River don

AdamRussell93

So I’m still hunting my first river barbel, and I’ve heard that the stretch of the don that meets the Dearne is a good hunting ground. Just wondering if anyone had fished it, and the best way to get to it. Cheers!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
So I’m still hunting my first river barbel, and I’ve heard that the stretch of the don that meets the Dearne is a good hunting ground. Just wondering if anyone had fished it, and the best way to get to it. Cheers!
Hi Adam. Try the river around Sprotborough mate. My mate has been going up and catching two or three just as it’s getting dark from the first few pegs nearest the little car park. Only small 3 to 4lb fish but, plenty of them. Luncheon meat, corn or a small meaty boilie usually scores on there. Don’t go too light though. It can be a tad snaggy.

AdamRussell93

Near the weir or the other side of the bridge? I’m not too bothered if they’re big or not I just want to get the hang of catching them, then hopefully target the bigger ones. Cheers for the reply mate.

davepellet

They say the dearne has some good barbel but location seems to be a closely guarded secret, I did fish it some years ago near the nature reserve around pastures area, no barbel though... just chub and a lot of gudgeon - or were they small barbel!!??!!

AdamRussell93

They say the dearne has some good barbel but location seems to be a closely guarded secret, I did fish it some years ago near the nature reserve around pastures area, no barbel though... just chub and a lot of gudgeon - or were they small barbel!!??!!
Can say I’ve fished the Dearne a hell of a lot between the Harlington and pastures stretch and whilst I’ve had some lovely chub (biggest was 4lb 8oz) the barbel have been elusive. I know they’re there my mate had a nice one a couple of months back. But like you say it’s a closely guarded secret that no one seems to be willing to share.

davepellet

That’s barbel fishing for yer... I have had them on the don, but way upstream on the Tin Mill stretch above Sheffield. They used to congregate under a tree where the river bends at 90 degrees on the driveway up to the dam, never very big... think the biggest I had was a 3lber, lovely fish though

AdamRussell93

I’ve had them from a lake nearby to about 4lb but I’d love to get one from a river. The dream is a double figure one but any barbel would be a start!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Near the weir or the other side of the bridge? I’m not too bothered if they’re big or not I just want to get the hang of catching them, then hopefully target the bigger ones. Cheers for the reply mate.
Other side of the bridge on the bend just before you start climbing the steep hill there’s a little car park to your right. He’s been parking there and fishing the first few pegs. Two reasons really. He’s not too good on his feet and he’s worried to leave his car as the local scum are forever targeting anglers cars around there. Anglers and folk walking their dogs. Lads on scooters they believe so, if you do go make sure you don’t leave anything in your car or at least nothing on show. ?

AdamRussell93

Other side of the bridge on the bend just before you start climbing the steep hill there’s a little car park to your right. He’s been parking there and fishing the first few pegs. Two reasons really. He’s not too good on his feet and he’s worried to leave his car as the local scum are forever targeting anglers cars around there. Anglers and folk walking their dogs. Lads on scooters they believe so, if you do go make sure you don’t leave anything in your car or at least nothing on show. ?
I know exactly where you mean, thanks for the heads up! I live about 10-15 mins away from the weir so I know exactly the type of people that are around. Thanks for your help!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I know exactly where you mean, thanks for the heads up! I live about 10-15 mins away from the weir so I know exactly the type of people that are around. Thanks for your help!
Just a thought but, could you get dropped off with just what you need. Feeder rod, seat, bait etc I don’t want your car getting broke into now I’ve recommended a place. That would upset me. Good luck matey. ??

AdamRussell93

Just a thought but, could you get dropped off with just what you need. Feeder rod, seat, bait etc I don’t want your car getting broke into now I’ve recommended a place. That would upset me. Good luck matey. ??
To be honest mate there isn’t, Missus drives a small merc and I’ve got a pick up so really that’s my only option. Should be fine really, i wouldn’t hold you responsible if anything happened!