River levels right now

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How are the rivers looking near you?

I'd say there looking pretty good round here. Looking at the levels of the Severn at Bewdley, it has dropped from over 1m to just over 0.5m. I like fishing when it's that level and it should be spot on for today and tomorrow, with some good fishing weather too. I would be there tomorrow, but I reckon the banks will still be muddy, and I want to see how my local weir is doing.

I drove past to check the levels after work today...

View attachment IMG_6960.m4v

It's about average level but with quite a bit of pace on it, running fairly clear... notice the sand bar on the right hand side, opposite bank from where you fish... that has built up quite a bit by the looks of it, this is an ever-changing pool with not only fish moving in and out of it, but trees growing, snags moving, and as you can see... quite a big sand bar now.

That's where I'm going tomorrow anyway. Will be my 5h or 6th time on it this year. First day of the season I had 20 Chub, then the other times only a few small fish, hopefully its replenished itself but that's still 50/50.

Anyone else taking advantage of the 'favourable' conditions?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I just sent my dad to the tackle shop as he's heading past that way and I'm tired after work. :LOL: 3 pints of maggots and a pack of size 14B911x please! It's enough maggots to last me on the feeder all day but if I get plagued with small fish I'll be packing up and throwing most of them away. Free fishing though so can't complain.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Pretty much spot on, steady flow, tinge of colour. Another good session today .

1633791564431.jpeg

Been lucky this year it’s been in good nick most of the time so has fished well most of the time.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Lots of colour, high level and running through at pace as of yesterday lunchtime - if it doesn’t rain then perfect for late tomorrow into the start of the week

squimp

Site Supporter
Where I’m fishing on the Thames the colour had gone by Thursday this week. The flow is right back down too. I won’t go back until after the next flood.

Somebody posted a video of the Thames Festival results - the declining weights over the 3 days were indicative of the short term impact of some fresh water and colour.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would have preferred a bit more colour on my local Stour and maybe a couple more inches but could be anything there. I hope the high water of last week has pushed all the small fish out.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I suspect the dorset stour will be about spot on shame I'm working, will be on it on Monday for sure.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Where I’m fishing on the Thames the colour had gone by Thursday this week. The flow is right back down too. I won’t go back until after the next flood.

Somebody posted a video of the Thames Festival results - the declining weights over the 3 days were indicative of the short term impact of some fresh water and colour.
That was me the posted it. The colour dropping certainly played a part in the dropping weights but I’m sure as much of a contributor was the same stretches getting hammered three days straight as the change in colour and pace was relatively minor.

Was more slightly more colour in the Thames today than in the summer but the flow was pretty much the same. Fished well again though almost as good as in the summer. Different ball game pleasure fishing to be fair you don’t need such perfect conditions when not competing for fish. Provided there’s a bit of colour and flow you’re generally well set for the silvers at least. That said match weights have been pretty good most the summer as well. Just got to pick your battles, no point targeting bream unless it’s well up for example.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was just saying to my dad, I'd prefer no bites tomorrow than small fish bites. That way at least I can leave a rig out. Going to take some worms and meat but even worms aren't micro Chub proof. 1oz Chub are at least as bad as Bleak and it only takes a few of them there to ruin your peg.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
My local is down to about 20cm over the low summer level of a week ago. It should have been better than it was but I just couldn't get through the minnows with any regularity. Only an excessive amount of feeding got me through twice, once for a chunky dace that did a passable grayling impression and later for the inevitable spotty hooligan. A dab of rain killed the minnows stone dead and gave me hope for a while. Unfortunately, I suspect that I'll have killed any chance of a grayling by overfeeding. I got through the worst of the rain still in a t-shirt. However, more than half an hour without any hint of fish persuaded me to return home early.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The welsh Dee was running at 1.021 and coffee coloured at its peak on Tuesday and unfishable to my mind but I spotted a Salmon angler chucking out a lure to no avail. Its now running at 0.633 and like tap water and still no one is catching. I didn't even get a take earlier. There's no pleasing us anglers sometimes. :D

Total

Site Supporter
That was me the posted it. The colour dropping certainly played a part in the dropping weights but I’m sure as much of a contributor was the same stretches getting hammered three days straight as the change in colour and pace was relatively minor.
^^ Bang on...(y)....You'd have thought a 'specimen angler' would have known this...:oops:(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
^^ Bang on...(y)....You'd have thought a 'specimen angler' would have known this...:oops:(y)
👍🏻

I had a look at the sandford stretch on day 3 as was fishing the old channel that day and it wasn’t clear enough to be of concern and going off the old tackle shop gossip it was only slightly more coloured on the other 2 days. Does point towards the 3 days hammering being as big a factor. As does the match on that stretch the following weekend producing lower weights than the preceding weekend at which point it had had even less colour.

Total

Site Supporter
👍🏻

I had a look at the sandford stretch on day 3 as was fishing the old channel that day and it wasn’t clear enough to be of concern and going off the old tackle shop gossip it was only slightly more coloured on the other 2 days. Does point towards the 3 days hammering being as big a factor. As does the match on that stretch the following weekend producing lower weights than the preceding weekend at which point it had had even less colour.
Cracking report and photos earlier...And well done to 'Grandad' for his specimen roach...:)(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cracking report and photos earlier...And well done to 'Grandad' for his specimen roach...:)(y)
Thanks mate 👍🏻

And yeah he was pretty chuffed with that. He thought he had a small chub on then I was like I think that’s a roach! Early birthday present for him in a way as it’s the big 75th on Tuesday.