River fishing in Leicestershire

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I'm looking to get some river fishing in the new season, I live in Charnwood Forest and would like some quite close to me if possible.
I don't want to pay silly money for a club ticket, but quite accept the thought of a reasonable cost.
I'm all ready a member of a fantastic club with 11 waters to fish but they are all still waters and I would like some river.
Any help please ? p.s. we don't have a tackle shop close to me so tackle shop questions a bit of a no no.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
You could do worse than join Broome AS - they have a bunch of still waters (Frisby and Kilworth) and one stretch of the River Soar at Narborough. It gets you by default as well though the Leicester Amal card, which is lots of the River Soar between Leicester and Loughborough, for £56 - I don't know if that falls in your remit of 'reasonable cost'.

Alternative would be LEVAS who have a stretch of the Soar at Kegworth as well as the Trent in Colwick and Long Eaton - possibly further away but only £30.

I have been in both and was in Broome for about 10 years until the start of last season.

Arch

Site Supporter
How about Loughborough Soar ?? Just inside Leicestershire.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Yep Loughborough only about 6miles away. I'm looking for something like that to be honest.

Arch

Site Supporter
They have sections of the river Soar (Obviously) some canal behind Fisons. they also have a pond at Dishley, which looks quite nice.

Their website is a little out of date, but they have Facebook page.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Do you / have you fished any of their water Arch? I was looking at their website when your last message came through, quite a coincidence.
I was looking at Sutton Bonnington aswell. I've got plenty to choose from.
I may have a look at the Trent too.
Thanks Arch.

Arch

Site Supporter
I used to fish in their match team, although I don't like the Soar as much as the Trent. Sutton is like a large canal. Drive down Soar Ln in Sutton Bonnington and stop at the river. Mainly pole fishing with some Waggler fishing. Tench on some pegs just right of the lane end. Bream further right when there's a little colour in. Some big Eels down there too. The pegs behind the Otter pub on the A6 are good. Mainly general fishing, but can be a walk to the better pegs. A couple of sections at Zouch a little similar to SB.

The "Natural" river holds Barbel and good Chub. I'm a bit out of touch with their waters TBH, they've lost one or two sections of what they used to have. The Abbey at Cotes mill is a good hotspot, the eleven Arches near Stamford is another well fished section.

The canal is superb in the winter time, and fishes well in the summer. Standard canal tactics although Bloodwarm and Joker is the preferend bait in the winter. Never fished Dishley, but it gets good reviews. Some good Tench.

I'm a member of Burton Mutual and they have loads of the Trent from Burton down the Swarkestone. Not cheap, but lots to go at, and of course the lovely river Dove.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I had a quick look at Burton Mutual the other day to be honest, a few years ago I was a Swadlincote member and at one time they were I believe amalgamated to Burton Mutual.
We used to go to Rosliston with our caravan for odd weekends away but local and many a time I crossed the bailey bridge over the Trent.
I think Burton may be a contender too.

Thanks Arch.