River Don at Sprotbrough Falls...

Norman Baits

Account Locked
Looks like a lovely spot. Some great photos there!

Can you still see them, only I don't seem to be able to? I uploaded about 5 photos and now they're not there. Are you supposed to click on "attach files" after you've uploaded them or something?

Silver fan 82

Can you still see them, only I don't seem to be able to? I uploaded about 5 photos and now they're not there. Are you supposed to click on "attach files" after you've uploaded them or something?
They were there earlier when I quoted your post but seem to have gone now. That's odd? Maybe @Dave can help out?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'll look into it once I'm back on the desktop

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
All done, they were there when you clicked to edit the post but for some reason following the software upgrade they didn't show.

Norman Baits

Account Locked
Awesome photos by the way (y)
Thank you for sorting it Dave and thanks for the compliment RE the photos?
Lovely pics mate, some great light on them!

Thanks Roachy. Apart from the one taken in Mexborough, the others, the ones taken at Sprotbrough were taken during the "golden hour" which is the hour before or after dark, in this case the hour before dark. It's the best natural lighting there is, soft and diffused with long shadows for the drama, but you have to be out there to get them.

Norman Baits

Account Locked
Totally agree on the conditions mate, certainly the best times. Golden hour in autumn is the pinnacle
Even better when the scene isn't back-lit. I had to under-expose some of them by around -3 EV to preserve the detail in the sky and then selectively lifted the shadows in post processing afterwards. If i'd got the scene correctly exposed in-camera, the sky would have been blown out (white) with zero detail (pixel information). It gives them a little bit of an HDR look, but that's better than the alternative. People say it's cheating, but in film photography they dodged and burned, i.e. in the dark room they applied more or less developing fluid to specific areas to increase or decrease the exposure. The PC has now become a digital dark room. Less messy too.