River Derwent. Chatsworth House.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Anyone have any info on this? Is it day ticket or one of those places where you have to wait 2 or 3 years to gain interest on the sale of an arm and a leg? Any info welcome.
Thanks.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I think it’s fly fishing only. It’s also very expensive from what I remember.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I think it’s fly fishing only. It’s also very expensive from what I remember.

Thanks @Markywhizz, that lets me out then. I'm not paying an arm and 2 legs. I was thinking of somewhere different to wet a line or two but if it's fly only I'm stuffed straight away.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Bit of fishing on the derwent whilst having a couple days camping in the Peak District has been a plan of mine for a while but finding the coarse bits near nice sites hasn’t been easy with the fly monopoly around there.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Bit of fishing on the derwent whilst having a couple days camping in the Peak District has been a plan of mine for a while but finding the coarse bits near nice sites hasn’t been easy with the fly monopoly around there.

That idea has been knocked in the head then.
Thanks. :upthumb:

Flathead

Site Supporter
Plenty of coarse fishing round Matlock and Matlock Bath...plenty of campsites as well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah it’s around there where I’ve been thinking of, just haven’t timed it right yet with spaces available and decent weather. Maybe next year.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Brings back memories of the old Chatsworth angling fair (does this still happen) Ian Heaps used to do demos on the Derwent for stuff like groundbait and pole etc. He then proceeded to catch Grayling and Trout. Bought some great tackle bargains from the various stalls. Think this may have been held in around May time of the old full closed season?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Unfortunately not, the Chatsworth Angling Fair stopped in 2006. There a little write up of it here...

IanG1

Site Supporter
Nice write up that, brings back memories.
Did a few Ian Heaps angling holidays back in the early nineties when he was based in the Peterborough area where we fished places like Decoy, Biggin lakes in the early days of commercials. Slider on the Nene North Bank. Nene at Ringstead and the final knock up on the Saturday morning on Corby boating lake to see if you could win your weeks beer money back. Ian was a superb host, first to the bar and last to leave. We went and fished the area lots after these introductions and fished the opens at Decoy before poles where up to catching big carp. margin fishing on rod and reel constantly feeding maggots was the method back then (gallon for a 5 hour match lol)

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
i know fishing at bakewell is fly only you can feed the trout with bread off the bridge near car parks in town centre or did last time i went