River Medway - Ringlestone

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Had a couple of half hour mini lunchtime sessions this week mostly to plumb various swims but today was a proper go.

Hit the bank at 5:30am, mild and drizzly, and set up my 5m elasticated whip with a 1.5gm pear shaped wire stem float fishing to hand plus my Daiwa X 13’ float rod & TFG centrepin with an insert waggler. Both set to fish just off the bottom in 11’ of quite clear water.

Groundbait was a mix of 1/4 kilos of Sensas River, Sensas Gordons, Sensas 3000 Noire plus a handful of hemp and casters, enough for about 8 tennis ball sized offerings. Hook bait choices were casters, sweet corn & tares.

Almost zero flow, pitched in 4 balls just past the end of my whip and started on caster, first bite was almost immediate with a dinky little bleak. Got into a routine of feeding a pinch of hemp, cast over and hit the bite for another bleak. Minor adjustmemt to the shooting pattern got me through the bleak and into the roach.

For the next 90 mins it was a fish a cast with better roach coming from casting to the fringes of my feed area using both the whip and rod a few small dace joined in too.

Then they must have opened the lock because there was a dramatic increase in flow for about 20 minutes and the fish disappeared but I found a few perch tucked up tight to an overhanging bush.

When the flow stopped again I put the other 4 balls in with a bit of loose over the top and was into bleak & roach again within 5 mins.

At one point something bitey took a bleak off the whip as I brought it in. The bleak was about 2’ under the surface where I could see it flashing then ‘bang’ there was a blur, my elastic stretched A LOT and I just had time to sink the whip tip before the 2lb hooklength gave up & the rig came whanging back.

Things I learned:

River fishing is great fun
Insert crystal waggler was the wrong choice of float for running line, couldn’t get through the bleak - maybe stick float next time with bulk down the line?
Centrepin is even more fun on running water than on stillwater
Need to investigate what to do when the flow kicks in to stay with the fish
Possibly use a differently shaped pole float to better cope with the flow when trying to hold back as the pear shaped one was dragging under
Bumped lots of sweetcorn bites, not sure about that one as I don’t normally on stillwater with carp & tench - hook pattern /size perhaps?
Best of the roach came to tares late in the session

Will try to get back on tomorrow afternoon or Monday morning for another go & take my boy too - can pick up maggots tomorrow and leave corn at home I think.

Karl

Attachments

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like a nice session mate. Seems you’re doing pretty well for your early days on the river, glad to hear you are enjoying it. Nothing beats river fishing for me 👍🏻

And yeah on crystal inserts I generally only use them when mostly fishing fairly bleak proof baits like hemp or on rivers or at least stretches without many or any bleak. Otherwise a float that takes more shot is better, can still be an insert but easier with non hollow one. If you caught well on tares late on it might be worth trying them earlier? I‘ve found on the Thames this season that it’s only taken half hour tops to switch them onto hemp after previously giving it a good hour or so. As for hook pattern I mostly use the drennan silverfish range in an 18.

Looking forward to reading your next report 🙂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Enjoyed the write up and I am thinking along similar lines for my own fishing on the Severn that I'd be better on the stick than a waggler to avoid Bleak to a certain extent, luckily on the weir I fish there are no Bleak as of yet, makes life easier when doing something as enjoyable as float fishing a river.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I don’t mind catching the bleak, it’s good fun catching anything, but when you know there’s tidy roach lurking under them then it quickly turns to a battle of wits.

The whip rig had all the weight within the last 2’ of line but still the kamikaze bleak were self hooking almost on the splash - most likely what brought Mr Pikester to dinner.

I have a few stick floats of various weights so I can give them a go next time.

Karl

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t mind catching the bleak, it’s good fun catching anything, but when you know there’s tidy roach lurking under them then it quickly turns to a battle of wits.
Thats the problem with bleak they can completely stop you using certain baits when there’s enough of them! I don’t mind them in sensible numbers but they can be infuriating in plague proportions. Where there are roach about hemp, tares, elderberries, sometimes pellets are often the way through to them though.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
CC6D41F3-2FE0-48F5-A600-00FBD545D273.jpeg 5E635DE7-837D-49E3-8D96-6AE5607BFC5C.jpeg 273CB356-D0A3-40AD-B92A-7E6421E774CD.jpeg 2
Back on the river for a 2 hour session this morning with my four year old at the same spot I fished last week.

A great time was had by both of us, same tactics employed of 5m whip, hemp & caster over a bit of groundbait although this time we used a few dead white maggots that were mixed in with the casters too.

He probably hit one bite in four but that doesn’t matter as it’s a learning curve for him. He banked 18 fish in about an hours worth of actual fishing, mixed bag of bleak, roach and perch.

A lot of missed bites came as he was waving to all the rowers & joggers and wishing them good morning 😁 - still not ready to hold the fish yet

Total

Site Supporter
Well done to the both of you....His little face says it all! :)......I wish you both much success on your future ventures...(y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
He likes the river much more than Neville Park Lake - there are lots of rowers, joggers, dog walkers to interact with plus a lot more wildlife. Additionally there is no mess or bad language.

He took a few breaks and was “jogging” on the path during some too so great exercise as well as fishing :LOL:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That’s great to see him enjoying it mate, hopefully got him hooked now 🙂
He wanted to go again this afternoon :)

Starts school tomorrow so we can have a session sometime next weekend if he isn’t too worn out - I’m going to get in a few lunchtime half hours on different pegs to see how it fishes