River medway, Tonbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby

16 June and its got to be the river. Bit weird really as IMHO they fish better in autumn and winter, but hey, rather like eating turkey on 25 December, on the morning 16 June old gits like me have to trot a float down a stretch of running water

Well the Medway at Tonbridge wasnt exactly running, more like geriatric crawling, with barely enough current to pull line off my Abu 706 and the dry spell over the few weeks in Kent didnt help much either. Nonetheless I gave it my best shot and once I had got past the bleak, my swim began to pick up. Alternating between maggot, bread and corn on the hook and in just over four hours, I must have had about 25 fish. Noothing over half a pound, but a real mixed bag of roach, perch, skimmers, gudgeon, ruffe and one chub

In terms of rod benders I would probably have been better off fishing for tench on a club lake (which prior to the abolition of the old close season on still waters I would have done) but hey after the enforced river lay-off you cant beat sitting on the bank and watching you float go under.

Matt Love

The slapper
Gibby if you want some water that flows more then get yourself down to Yalding / Laddingford and fish the Beult or Teise [;)]

kennyx

Memories of the Medway

As I kid I used to be taken to the stretch in Tonbridge by Cannons Bridge.

I remember catching loads of Bleak, Gudgeon and Perch.

This was around the early 70's.

tench_man

I used to fish the Medway at Teston (outside Maidstone) about 10 years ago and it was free fishing then but I don't know about now. Does anybody know of this stretch and whether its free or day ticket and how its fishing these days?

Dagobert II

The medway is free from East Farleigh http://www.dofreefishing.com/southernkent.html fished it last year and caught mainly skimmers one guy near me had a 4lb bream. I fished near the lock so there were lots of boats

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
Originally posted by tench_man

I used to fish the Medway at Teston (outside Maidstone) about 10 years ago and it was free fishing then but I don't know about now. Does anybody know of this stretch and whether its free or day ticket and how its fishing these days?

The section above Teston bridge is now run by the council on a day ticket, you have to pay to park too, not sure how much it is though. 100+ nets of bream have been comming out of the section.

Below the bridge is Maidstone Victory members only.

Fishing is free from East Farleigh all the way down to the sea, Monkton Lane in Maidstone is a good section to fish this time of the year and parking is free[:T]

Also fishing is free at Yalding around the bridge and the section at East Peckham above the bridge.

Last edited:

piggy40

this post has sent me down memory lane, i used to live in farleigh lane as a boy and fished the maidstone side of east farleigh lock in the weir pool for eels and further down for roach and skimmers nice to hear it's still free.
gibby can i ask you have you ever fished the other side of the weir up river from tonbridge, i camped there one summer and caught a 2lb 10oz roach which is still my pb to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.