River dee. Cheshire/Wales

Shakaphil

Hello people
Would anybody be able to give me advice on the river dee please?
I’m looking at fishing anywhere between Chester and Llangollen for coarse fish and specifically grayling.
Are there free stretches or day ticket areas?
I’ve caught one small grayling in the past and would love to target them this winter.
I’ve had a look online and many parts of the river seem to be tied up to clubs.
Any information would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
There are few Grayling below Farndon so you need to look really from Bangor upriver to catch them up to Erbistock weir then above that you have a maggot ban but you can still catch on other baits.
Bangor Salmon Anglers used to offer coarse fishing permits and there was a day ticket stretch near Monsanto where the aqueduct crosses the river but I cant remember where you could buy a permit from,could have been Monsanto Angling Club but I think they finished,you could try Llangollen Maelor Angling - the Plas Kynaston Canal Group
Llangollen Maelor Angling - Your guide to fishing on the River Dee in North Wales, UK

Last edited:

Shakaphil

There are few Grayling below Farndon so you need to look really from Bangor upriver to catch them up to Erbistock weir then above that you have a maggot ban but you can still catch on other baits.
Bangor Salmon Anglers used to offer coarse fishing permits and there was a day ticket stretch near Monsanto where the aqueduct crosses the river but I cant remember where you could buy a permit from,could have been Monsanto Angling Club but I think they finished,you could try Llangollen Maelor Angling - the Plas Kynaston Canal Group
Llangollen Maelor Angling - Your guide to fishing on the River Dee in North Wales, UK

Thanks Ken. Great info.
I’ll have a look at those clubs later, when I’ve finished this pesky thing called work!

stephenk

Site Supporter
can you fish off the concrete steps in centre of Chester near the iron bridge - always looks nice there ?

Shakaphil

I’m not sure what the rules are nowadays for the city centre. I’ve seen some pictures of monster perch being caught there though.

D

Deleted member 21081

can you fish off the concrete steps in centre of Chester near the iron bridge - always looks nice there ?
Used to love fishing there as a kid. Was always a Winter venue as the boat traffic in Summer made it virtually unfishable.
Dace were the main species but decent perch and roach too. Tiny feeders with hemp and caster / maggot the main tactics.
Not seen anyone fishing there for years?

stephenk

Site Supporter
look good comfy pegs to fish off. Agree though it would get busy with boats in summer

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
There’s an article in Decembers Pole fishing magazine fishing in the middle of Chester looks really good fishing. Said parking can be a pain unless you get on one of the pay and display before they fill up

D

Deleted member 21081

There’s an article in Decembers Pole fishing magazine fishing in the middle of Chester looks really good fishing. Said parking can be a pain unless you get on one of the pay and display before they fill up
Great I’ll take a look at that!
In the old days fishing was only permitted on the bank furthest from the City. The embankment is not quite so good on that side and lots of the pegs were quite tricky rather than comfortable. Obviously this may have changed in time.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter

Ivan heaphurst

Just read that Prince Albert(Macclesfield) has taken the rights on the river at Eccleston Ferry. It was a well used free stretch of course he Dee. Locals and not so local anglers are not very happy.

Baldie

Some huge Perch to be caught in the city centre on lures or worm. I have never been pulled in the city centre, don’t know of anyone else being asked for permits.

Ivan heaphurst

Update, I am informed that the river in the downstream field next to the car park is still free fishing. It is the river to the right, upstream that has been leased to PA.