River Dearne Sessions 2021.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Rumoured to be the barbel feeding ground at night there, haven’t seen anything during the day but you can see it’s gravelly from the bridge.
I’ve caught a barbel there before, it had a bit more water on than now though. It’s very shallow under the bridge but does deepen up around this swim.
I was speaking to a bloke last night, further down stream and he told me he’d had one over 11lb down that way. I’d imagine they swim the entire length at times, you have to be a bit lucky to find them.

AdamRussell93

I think over next couple of months I will start heading that way down, I know the pegs we normally fish all produce but there’s a lot of trees sunken in downstream, surely they hold fish too.

tincatim

Site Supporter
For the sake of balance, I should also report the not so good sessions here. Fished three hours last night and blanked. Not a single bite. The river was once again very busy. I spent an hour fishing just below the weir, then the rest of the time above the weir up to the road bridge.

The only sign of ANY fish at all was this lovely looking ghostie… which taunted me for the last hour. Could have done with some bread to float.
View attachment trim.92008CFC-2410-42E7-B4D6-E3D6852F5445.MOV

AdamRussell93

For the sake of balance, I should also report the not so good sessions here. Fished three hours last night and blanked. Not a single bite. The river was once again very busy. I spent an hour fishing just below the weir, then the rest of the time above the weir up to the road bridge.

The only sign of ANY fish at all was this lovely looking ghostie… which taunted me for the last hour. Could have done with some bread to float.
View attachment trim.92008CFC-2410-42E7-B4D6-E3D6852F5445.MOV
They got in from the pond outside the pastures lodge when it flooded, there’s a few in the storm drain near mill lane!

tincatim

Site Supporter
They got in from the pond outside the pastures lodge when it flooded, there’s a few in the storm drain near mill lane!
I’d like to catch one, never had a river carp so would be a good first. I’m sure they put up a good fight.

AdamRussell93

Hadn’t been down for a few weeks so popped down about 4 o’clock till 8ish. Conditions were perfect, overcast, not too warm slight breeze. Usual set up, running block end feeder rig with hemp and mixed pellet plugged with groundbait to a 2ft hooklength with an 8mm dynamite garlic pellet on the hair 1889619F-42DE-4590-8FA0-F755F653E2BB.jpeg
Dropped into @tincatim’s favourite swim, first cast straight under the tree, perfect! Loads of rattles and pulls for about 5-10 mins. Catapulted a bit of hemp and pellet and as soon as I put the pult down the tip whipped round!
Onto the rod and the drag screamed out a bit, tightened the drag up and bent the hell out of the rod to pull whatever this was from under the trees. Got the fish away and saw it roll just under the surface, it was a barbel! Determined not to cock it up I was in full concentration mode and just as I thought I was on top, it made another surging run under the trees, this time ditching the hook on a snag to the far right of them. Gutted didn’t cut it. I’ve also never understood how fish can drop the hook onto a snag. I stayed another half an hour but couldn’t entice anything more than a few pulls and rattles.
16913A25-0FCB-4621-BD2B-92ECD28B00BD.jpeg Moved a bit further upstream to the deep pool peg. Cast 3 feeder loads in before I even put a hookbait on and aimed for a near side slack just outside the main flow. Few bangs from about 5 casts but nothing solid. So moved on again.
D3A760C6-2FCE-4BA0-AF28-EB8E13FDB4B7.jpeg Onto my favourite swim on the river, first time I’ve fished it since the tree fell in. Again another 3 feeder loads to the left of the main flow in the slack. Nothing more than rattles from 4 casts.
So another blank. The loss of the barbel was gutting to say the least but now I’ve had one it had bumped my confidence up a bit to know what I was doing was working to a certain extent. There was one other angler last night who’d had 2 barbel above the weir so that my be my starting point next trip.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Hadn’t been down for a few weeks so popped down about 4 o’clock till 8ish. Conditions were perfect, overcast, not too warm slight breeze. Usual set up, running block end feeder rig with hemp and mixed pellet plugged with groundbait to a 2ft hooklength with an 8mm dynamite garlic pellet on the hair 1889619F-42DE-4590-8FA0-F755F653E2BB.jpeg
Dropped into @tincatim’s favourite swim, first cast straight under the tree, perfect! Loads of rattles and pulls for about 5-10 mins. Catapulted a bit of hemp and pellet and as soon as I put the pult down the tip whipped round!
Onto the rod and the drag screamed out a bit, tightened the drag up and bent the hell out of the rod to pull whatever this was from under the trees. Got the fish away and saw it roll just under the surface, it was a barbel! Determined not to cock it up I was in full concentration mode and just as I thought I was on top, it made another surging run under the trees, this time ditching the hook on a snag to the far right of them. Gutted didn’t cut it. I’ve also never understood how fish can drop the hook onto a snag. I stayed another half an hour but couldn’t entice anything more than a few pulls and rattles.
16913A25-0FCB-4621-BD2B-92ECD28B00BD.jpeg Moved a bit further upstream to the deep pool peg. Cast 3 feeder loads in before I even put a hookbait on and aimed for a near side slack just outside the main flow. Few bangs from about 5 casts but nothing solid. So moved on again.
D3A760C6-2FCE-4BA0-AF28-EB8E13FDB4B7.jpeg Onto my favourite swim on the river, first time I’ve fished it since the tree fell in. Again another 3 feeder loads to the left of the main flow in the slack. Nothing more than rattles from 4 casts.
So another blank. The loss of the barbel was gutting to say the least but now I’ve had one it had bumped my confidence up a bit to know what I was doing was working to a certain extent. There was one other angler last night who’d had 2 barbel above the weir so that my be my starting point next trip.
It’s bad luck mate but like you say, you’ve had one on now so know you can catch them. Interesting to hear they’ve been caught above the weir, I tried up that way last time and blanked. It’s very slow moving, not your typical barbel swims.

Its worth sticking with that first swim, it’s about as reliable as you can get for a barbel take down there. Losing one does disrupt the swim but I’ve found they do come back to the feed eventually.

AdamRussell93

It was the first bite I’ve actually had in that swim, I never usually do well there but felt a bit more confident yesterday!

AdamRussell93

It’s bad luck mate but like you say, you’ve had one on now so know you can catch them. Interesting to hear they’ve been caught above the weir, I tried up that way last time and blanked. It’s very slow moving, not your typical barbel swims.

Its worth sticking with that first swim, it’s about as reliable as you can get for a barbel take down there. Losing one does disrupt the swim but I’ve found they do come back to the feed eventually.
Also said it was about 50yds upstream of the weir so that may be worth a look around, maybe a gravel run or a snaggy area

tincatim

Site Supporter
Also said it was about 50yds upstream of the weir so that may be worth a look around, maybe a gravel run or a snaggy area
There’s a few nice looking spots above the road bridge, lots of streamer weed and overhanging trees and bushes.

AdamRussell93

It’s going to happen this year, you WILL get your first barbel.
I have genuinely enjoyed this past year chasing them, before last year I’d fished rivers maybe 5 times. But I’ve learned so much and caught a few nice fish in doing so, and for some reason it feels more satisfying