River Lea session

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Excellent stuff, glad to see lots of small barbel, the future looks bright for the stretch
Yeah there’s a lot there from around 1/2lb to 5-6lb. I watched one fish today maybe 2-3lb trying to push over a rock with his nose about the same size as him. Crazy fish.

DFL

Site Supporter
Is this a club controlled stretch or a day ticket water Daniel?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done Daniel, Thanks for sharing another great report and pictures. :upthumb:

Reuben

Site Supporter
I always enjoy reading these sort of reports. I’m always envious too that there are no rivers like this where I am…Well fished that man.

DFL

Site Supporter
It’s part of Verulam at Leasey Bridge
I wonder if you know Alan Whittington, (was Whitty on FM but had enough left the forum) that’s his home patch and is always catching barbel.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
I wonder if you know Alan Whittington, (was Whitty on FM but had enough left the forum) that’s his home patch and is always catching barbel.
I don’t know him, at least by name. There’s a couple of guys I’ve seen there regularly, we always do the “how’d you get on” chat but I don’t know their names.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
It’s the Advanta one (Angling Direct’s own brand). Yeah it’s a nice bearing pin, good for the money and good for trotting. I always advise to wait until AD have a sale and you can usually get £5-£10 knocked off.

Rapala68

Site Supporter
It’s the Advanta one (Angling Direct’s own brand). Yeah it’s a nice bearing pin, good for the money and good for trotting. I always advise to wait until AD have a sale and you can usually get £5-£10 knocked off.
Found on Aliexpress for £40. Might get one for xmas (y)

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Yeah there’s a few others on Ali that are decent. I got one of these Aerial copies for about £35, nice reel although had a little trouble with the clutch adjuster thing on arrival but easily sorted. Tacklemay was the store on Ali I used.
5C077033-371A-4D49-80EA-E114C0781392.jpeg

Rapala68

Site Supporter
Yeah there’s a few others on Ali that are decent. I got one of these Aerial copies for about £35, nice reel although had a little trouble with the clutch adjuster thing on arrival but easily sorted. Tacklemay was the store on Ali I used.
5C077033-371A-4D49-80EA-E114C0781392.jpeg
The one i was looking at is basically the Advanta without the name on it. I don't want to spend to much as not sure how often i would use it but always wanted to try that style of fishing as i like fishing the stick float when i can.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Yeah sounds good. If you do get one, my advice would be to stick with it and practice, don’t give up too easily. They can be a bit frustrating to use initially, but worth it once you get into the rhythm and technique of using it. If you want more advice head over to the centrepin thread

Last edited:

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Hi folks, back on the Lea for a half day today. The day started very autumnal, cloudy and misty but by the time I was on the train it had burnt off.

I was on the bank by midday. Dunno about Autumn, it was more like summer! Ditched the jacket and spent the day in short sleeves.
51A0692A-6110-4993-9868-2BEAE0B5CBCF.jpeg

Ran a float through and had a couple of chublets. I could see barbel in the swim but they were super spooky around the float. Swapped over to a small bomb and they were more obliging. Not big fish but beautiful in the sunlight.
E81A4B55-F81D-4FB1-B2F5-0E280D1CC693.jpeg

BC948DC1-633B-4CE8-B541-C7A2FF1B4232.jpeg

After a few more fish the bites began to dry up and I was running out of light. Back on with the float for a final long trot with a worm to see if the fish had backed off. The float shot under and off toward the far bank. A few hairy moments later, the last and best fish was on the bank.
3CACF72D-59DB-4777-A176-F2B4B7E851DF.jpeg

And that was it, a thoroughly enjoyable if short day followed by a hurried pack up and stroll back to the station in near darkness.