River Derwent, Ayton stretch

James5769

Hi guys,

I'm a Scarborough Local currently in York for Uni however when I come home I like to fish my home waters. My specific home water is the stretch of the Derwent which runs through Ayton. I'd consider myself a predator angler above all and have fished this stretch many times when I first got into fresh water fishing. From this stretch I've had grayling, brown trout (up to almost 3lb) and I've even seen a rainbow trout come out. However, being a predator angler I always had an inclination there may be pike in this stretch. I know they are in the Derwent further down (where the derwent meets the river hertford) however I've never seen or caught one from this stretch. I asked around the village and heard stories that many years a go a 25lber that was well known to locals was dragged out and killed by someone but no one has heard anything of pike after that. I emailed the Derwent Angling Club who own the stretch further up through Forge Valley (a fly club for brown trout & grayling) and they said that they have no records of pike in their stretch, but once again reiterated the story of the fabled 25lber. I also asked around in Facebook groups of pike in this stretch and people reckon they may be there but no one has caught one to confirm it. I have done maybe 15 session on both deadbait and lures and the only thing to come out where brownies and the float bobbed once or twice but never resulted in a fish. So, if anyone has any information at all about pike in this stretch I would love to hear it.

Additionally, if you're from round North Yorkshire you may remember a tackle shop in Scarborough called Gone Fishin', this was my dads tackle shop (he's called Angus) and if you have any stories of him I'd love to hear them. He was also the bailiff at Wykeham Lakes Fishery for many years (About 20 years ago). If you do have any stories then I'll be sure to relay them. Unfortunately due to his health he's not able to be out on the bank much but I'm sure any stories you have would put a smile on his face. It seems while I'm in York I can't escape hearing stories from other anglers of my dads escapades hahaha.

Tight lines!
James.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
In the twelve years or so (off and on) that I lived, worked and occasionally fished in the area, I never heard of pike above the unnatural straightened parts of the river. You do tend to find that on parts of North Yorkshire rivers where trout and grayling become prevalent, the pike numbers dwindle rapidly. However, it's the kind of thing where you can never say never. They do occasionally pop up unexpectedly. That doesn't really make them a viable target though.

I do remember your dad and the shop, though I don't think I encountered either more than a couple of times.

James5769

In the twelve years or so (off and on) that I lived, worked and occasionally fished in the area, I never heard of pike above the unnatural straightened parts of the river. You do tend to find that on parts of North Yorkshire rivers where trout and grayling become prevalent, the pike numbers dwindle rapidly. However, it's the kind of thing where you can never say never. They do occasionally pop up unexpectedly. That doesn't really make them a viable target though.

I do remember your dad and the shop, though I don't think I encountered either more than a couple of times.
It definitely seems to be that the unnatural straight parts of the Derwent seem to be what host the Pike. I’ve hooked into them down towards Brompton/Snainton. The only sign I’ve had potentially of Pike in Ayton is a brown trout I caught with a large bite mark around it, however there are obviously other predators which could potentially have done this. I’ll continue with my little quest but I don’t have high hopes for a pike hahaha

willam

It definitely seems to be that the unnatural straight parts of the Derwent seem to be what host the Pike. I’ve hooked into them down towards Brompton/Snainton. The only sign I’ve had potentially of Pike in Ayton is a brown trout I caught with a large bite mark around it, however there are obviously other predators which could potentially have done this. I’ll continue with my little quest but I don’t have high hopes for a pike hahaha
Just read your post I’ve been trying to find out who as the fishing rights between Brompton and Sherborne just above Brooklands fisheries would love some information

James5769

Just read your post I’ve been trying to find out who as the fishing rights between Brompton and Sherborne just above Brooklands fisheries would love some information
As far as I’m aware that’s all EA controlled, you can fish it and I have done several times. It is very steep banks and a lot of streamer weed. I’ve seen a few jack pike around and I know there are a good head of face and other coarse species. Maybe see you down the bank sometimes 🎣🎣

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Please say hello and give my regards to Angus. I spent many a lunch hour buying stuff and chatting with him. Paul Cresswell.

James5769

Please say hello and give my regards to Angus. I spent many a lunch hour buying stuff and chatting with him. Paul Cresswell.
I’ve told my dad you sent your regards and he said he had some fond memories of you coming into the shop. He hopes you’re doing well, he always likes to hear from people :)