River Don Grayling

tincatim

Site Supporter
Two fish I’ve never had the pleasure of catching, trout and grayling. Providing the lockdown is eased off so that we can travel to fish, before March. I’m planning to fish for grayling for the first time. The River Don is close to me and I work in Sheffield (well I did before WFH), I fancy trying a stretch of the river just north of the city. The issue I have is just where can I actually fish?

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos recently, one from Matt Godfrey and one from Jamie Harrison. They’re both fishing somewhere between Oughtibridge and Sheffield City Centre, possibly near Hillsborough? It looks like there’s plenty of Grayling and trout to be had there, I’m just not sure where I’m allowed to fish.

Could anyone local to Sheffield point me in the right direction? I’m not looking for exact swims or anything, just a stretch that I can get to and fish.

davepellet

Yes, I fish it a lot most winters.
There are several stretches you could go at, some more accessible than others, but what I’d recommend is the stretch from oughtibridge down through middlewood towards Winn gardens area. You can park in oughtibridge, bang next to the park and follow the river down stream, or park right up at the very end of claywheels lane at Wadsley Bridge (go right up the wooded lane) and follow it upstream.
They’ve removed a couple of weirs from this stretch which means it’s got some very interesting deeper runs, as well as shallower stretches.
I’d wait until the colour & volume of water drops though, it’s in flood at the minute and as grayling are sight feeders you’ll struggle until it’s a bit clearer

tincatim

Site Supporter
Thanks Dave, that’s perfect! I’ve found the park on Google Maps and can see the Upper Don Trail. That gives me a nice starting point to go at. It’ll probably be February now until I get chance to go, and that also depends on lockdown rules as it’s half an hour’s drive.

I take it that it’s free fishing on this stretch?

davepellet

Yes pal, free fishing on most of the Don, there are a couple of private stretches upstream, but the way I see it, the fish move about especially when the floodwaters force them to, so these private sections have no way of keeping their fish within their own boundaries. There’s also a good stretch at Neepsend, along Club Mill Road, but car parking is more of an issue down there