River fishing for trout and perch

WILLNF6

Hi all,

I have been float and feeder fishing on commercial venues for a while now but have decided to start a new challenge and take up river fishing.

To start with, I have purchased a fairly cheap spinning set as I know that there are stretches near me (West Yorkshire) that hold good stocks of wild brown trout and perch. Any advice on lures, spinners and spoons would be much appreciated, as well as just general advice on what to look for in a spot and the best way to fish these lures. I'll primarily be fishing on the rivers Aire, Wharfe and possibly the Worth.

Thanks in advance.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Mepps spinners, bronze or silver in smaller sizes up to No2 at max for longer casts on Wharfe. I favoured a no 1. Black or red spotted Mepps best, tho' more expensive, but imitations also work. Avoid Devon minnows to avoid line twist especially if retrieving against the flow which is best avoided. 6lbs monofilament usually adequate, but if near slow water pike habitats use wire trace, otherwise no need. Concentrate on accurate casting, not distance, normally retrieving with or across the flow, beginning at tail of pools to pick off fish and quickly bring them downstream so not to alert others upstream. Fish usually face upstream and the flow bringing them food, but be aware of and adjust for counter currents. Some good lies from Keighley on the Aire, down to and especially below Bingley around the cricket ground and bypass. Not much usually in the Worth and difficult to get at. Casting across wider stretches, and retrieving spinner downstream just faster than current seemed to work best on these, my former waters. Photo here of what I usually fly fish for from a boat out on the local lough.
Tight Lines

Attachments

• 20150729_110120.jpg
    20150729_110120.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 10

WILLNF6

Thanks so much for such a thorough answer! Will take all this on board and let you know how I get on? Cheers again