River Nene afternoon

Freesolo82

I had a few hours free this afternoon and decided to fish the Nene @ Oundle, the river looked great holding colour and dropping, the wind was downstream and gusting but I made the most of it.

I set pole @ 9meters with a 3gram rig and a 2gram rig no messing about today, balled in a heavy mix of 50/50 Pro natural, gros gardens mixed with 1 bag of TDR, 5 baby heads and cupped in 2 rich balls filled with Caster and dead pinkies.

Caught well for 90 mins and was some of the best quality roach I've had this year on that stretch up to a pound, double/triple fluro pinkie was best by far with Caster which has been best on there recently often going through without a bite I'm assuming the colour had reduced viability for the fish. I topped up with a ball every 30 mins and it brought a few more fish but not the impact I was looking for so with a hour to go I balled it again the same as the start, this would kill it on this stretch 9 times out of 10 but with the colour I felt I could get away with it and after a bite less 10 mins I caught really well again till the end.

I estimate I caught 15lb and only wish I got a better picture as some of fish were pristine.
IMG_1369.JPG

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Nice going Freesolo82.

As per our conversation on the thread the other day - did you loosefeed anything over the top, eg. Hemp? I always struggle to keep my hands off the catapult myself.
What was the depth like - about 10ft?

Freesolo82

Nice going Freesolo82.

As per our conversation on the thread the other day - did you loosefeed anything over the top, eg. Hemp? I always struggle to keep my hands off the catapult myself.
What was the depth like - about 10ft?

I didn't loose feed anything today mate, only topping up with groundbait. Dept Was 12ft and dropped a foot while I fished.

I think a small ball behind the float might of worked today, not something I have ever tried on the Nene? Maybe next time

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Brilliant stuff ??

Must have had a lot less rain than we've had as the rivers hereare still rising and will be flooded within days ?

Freesolo82

Brilliant stuff ??

Must have had a lot less rain than we've had as the rivers hereare still rising and will be flooded within days ?

It has been very unsettled hasn't it mate, I was going to go yesterday but it rained so today was a window of opportunity. more rain again tomorrow though so back to checking the weather every few hours

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It has been very unsettled hasn't it mate, I was going to go yesterday but it rained so today was a window of opportunity. more rain again tomorrow though so back to checking the weather every few hours
Hope you manage to get out again soon, always buzzing for the next session after a session like that!

Will be about another 9-10 days before I fish again I reckon as looks like we've got another 4-5 dates of rain yet so will take another 4-5 days of dry weather after the rain stops for it to drop to a level that I can tackle.

rd350lc

Lovely net , did you get any bleak problems ?
Rain all day today will probably mess it up again ?

Freesolo82

Lovely net , did you get any bleak problems ?
Rain all day today will probably mess it up again ?

No bleak problems yesterday, they can be bad in the summer but with it being cooler I think they all move to a few areas which I try to avoid, pike are they biggest problem if I'm being honest and on a clear river this time of year you better have plenty of hooklengths but with the colour being nice yesterday only had a few but you know they are in the peg when it goes funny

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
Nice.

I’ve just this week joined The Nene Anglers and was looking at the backwater coming down from Warmington Mill yesterday.

I was thinking of giving it a go next week when the water starts to drop and clear a bit. There appear to be a few good runs for a stick float just above where it joins back onto the river downstream of the lock.

I’m a bit of a newby to this, coming off the back of 40 years of fly fishing, so if anyone has got any tips regarding bait and areas they would be gratefully received. :)

rd350lc

No bleak problems yesterday, they can be bad in the summer but with it being cooler I think they all move to a few areas which I try to avoid, pike are they biggest problem if I'm being honest and on a clear river this time of year you better have plenty of hooklengths but with the colour being nice yesterday only had a few but you know they are in the peg when it goes funny
Fished a small match on the marina length last Sunday and bleak were a nightmare , even ragging big dendras !
Found a few roach on the seed but they soon disappeared when it started colouring up after a couple of hours .
Just as you mentioned with the casters they need to "see" the bait .

Freesolo82

Fished a small match on the marina length last Sunday and bleak were a nightmare , even ragging big dendras !
Found a few roach on the seed but they soon disappeared when it started colouring up after a couple of hours .
Just as you mentioned with the casters they need to "see" the bait .

I know the stretch you mean it's a bit like a canal, I think it fishes well with a bit of colour for skimmers, it's a bit of a sanctuary. Bleak can be a real problem on the Nene as you say and sometimes I will even fish for them with 150 a hour i being over 10lb with the right stamp, but it's not the most enjoyable day that's for sure

Freesolo82

Nice.

I’ve just this week joined The Nene Anglers and was looking at the backwater coming down from Warmington Mill yesterday.

I was thinking of giving it a go next week when the water starts to drop and clear a bit. There appear to be a few good runs for a stick float just above where it joins back onto the river downstream of the lock.

I’m a bit of a newby to this, coming off the back of 40 years of fly fishing, so if anyone has got any tips regarding bait and areas they would be gratefully received. :)

Can't help you with areas @ Warmington mate not fished there in a few years but the Nene fishes similar throughout from my experience and maggot (red, bronze) pinkies (fluro) and caster will catch you fish. hemp can work well too but is not for everyone and can make them harder to catch if your not tuned into the river in my opinion,

rd350lc

Nice.

I would say feeding is very important and keep some going in , little and often , feed every cast this time of year .