River Monnow

nejohn

Site Supporter
With the prospect of a post Christmas lockdown to look forward to and having a few hours to spare yesterday afternoon I thought I would take my chance to grab a few hours on the river bank. Given the amount of rain we have had over the last few days I figured that the Wye would be well up and going through like an express train , in these conditions the fish can often move out of the main river and into the feeder rivers so with this in mind I headed for the Monnow just upstream of Monmouth. After a wet walk over a couple of fields I found the Monnow also to be pretty swollen but the chosen stretch does have a few areas of slack water in these conditions so my plan was to concentrate on these. With this in mind I set up a stick float rod to fish the crease on these slack areas and a lead rod with a small maggot feeder attached. To cut a long story short I worked pretty hard for 3 hours on 3 areas of slack water and had not had so much as nibble never mind a bite. By this time it was starting to get a lot darker and the sky looked heavy with rain so I made my way back to the car with the intention of giving the 1st area I fished nearest the car a few casts in the last half hour or so. First run through with the float saw it bury shortly after hitting the water this definitely caught me by surprise and I consequently missed the bite, striking about 30 seconds to late..! Two more white maggots on the hook and quickly recast, this time I would be ready..........nothing happened, the same the next cast and the next cast, by now I had resigned myself to blanking and was making my last cast, half way down the run the float seemed to slow slightly then dip a little and a little more and finally it disappeared , the Nanolith swept up to be meet with a resistance there was defiantly something live on the other end but it didn't feel like a big fish after a short fight a fin perfect brightly spotted brown trout of about 1lb lay in my landing net....not what I was hoping for but it saved me from a blank. I released the fish and collected my kit together and headed back to the car fairly happy, I had been out on the river bank in stunning surroundings and in the end caught a fish.....It was with a bit of a heavy heart that I headed back to the car as it is a very realistic possibility that it might have been my last session on running water until June given that we are going into lockdown for an as yet undisclosed period of time and if recent weather conditions are anything to go by then the end of Febuary up until the end of the season are highly likely to be washed out.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I've fished the Monnow an odd time at Osbaston but mainly the stretch just above where it runs into the Wye. Plenty of chub if I recall and an odd decent net of dace. Parts of Osbaston were very Mr Crabtree and I recall seeing a few monster perch in a deep, clear pool on a riverside walk one day.

I was once wading down the edge on a very cold winter's day when I came across a decent carp laying dormant in some reeds. I scooped it up with my hands, but didn't count it in the day's catch of course.

nejohn

Site Supporter
It was just upstream of Osbaston where I fished yesterday and you are right about the Mr Crabtree thing, I have had some nice chub and good nets of dace from that stretch with the odd grayling and smallish barbel thrown in for interest, only seen small perch though nothing over about 8 ounces

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
It was back in the mid / late eighties, I used to live with a girl who came from Monmouth. I took my gear whenever we stayed at her parent's house in Osbaston.

jakeyowen

Site Supporter
It was back in the mid / late eighties, I used to live with a girl who came from Monmouth. I took my gear whenever we stayed at her parent's house in Osbaston.
We used to fish the monnow just up stream of Skenfrith Castle, the dace and chub fishing could be fantastic, however the weir burst and the river went from a lovely slow 10ft+ deep stretch to 3ft ruining the fishing. Not been back in 20 years

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I remember fishing the Monnow with my dad - think it was the Vauxhall Fields stretch in Monmouth itself - and we had some cracking chub and roach out but that was 30 yrs ago.

peterb

Site Supporter
I used to fish the Monnow years ago , Skenfrith was a lovely stretch but as you say jakyowen once the weir went it was ruined . I also used to fish the Monmouth Anglers stretch which was good , nice for a session on the stick float , keep saying I'll rejoin the club and give it another go .