River Dearne Sessions 2022/23

tincatim

Site Supporter
It’s down from the footbridge, one of my favourites for chub but I’ve only ever had one barbel from it.

Joshlw

Especially during summer months it gets a bit dodgy down there. Come September/October they’re nowhere to be seen. Belting chub that though mate!
I love fishing there into dark come Autumn/Winter, I've had some cracking Chub. It's always dead to the world at that time too, really tranquil and peaceful. They're the sessions I dream of throughout the year

AdamRussell93

My only issue with the Dearne, other than I can’t catch a barbel and the idiots through summer, is as soon as there’s a breeze, it’s like a hurricane down there.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Went down last night for a quick bash after work. I pondered going to a different stretch but the traffic on the roads soon put me off that idea, so I went to the usual area. I didn’t have time to fetch any maggots so no trotting today, I’ve not ran a float down the river yet this season, I hope to change that soon.

Approach was pellets and pva, with meat for a change bait, it’s worked well for me in the past for barbel and chub and I still haven’t had a Dearne barbel this season (I’ve only been three times now, so no drama). The meat had been flavoured with my spice mix that I use for making BIR curries. It’s turmeric, cumin, coriander, curry powder, paprika and garam masala. It smells amazing, to me at least anyway.

First cast with the meat was in for four minutes before the tip walloped round! A very enthusiastic chub of about 2lb was the culprit.

C7AC7C21-9509-474A-A603-8688A23F3FA9.jpeg

Then nothing for a long while. I kept the bait going in but I got the sense from the low and clear conditions that the chub had spooked any other fish in the swim. After an hour or so I had another big bite, the baitrunner whirred in to action and I lifted into this…
860386A5-01F1-4323-91AE-947249A002F8.jpeg

Took a cube of meat roughly 1.5cm square!

I decided to move but before that, I’d put a few handfuls of pellet into another swim upstream. It’s a swim I’d noted as maybe being a new barbel hideout. Plenty of cover, some streamer weed and some depth. Unfortunately two lads had decided to drop into my prebaited swim ☹️ So I wandered off downstream to try another spot.

This swim resulted in one more chub, a little bigger this time at nearly 3lb. It had slightly weird shape to it, but was welcome all the same.
717273D3-CDDF-434D-BD2F-071DCC6C5C88.jpeg

That was that and time to head home. I stopped to speak to the two lads on my way back up, they’d caught nothing. One was trotting bread the other boshing a big feeder in.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Managed a couple of hours tonight, in between showers. I had some old casters and maggots to use up so I set up a 4 no 4 DH shallow stick on my 12ft Cadence CR10, 4lb Sensor to 2.6lb and a size 18. I picked a nice steady glide of about 3 feet deep.

Bites were instant and I soon realised that the river was heaving with small fry. Hordes of tiny chublets were hammering the maggots as soon as they hit the water.

3092521E-6788-4400-AA2D-64EAEA761052.jpeg

The best way to get through these, I found, was to feed really heavily and trot my float a bit away from the feed. Either behind or downstream. If I could get the float to settle and guide it toward the tail end of the swim, I’d usually be rewarded with a bigger chublet or a pristine dace. Some nice fish and I doubt many of them have ever been caught.
574528EC-CCB0-4FC3-A782-69226EACC3A2.jpeg

169FD476-F49C-4F95-9E48-46F75AC2F2DF.jpeg

4E105959-95CD-4ED7-AEB7-554A622D8391.jpeg

A5569059-77B2-4E4F-9482-41F4AB93BBF7.jpeg

9A28105D-0BAA-474E-92FE-68C1EEFD86FA.jpeg

I ended up fishing three or four maggots or casters on a size 16, just to get through the micro fish. It worked and I probably had around 30 odd dace and chublets, with one single perch that took a chewed maggot in the edge. No roach at all, and nothing of any decent size, but very satisfying to watch the float on running water again and great to see so many small fish in the river. It bodes well for the future.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Quick trip after work today on the off chance I could snatch a Barry. No such luck on that front this season, I’ve not had a single one from the Dearne yet. I’m sure I’d do better if I fished up and into darkness, but I’m usually back home by 8pm for family commitments.

Anyway, today’s swims followed by today’s fish. Two chub and a very dark and dangerous looking bream. All taken on bomb and pellet wrapped in halibut paste.

E7AF3A57-FA7B-496B-84E0-1B03537E6102.jpeg

9C24D07A-57FA-4C2D-A7A6-888D62CF11D8.jpeg

2982CB45-9F33-4F3A-8191-26C119DC5625.jpeg

FDBBACA2-C0A4-41EC-B783-5BF29A0AAF2C.jpeg

9E28BEE0-DE5F-4FE9-88A5-4C842BE0102D.jpeg

I managed to rescue 20 yards of what looked like 50lb line from the last swim, complete with a size 12/14 fairly fine gauged hook. There’s really no excuses for leaving that kind of s**t laying around 😡

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
How come I managed to miss this thread completely ?? Have put it on watch now.
Thanks Tim for some good reports I'll take my time reading them at leisure. (y)Thought the video of the tip rattles was interesting as have had similar when after Barbel on the Trent, guessed chub were the culprits.

tincatim

Site Supporter
How come I managed to miss this thread completely ?? Have put it on watch now.
Thanks Tim for some good reports I'll take my time reading them at leisure. (y)Thought the video of the tip rattles was interesting as have had similar when after Barbel on the Trent, guessed chub were the culprits.
Thanks mate, it’s not been the start I wanted barbel wise but I hope to add some to the thread eventually.

I think most people put the tip rattles and plucks down to chub, could also be roach though. I had one today of about 10oz that did the same dance on the tip. It fell off in the edge so wasn’t well hooked. I would bet that some of the more vibration-like rattles can be barbel too, I’ve certainly had takes straight after them.

I occasionally try a much shorter hair, but still catch chub with that so 🤷🏻‍♂️

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Cracking photos, the river looks fantastic there. Nice little slack behind that tree. That first chub looks like it has a touch of scoliosis, quite a few barbel like that here.

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks mate, it’s not been the start I wanted barbel wise but I hope to add some to the thread eventually.

I think most people put the tip rattles and plucks down to chub, could also be roach though. I had one today of about 10oz that did the same dance on the tip. It fell off in the edge so wasn’t well hooked. I would bet that some of the more vibration-like rattles can be barbel too, I’ve certainly had takes straight after them.

I occasionally try a much shorter hair, but still catch chub with that so 🤷🏻‍♂️
^^ Interesting you say about the 'little vibration like rattles'.....(y)....Had that that a few times when the Severn was carrying a bit of extra water at Bridgnorth.....Feeder would land/hit bottom, set the tip and had a gentle pluck/vibration/rattle (fishing maggot or halibut pellet) then nothing....:unsure:....Said to my mate "next time that happens I'm gonna pick up the rod"......8 sizable barbel later....:oops:....Everyday is a school day......

AdamRussell93

Quick trip after work today on the off chance I could snatch a Barry. No such luck on that front this season, I’ve not had a single one from the Dearne yet. I’m sure I’d do better if I fished up and into darkness, but I’m usually back home by 8pm for family commitments.

Anyway, today’s swims followed by today’s fish. Two chub and a very dark and dangerous looking bream. All taken on bomb and pellet wrapped in halibut paste.

E7AF3A57-FA7B-496B-84E0-1B03537E6102.jpeg

9C24D07A-57FA-4C2D-A7A6-888D62CF11D8.jpeg

2982CB45-9F33-4F3A-8191-26C119DC5625.jpeg

FDBBACA2-C0A4-41EC-B783-5BF29A0AAF2C.jpeg

9E28BEE0-DE5F-4FE9-88A5-4C842BE0102D.jpeg

I managed to rescue 20 yards of what looked like 50lb line from the last swim, complete with a size 12/14 fairly fine gauged hook. There’s really no excuses for leaving that kind of s**t laying around 😡
Tim I’m fairly sure I caught that bream on my first session last year!

bluemack

Site Supporter
^^ Interesting you say about the 'little vibration like rattles'.....(y)....Had that that a few times when the Severn was carrying a bit of extra water at Bridgnorth.....Feeder would land/hit bottom, set the tip and had a gentle pluck/vibration/rattle (fishing maggot or halibut pellet) then nothing....:unsure:....Said to my mate "next time that happens I'm gonna pick up the rod"......8 sizable barbel later....:oops:....Everyday is a school day......
A number of years ago i was fishing the Arrow at Wixford(near Bidford) and i was getting little taps and rattles
so like you i decided to hold the rod and hit anything and ended up with 7 good Chub all over 3lb. if i had carried
on as i was i would have blanked.(y)

AdamRussell93

You might have done? I remember you posting one from the weirpool, did it have a chunk missing from its tail fin?
Yeah that’s the one! The bream I’ve caught from Dearne have all been really dark and had like growths all over them