river dee,eccleston

andy clark

i went and got some bait yesterday for a quick session after work this morning,got home and checked the weather!![br]I decided to fish the river dee on the platform at the bottom of church lane,eccleston.far enough away from the free car park and it was football (long story),dog and incident free with exception of the odd morning pleasentry with some runners..[br]I arrived at 4.15 was fishing for 0500.[br]accolyte whip with flick tip fished 7m to hand[br].13 mainline with a 1.75g olivette and 3 no 8s either side of the olivette for the bulk, a small swivel and .9 hooklength to a size 18 wide gape canal seed hook. I fish .13 mainline as it gives a bit more control when fishing to hand,the .9 hooklength will break first if I hit a lump on the flick tip.[br]I plumbed up and got 10ft at 7m with slight 6" variation half way down rising back up towards the end of the run through.starting depth was just touching bottom.[br]bait wise I decided to feed heavy with a all or nothing approach.[br]half a bag of gros garden,half a bag of dynamite silver fish caster meal and some mole hill soil to help get it down laced with hemp,caster and a generous handful of maggots.[br]I balled in 3 big balls with a view to fish it out until the bites dried up.[br]half a dozen runs through on maggot and only 1 pair of eyes for my effort. a slight change of depth (deeper) and this brought the bites on more frequently on the maggot. a change to caster seen the size of roach increase so I decided to feed a pinch of hemp every run through.[br]better roach on the caster with positive bites being induced by holding the float back.when the bites dried up another ball went in and this would bring the bites back. I think they were backing off and drifting down following the loose feed out of the ground bait..once the ball went in I was catching almost directly over the top of it.[br]6.am the rain started and for once they wernt wrong!!!! it really did rain as much as they said it was going to![br]I've had 10 minute spells of no bites,there wasnt any signs of pike so would put it down to me feeding it wrong.[br]by 8 a.m I was starting to get wet through the seams of my waterproofs as I dont use a brolly when fishing on a a seat box as it's more hassle than it worth.[br]I havent found any quality roach today,no bites on hemp or tares would indicate they wernt there as that combination usually sorts the better fish out. ground bait might have been the reason why but it was still a very enjoyable 3 hours where i was constantly having to change things to keep the fish coming.

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
That's a great net of fish from what I consider a difficult part of the river. Having said that, I've only ever fished Eccleston in the Wirral Winter League back in the late 80's. Don't think I ever cracked a pound but did come third in my section once with one big dace & a big roach. The winter method used to be to chuck a bomb over to the far bank & wait!

andy clark

the dee has some monster roach, this one was from a couple of seasons ago, taken on a 16mm boiloe whist fishing for carp. the mat it is on is a fox easy unhooking mat to help gauge the size of it. no scales fine enough to weigh it unfortunately. 20160706_041846_001.jpg

D

Deleted member 21081

Any advice on methods for silvers on the City Centre stretch would be well appreciated cheers?

andy clark

I use ground bait,and quite alot if it in town.
I usually fish the pole and ball it in and fish it out untill bites slow and then top up.
caster sorts the better fish out. I've caught well on hemp and tares too.
bottom of dee lane is the deepest area around there.
a waggler down the middle just tripping bottome works well but you need to be there early before everyone wakes up to fish down the middle.
I would fish the method your most comfortable with,I'm sure you'll catch.

D

Deleted member 21081

I use ground bait,and quite alot if it in town.
I usually fish the pole and ball it in and fish it out untill bites slow and then top up.
caster sorts the better fish out. I've caught well on hemp and tares too.
bottom of dee lane is the deepest area around there.
a waggler down the middle just tripping bottome works well but you need to be there early before everyone wakes up to fish down the middle.
I would fish the method your most comfortable with,I'm sure you'll catch.
Excellent thank you.

Used to be all dace years ago, with an odd roach, seems like the roach have fared better over the years?

Did you catch many carp there?

andy clark

I've had a few mate, they're alot more nomadic now then they used to be....they are still in town but move out of town for more space,less people wanting to jump on your pre bait and peg.

HALTON DANGLER

not been in that neck woods for while but i believe PAAS have the woods and are bailifing it now as well sure someoine said signs had gone up, quality angling andy