River Derwent Yedingham

Iamspartacus

Hi. Thinking of having a go on the river Derwent at Yedingham. I know there will be more productive parts of the Derwent, but the idea of possibly having a stretch of river to myself for the day is appealing. What fish would I expect to find? What tactics would you suggest? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Will this help you?...

River Derwent - Yedingham
Tickets from Providence Inn, Yedingham
01944 728231/728093

Iamspartacus

Thankyou. I've seen this a few times, but it's the only bit of information I can find! I think I'll just have to get out there and give it a go.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Iamspartacus

The main 4 species are Trout, Grayling, Chub and Barbel, but not having fished that area before I couldn't tell you if that stretch runs fast, slow or in between so tactics are unknown to me. Other species are there but the 4 listed are the main targets.

Iamspartacus

Thankyou for the help. I think I'll just go investigate and maybe do a bit of trotting. It'll be an enjoyable way to spend a few hours anyway!

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I'd be tempted to take maggot, worm and casters for the first exploration.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you are after grayling, trout and chub they won't be bothered too much by only a foot or so of water, where I occasionally fish on the Itchen its rarely much deeper that in the summer.

biggsy

Site Supporter
Thanks. That changes things!!
Do you know about the Derwent at Low Marishes? Anymore depth there?
Never fished there but it does get deeper below where the River Rye joins it. Newsham Bridge and Butterwick on the Rye
did have a bit more depth.

david white

Site Supporter
Never fished there but it does get deeper below where the River Rye joins it. Newsham Bridge and Butterwick on the Rye
did have a bit more depth.

Both on the YDAA club book, but beware Newsham bridge is to be closed to traffic October 28th to November 24th check out water details on the YDAA website
YDAA also have stretches of the Derwent in a few locations very fickle river but the rewards are there if you persevere
As a footnote some of the Rye is over 10 ft deep ( lower Derwent up to 16 ft in places ) so take care on the banks

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Chauffeured around today (touch of LURGY) to get some air. Visited these past MDrs posts. !!! 2x Derwent @ Yedingham, other @ River Rye Newsham Bridge, w/ semi dammed river and digger on repairs under bridge.

Attachments

• DSCF3877.jpg
    DSCF3877.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF3880.jpg
    DSCF3880.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF3891.jpg
    DSCF3891.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: