River Eye Leicestershire.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Anyone have any information regarding clubs or tickets for the Eye please? PM if you wish guys thanks. Richard.

Harrystans

Anyone have any information regarding clubs or tickets for the Eye please? PM if you wish guys thanks. Richard.
It's my local river I've been fishing for about 3 years and no part of the river is owned by any club it's completely free. Home to some specimen fish but finding them is very hard, what were you planning on targeting if you dont mind me asking.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I was asking Harry as it was my old stamping ground, the Eye and the Welland. I lived in Melton at the time, and fancied a look see if any of the old swims I remember were still there. This was the time of the Chub Study group, when i was one of the founder members Harry.

I could show you some very big fish I've taken from this river many years ago. I had my first 5lb chub when I was 16 years old, roach to 2.8oz, Ive kept a journal of my fishing there. Take a look at www.rivertrentangler.com under Nostalgia. if your interested Harry.

Harrystans

I was asking Harry as it was my old stamping ground, the Eye and the Welland. I lived in Melton at the time, and fancied a look see if any of the old swims I remember were still there. This was the time of the Chub Study group, when i was one of the founder members Harry.

I could show you some very big fish I've taken from this river many years ago. I had my first 5lb chub when I was 16 years old, roach to 2.8oz, Ive kept a journal of my fishing there. Take a look at www.rivertrentangler.com under Nostalgia. if your interested Harry.
Some beautiful roach there, still see some big roach in the eye but its mainly the rudd that seem to hit that sort of size in the eye. Not too dissimilar to my fishing routines either, biking down the local and staying for as long as humanly possible. Fishing isnt as strong on the eye as it once was, a good friend had weighed a chub he caught at 6lb but they're caught very rarely and he happens to live next to the river. Caught literally out of his own garden. However due to nobody owning the eye or wreake in melton it became overgrown to the point where there was only 2 or 3 fishable swims around petfoods. Another fisherman now comes down with a machete and cuts swims out, bank is lined all the way up with swims to fish from now. However I havent spoken or heard of anybody catching a bream or hybrid for years.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Never any bream when I fished it, and no Rudd either. It such a shame I remember one season taking 40 chub over 4lb and 2 5lb fish they were big fish in those days remember we are talking about the 60s?

Harrystans

Never any bream when I fished it, and no Rudd either. It such a shame I remember one season taking 40 chub over 4lb and 2 5lb fish they were big fish in those days remember we are talking about the 60s?
Goes to show just how much the river can change as years go by, I imagine it was cared for a lot more back then than it is now. The council push it to one side and the EA dont want anything to do with it either. Is down to the fishermen.