River fishing around Melton Mowbray

Mechtech123

Hi all,

hoping someone on here is able to help me.

recently returned to fishing and am based in Melton mowbray. Used to fish the River Eye (pet foods area) many years ago and produced some good chub back then. Has anyone on here fished the Eye recently, and have any pointers or tips that may help?
Additionally, what other rivers are their local to me that produce a decent head of fish, would be looking to fish for chub/barbel or carp really.

many thanks in advance

grey

Site Supporter
Tough fishing apparently, but still pockets that hold decent fish - the nearby soar is the same.

There is a thread from earlier in the year on this - search 'melton mowbray'

As of nearby rivers with good fishing: your best and closest is probably the Trent(?) to the north, the Soar to the west, Welland to the east and south (good for silvers and chub Stamford in town centre and free fishing), and the Nene bit further beyond the Welland which has some good fishing.

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
River Nene Wellingborough to Oundle on the Wellingborough card. Only an hour's drive from Melton. My son commutes Melton to Oundle and back every day.

As a Wellingborough committee member I have to try and promote the club. And as I am temporarily issuing the books bought on line .....

:D