can help

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well the lake had no accessible swims then it started raining again and the river was very close to going over right next to the campervan so rather than risk it we went home as the van had already sunk into the mud.

I’m going to try fish somewhere locally tomorrow seeing as I’ve got it booked off work anyway. Looks like it should be dry for 4 or 5 hours through the middle of the day so worth a go somewhere. I’m in the fishing mindset now so don’t think I could face work tomorrow anyway now haha

Dazza80

Hard luck mate never known so much rain in october, hope the fishing back home goes better, I’ve got the day off work today to fish alwalton however suspect the river to be in the same state as yarwell, it’s bliming raining here!!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been terrible hasn’t it. I haven’t fished since mid September mainly because of the weather (rugby World Cup has been a slight contributor) and that’s the longest break I’ve had in a good couple years.