River fishing feeder setups

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Almost got all the kit together to tackle rivers, so I've started thinking about terminal tackle and bait requirements.

My initial intention was to fish a cage feeder inline, with a quick change insert down to the hooklength of about 15", increasing to perhaps 30" in faster flow. The feeder to be plugged up at one end with a stodgy bread/particle groundbait mix, hemp in the middle, then plugged the other end with more bread. Hookbait is going to tend to the natural side so was thinking maggots, worm, corn and perhaps meat. Targeting anything that swims.

I realise methods vary a lot depending on venue and conditions, but would the above be a reasonable starting point?

Since I've never really fished rivers before, I'm just looking for something to get me started and that can perhaps be developed further.

Browner

Site Supporter
My advice would be to keep it simple.
slide a float stop onto the main line then a quick change swivel bead then two more float stops. Attach a hook length with loop to loop method.
Now you can attach a cage feeder, maggot feeder or a bomb to the swivel bead. The float stops allow you to increase or decrease the distance between feeder and hook by sliding then up or down the main line and it allows you to have a free running or bolt rig by push the stops together or moving them apart.

Browner

Site Supporter
Bait wise sounds fine. I’m a big fan of likky bread and hemp in a cage feeder with either bread, meat or corn on the hook.

Last edited:

Reuben

Site Supporter
Personally, I’d fish the loop set up with the feeder on a 12” loop to start - you can always shorten it & use a hooklength of your choice.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
People might laugh at the simplicity of the rigs I use on the local river, just a feeder and a couple of small shot below it to stop it on the line. I do this because a) it works just fine and b) I lose so many rigs to snags it's simple to set back up. Bait wise I like using maggots or casters when there's not too many small fish about, bigger baits like worm, bread, meat sometimes, and almost always a blockend feeder with maggots, casters, hemp but the groundbait feeder with would play a part on different rivers.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
this youtube video of James Robbins fishing a block end feeder on the Trent is now my go to rig on rivers, simple to tie and very effective. Quick and easy to switch between block end, cage or bomb.