River Don Adventures

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
The Kilnhurst book has been under consideration for a few years, I will try it at some point. Probably tied in with Ravenfield in a few years, it looks a nice chilled place to fish and there’s plenty of variety with the canal and river too.
Im sure they do day tickets.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Think you can get dayticket for the kilnhurst canal on the bank
Ravenfields I think you can fish with a member as guest dont do daytickets and you need a key for the gate

tincatim

Site Supporter
Making the most of available opportunities is the name of the game for me, this season. An early start meant an early dart and I was away and fishing by 16.15. I went back to the stretch of the Don near St Mary’s Bridge, it looks fantastic and I know it contains barbel… somewhere!
F9019248-495F-4F86-8300-5590F2FB0C79.jpeg

I started off with a pva stick, full of 2mm pellets and Sonubaits Barbel groundbait, mixed dry. This was attached to a 2ft hooklength, a size 10 and a 12mm spicy sausage dumbbell.
D4869982-E505-43C4-A68B-B66E382CD903.jpeg

Three casts later and the tip started bouncing away, I was into what I thought felt like a chub. But this was no chevin, in fact it was what I can come in search of… albeit a very tiny version!

Perfection in miniature, and a good sign for the future.
0CC5F3CA-987F-46AE-AE4B-9483BA5815AF.jpeg

I then spent the next two hours without a bite, I kept ringing the changes, longer hooklengths, different size pellets, paste, pva bags or straight lead with catapulted loose feed. The odd rattle on the tip providing some optimism, either way I was quite happy with the baby barbel and it’s been a nice warm evening sat relaxing by the riverbank.

I started to type this report up as I was thinking of packing up. In fact I’m still here now, on my third last cast. My first last cast was half an hour ago which resulted a three foot twitch and an adrenaline fuelled battle with something much bigger than the first bite. The end result was a lovely 6lb 4oz River Don barbel.

01574215-C27A-4BA8-8814-5A96FA291210.jpeg

I’m well happy with that! My target was to just catch one from this river, so with objective achieved I’m heading off to enjoy the weekend.

Attachments

• 49B86DC3-46AE-4133-B920-8E35BC6864DE.jpeg
    49B86DC3-46AE-4133-B920-8E35BC6864DE.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 13

tincatim

Site Supporter
I booked today off work for something we had planned but that fell through, so I kept the day’s leave and went fishing this morning. I headed for Sprotborugh Weir, an area of the River Don that holds barbel, but I’ve never fished it.

I half expected there to be people fishing when I got there at 8am, instead I was pleased to find the whole place empty. There’s some stunning looking swims that scream fish, so I had a walk around and settled on this swim.
4F46129E-958B-428B-B4F0-D4890AA97CC3.jpeg

This is the closest you can get to the weir, my view over the railings to my left was impressive.

I’ve heard that this place is a proper snag pit, so to kick things off I cast a lead around to find some clear space. I settled on this area, a deeper spot at the end of some faster flowing water.
741E9F34-7B95-4528-AA5C-C03092EE27D9.jpeg

I mixed up some Sonu Barbel groundbait but started off with pva pellets and a 2oz lead. 15 mins into the first cast and the tip began nodding, a nice bream of about 3lb came to the net.
055FFD5C-F39E-4AAF-A3D0-9BFF4A803E9E.jpeg

This was followed by another two in the next hour, along with one that came off at the net.
6C49AB30-FDEA-468A-A655-24C80FFF99BE.jpeg

C2213C28-5A01-44A2-9628-FB3E3A38433E.jpeg

Things were going fairly well… until a cormorant decided it also wanted to go fishing. The bloody thing swooped into the weirpool and systematically worked its way up to my swim. Diving right on the spot where I’d been catching 😡 unsurprisingly things went a bit quiet after that, I did have another bream about two hours later. And the cormorant came back twice more while I was there.

I started another couple of swims up, one to the tail end of the white water, and one to my right in the slack water near an overhanging tree. Sadly this is where I got to experience the full Sprotborough snagfest. I lost two feeders and three leads. I also hooked into a barbel which stripped line of my reel at a rate of knots, I stopped it and got it under control just before the hooklength parted 😩 it must have been damaged in amongst the snaggy things.

So not the best result, but I did enjoy it. It’s a really nice place to fish, especially on a Monday morning. I saw kingfishers, and a heron catch a roach. But the tonne of litter and campfire remnants from the weekend tell you it’s a different place then.

AdamRussell93

I booked today off work for something we had planned but that fell through, so I kept the day’s leave and went fishing this morning. I headed for Sprotborugh Weir, an area of the River Don that holds barbel, but I’ve never fished it.

I half expected there to be people fishing when I got there at 8am, instead I was pleased to find the whole place empty. There’s some stunning looking swims that scream fish, so I had a walk around and settled on this swim.
4F46129E-958B-428B-B4F0-D4890AA97CC3.jpeg

This is the closest you can get to the weir, my view over the railings to my left was impressive.

I’ve heard that this place is a proper snag pit, so to kick things off I cast a lead around to find some clear space. I settled on this area, a deeper spot at the end of some faster flowing water.
741E9F34-7B95-4528-AA5C-C03092EE27D9.jpeg

I mixed up some Sonu Barbel groundbait but started off with pva pellets and a 2oz lead. 15 mins into the first cast and the tip began nodding, a nice bream of about 3lb came to the net.
055FFD5C-F39E-4AAF-A3D0-9BFF4A803E9E.jpeg

This was followed by another two in the next hour, along with one that came off at the net.
6C49AB30-FDEA-468A-A655-24C80FFF99BE.jpeg

C2213C28-5A01-44A2-9628-FB3E3A38433E.jpeg

Things were going fairly well… until a cormorant decided it also wanted to go fishing. The bloody thing swooped into the weirpool and systematically worked its way up to my swim. Diving right on the spot where I’d been catching 😡 unsurprisingly things went a bit quiet after that, I did have another bream about two hours later. And the cormorant came back twice more while I was there.

I started another couple of swims up, one to the tail end of the white water, and one to my right in the slack water near an overhanging tree. Sadly this is where I got to experience the full Sprotborough snagfest. I lost two feeders and three leads. I also hooked into a barbel which stripped line of my reel at a rate of knots, I stopped it and got it under control just before the hooklength parted 😩 it must have been damaged in amongst the snaggy things.

So not the best result, but I did enjoy it. It’s a really nice place to fish, especially on a Monday morning. I saw kingfishers, and a heron catch a roach. But the tonne of litter and campfire remnants from the weekend tell you it’s a different place then.
Unlucky with the barbel mate! Experienced the same today, always wanted to fish the peg you’ve fished today. Heard good things but it’s heavily pressured

tincatim

Site Supporter
Unlucky with the barbel mate! Experienced the same today, always wanted to fish the peg you’ve fished today. Heard good things but it’s heavily pressured
I didn’t even know it was there until today but yeah it looks like the best peg to me. I’m sure a better angler would have got some barbel out, like you say it’s heavily pressured there. I bet it’s been fished constantly all weekend.

AdamRussell93

If I was going to fish there, it’d be either that peg or the one the other side of the river at the side of the falls. Just always see people fishing them, so there’s good fish to be had surely.

Griffo

Site Supporter
If I was going to fish there, it’d be either that peg or the one the other side of the river at the side of the falls. Just always see people fishing them, so there’s good fish to be had surely.
Yep the peg on the island was the better peg, but never empty through the summer Tim did well to get on The Doncaster peg.

Griffo

Site Supporter
I’ve not been over that side yet, are you talking this area here?

39DB7778-C223-496B-9BC6-7230F9CCDD24.jpeg
Only problem is there was a run of rocks out from the weir, so you had to play down river and then back up, l always did better on that bank than the side of the fish pass. Plus I always had the Rotherham book not the Doni book. But so many fishing it now it’s not somewhere I even try now even though it’s 2miles from my door.

AdamRussell93

Think it’s about the same from me, but it’s full of lads that can’t get to collingham chucking 6oz leads and 24mm halibuts in. I’d rather put the distance in and go elsewhere if I’m honest. Hate fishing crowded places.

Griffo

Site Supporter
I agree, but my knees are now shot so it limits me to easily accessible pegs that and barbel don’t tend to go hand in hand lol, still would love to catch a double figure whisker from the local river.

tincatim

Site Supporter
That’s my aim this season, a double from each. I’m not feeling very confident at the moment though, but there’s plenty of time at least.