River fishing in Stockport, advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Hiya folks.
I seem to be spending a lot of time in Stockport these days and fancied fishing some spots in and around Stockport.
Can anyone tell me where's the best 'Free' fishing places to try please.
Cheers.
Dave.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Have I posted my request in the wrong section?

(Ah, sorted to the right section now thanks to Yuccaman.)

Hope I get a reply. :)

Last edited:

nelson66

i dont know much about stockport but i have always done well fishing beneath the weir on the river mersey at northenden. Stick float maggot always gets me a fish every couple of runs through. Ive also seen someone catching decent bream on the tip there too.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
I'll take the dog for a walk down that way at the weekend and have a look, thanks for letting me know. :)

Thebestboxever

If you want some decent (essentially) free fishing, there's a lot to be said for trying the Ashton canal. If you're in Stockport, get up the M60, and turn off at the junction for Ikea (takes about 5mins from stockport) and then get off at lumb lane (http://www.multimap.com/s/ScWnhLr3 - go south, across the A635) - there's some decent sport in the basin. Pole and maggot for silvers (get it right and it's bite a chuck), big waggler or feeder for carp and bream on the other side.

lewis83

Try the River Tame in stockport just near tesco , that is all free and it can be excellent fishing, ive added this bit about pegs from a old topic on the river tame stockport

there are several pegs walking from the car park park, not numbered but in order of walking upstream
peg 1 at the end of the fence near car park walk down the steps cut out trot down inside to catch big chub towards the bridge
peg 2 50 yards down footpath, just beloe a small weir/ run off plenty of chublets dace.
peg 3 80 yards or so, there is a tree with a bit of orange paint on, peg dug out easy to get down, fish tight far bank fir big chub, hard on inside for some reason.
pegs 4 5 6 can see the pegs on the high bank near the old car park you could drive down to , till councill decided to close it due to "dogging activity" good winter pegs and pike to 24lb been caught here, plenty of chub
peg 7 at the small run off weir, set platform up in the river you can see the glide some big roach, grayling etc here
peg 8 gas pipe peg orange post, my fav peg full of big chub and barbel
peg 9 the famous sandy beach pegs, you cant miss it for all the ****e left by numpties, nip throught the gap in the gorse top the peg, to catch fish here DO NOT FISH on the sand, get tucked in to the right were the dead tree is in the water fish over depth hold back this peg will produce 100lb bags of 3-5 lb chub and the odd big barbel
peg 10 above the dead tree area of small barbel in the shallows
peg 11 hard but chub show on the far bank
there are other pegs but not fished them, or above the footbridge over the river, bait for the day 6pt hemp 2pt caster, dont take maggotts you will just get minnowed out dont kill the place by using tons of pellet.
dont fish with out a license the river is the local EA bailiff/managers pet project it is his hard work that as stocked the river.
tryb to take other peoples rubbish home with you its a chore but this free stretch may become another shut venue if we dont look after it.
any one more gen pm me,

i hope this helps

lewis

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
That's fantastic Lewis.
Going to take a walk up there on Friday and give it the once over.
Thanks.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Lewis, your description of that stretch was spot on.
I walked the bank up to the foot bridge and it all looks quite fishy. :)

Had a chat to one chap who was just catching minnows.
The double red maggot bait may not have helped. :)

There was five or six fishing the other bank but I didn't want to shout as they looked like they were fishing a mini match.
All had keepnets in the water so it says something. :)

If I get a chance on Monday I may pop down with some basic kit and give it a bash. :)

One interesting thing, I popped in to a local tackle shop asking where there was any free fishing on Stockport rivers, they said nope it's all club waters. lol
Me thinks they play cards close to their chests. ;)

pritch

glad my original post was usefull,
it is worth getting a stockport fed card for pear mill and otterspool alone.
plus the paintworks pegs are free and thats were the dozy 13 lb barbel lives that everyone catches! opposite pear mill.
give to many secrets away on here.
all you need is lots of hemp and a pint or 2 of caster on the Tame at tiviot dale (oppositetesco) chub to 5lb barbel to 7lb that i have caught on this fine stretch.
does get hammered by niovice anglers and kids and bank walkers. though its great in winter and sept onwards, when the pesky kids are in school.
Be aware though it is the local ea fishery officers pet project this stretch. You will need a license as he checks often and will evict you if you dont have a landing net as per bye laws.

Last edited:

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Credit to you then Pritch. :)

Landing net and current license is standard kit for me. :)

Never, ever fished without one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.