River Dearne Sessions 2021.

tincatim

Site Supporter
That’s a cracking bream, definitely not a fish to be sniffed at. Sometimes you have days like that, I’ve had plenty of blanks in the past, just makes you more determined to catch next time. Seeing the barbel roll though gives some hope, keep fishing the same spot and they’ll turn up eventually.

AdamRussell93

That’s a cracking bream, definitely not a fish to be sniffed at. Sometimes you have days like that, I’ve had plenty of blanks in the past, just makes you more determined to catch next time. Seeing the barbel roll though gives some hope, keep fishing the same spot and they’ll turn up eventually.
Definitely. I’ve blanked numerous times on here but currently on 4 sessions, 5 fish, and given I aim for at least a fish a session, I’m pretty satisfied so far this season.

AdamRussell93

Tricky session last night. River was up around 2ft and had a serious tow on her. Also was ridiculously busy so I’m guessing something decent came out and someone said something on social media, I don’t know but all my favourite pegs, even the ones I’ve never seen people fish before.
So I headed further downstream than in previous sessions this season. I haven’t fished below mill lane bridge so far this season but I know from last season it tends to be slower and deeper with more sunken trees, and with all the rubbish flowing downstream I thought I’ll find a nice peg with a slack and some cover surely. And did I. CB6B5136-626D-4F1B-A357-413234EE855A.jpeg
So to the left you can see the tree. There’s a lovely deep channel that flows underneath there just inside a crease. And further past the tree there’s a large raft of debris, my thinking was drop the feeder just before the tree and using a longer than usual hooklength, try and draw the fish up from the raft. Usual feeder tactic, mixture of pellet sizes and hemp, spicy groundbait.

First cast I had a huge pull round. Almost pulled the rod off of the rest. My heart was pounding at this point, but then realised I could’ve just spooked my target. Tried to forget about it but couldn’t.
A constant flurry of plucks and pulls followed, just as my 15 minute timer rang, I lifted the rod up to find a fish attached. A smallish bream. 905CAB09-9280-4B85-8DA0-CCB0986D2560.jpeg Not big at all. But a blank saver nonetheless. Two casts, nothing but plucks. Changed hookbait from spicy sausage hookbait to my favoured dynamite 12mm leakage hookers, lo and behold 3 mins in to my ‘last cast’ had a clonker of a bite. Now this was giving a good scrap, head shaking, heading for snags, I though it was a tench at first. 20F09338-C14B-4D0C-AEA3-05F5E0AD5118.jpeg
Another decent bream, good scrap for what normally come in like a wet sack. I’m considering targeting bream, I might catch what I’m after then! Coming back down Thursday night, hopefully the lads who think they’re fishing Trent with rod pods and 3 rods at a time don’t aswell.

tincatim

Site Supporter
That’s a decent bream, Adam. I’ve only just noticed your report. I’ve just come back from a short after-work session. I know I said I’d leave it alone for a while, but the weather’s good and I had some free time so I’d be a fool to turn it down.

I packed my laptop away at 4:15, and was making my first cast at 4:40. First swim was the one I caught barbel from last week, and it didn’t disappoint. I had a chub of around 2lb on the first cast. The second cast nothing, not even a knock which I thought was strange. It was only when I reeled in that I found out my hook was caught on an overhanging branch 🤦🏻‍♂️I’d seen the lead drop in and assumed the hook bait had followed it. So that was 25 mins wasted fishing for sparrows.

The rest must have done the swim some good, I was talking to a passer by when all of a sudden the rod ripped round and I was into a barbel. It gave it everything it had but my 8lb hooklength held firm and I landed a stunning fish of 7lb 12oz. 2AA15EFA-7A1A-440F-AA01-BE9E9E55CA8B.jpeg

Well happy with that! The fight killed the swim so I went and tried another couple of spots further up towards the weir. The last one producing another chub of about 2lb.

There were quite a lot of people around tonight. Maybe 5 or so anglers and loads of dog walkers, runners and cyclists.

AdamRussell93

Another beauty there mate! Hoping to get down tomorrow for a few casts, the peg you fished was the one I had my heart set on and lo and behold, it was full

tincatim

Site Supporter
Another beauty there mate! Hoping to get down tomorrow for a few casts, the peg you fished was the one I had my heart set on and lo and behold, it was full
There’s nothing worse than when you've got a plan in mind and someone’s beaten you to it. Hopefully you get a barbel tomorrow then. They definitely seem to be on the feed now.

AdamRussell93

The one next to it, about 100 yd upstream with a tree in the water is where I saw the barbel roll. Has a lovely looking crease in it!

tincatim

Site Supporter
Another short session on the Dearne tonight, I love the fact I can be there in five minutes and fishing in ten. Fancied trotting maggots today for some roach, dace, perch and maybe a chub if I’m lucky. Nipped out for a pint of reds earlier this afternoon, no reds in so ended up with whites instead. I pulled up in the Adwick car park at 5pm, carrying nothing more than my ready made rod bag, landing net and a collapsible groundbait bowl with some terminal tackle in.

Fancying a change, I headed upstream of the road bridge and dropped into a few new swims. I’ve never been up here before and there are a couple of nice spots to run a float through. Although the best swims are directly under the power lines, rendering them too dangerous to fish. I bet that’s where all the fish are!

Anyway, keeping it simple I had my 15ft float rod with 4lb maxima mainline, a 4 no4 Drennan stick float, to 3lb maxima hooklength to size 18 B911 F1. A couple of no4 shot under the float with no8’s spread out below.
The first swim was around 5ft deep, and the first 5 or so trots through resulted in nothing.
6F952FB3-1DF6-4CE5-9556-ADFBA1D81B42.jpeg
I kept trickling in the maggots though and soon after the fish turned up. A few small roach then lost a decent Rudd to a hook pull. It went quiet, but the constant feeding brought them back, and I had maybe 10 roach and perch, before moving on. 4813DBF1-05FB-49F5-ACC7-4131ACC7A4E2.jpeg

I dropped into two more spots up that end of the river but was struggling to hit bites, maggots coming back smashed but little getting hooked. So I took a long walk back downstream to where I usually fish.

The peaceful surroundings of the first swim were a far cry from what I found downstream. The hot weather always brings the dick heads out, doesn’t it?
Some of the delights included; a family of four swimming in the weir pool, two idiots on quad bikes riding them across the river and up the river, and the most infuriating thing was seeing this….
0DF5D93B-EB8F-4333-894B-486615380D20.jpeg
Huge areas of grass that’s been set alight! 🤬🤬🤬 I really don’t know what’s wrong with people, this area is one of the most beautiful little rivers, yet people treat it like s**t. It’s a disgrace really.

I took myself past the circus and found a quiet spot to spend the last hour. The stamp of roach was better here, and I was getting bites every single run through. A really enjoyable way to unwind after a boring day working from home. 18CB14AE-99C1-444B-8436-865484BF0568.jpeg
I didn’t take many photos of the roach, dace or chublets, too much slime on my hands for that. Really wish I’d thought to bring a towel!

I reckon I’d had around 30 or so silvers, so last cast I put three maggots on the size 18 and threw two big handfuls of maggots in. You never know, a chunky chub or big roach might just take them! That was the plan, but as we all know the best laid plans don’t always materialise. As the float neared the end of its run, it dipped and I struck… into something bigger than a roach, it shot toward the trees on the far bank, putting a healthy bend in the rod. I had to apply a lot of pressure to keep it from snagging me up, I dipped the rod under water and managed to get it out into the main flow. It felt like a chub, but then it charged upstream with some right power… chub don’t do that. This was a barbel. I’ve never caught a barbel on the float, so this was a first. And with 3lb bottom and a size 18 B911 F1, I wasn’t confident of landing it. I was also conscious of the recent discussions on not fishing for barbel in a heat wave, so I wanted to get it in without playing it to exhaustion. Which I did, thankfully. I rested it in the net before unhooking, a quick photo then back in the net until it was telling me it wanted to go.
No scales today, but I estimated it around 6lb. Then I called it a day. F17FF71D-907A-4D75-9846-DC60255B0383.jpeg

So, I don’t know if I can now call myself the Dearne barbel master, or if I’m just very lucky. Either way, I’m loving this little river, I just wish it didn’t attract so many stupid people 🙂

AdamRussell93

You’re catching barbel without trying now! Mastered it. I know what you’re saying about the dickheads though. Had a walk down Friday night because I’m not too fond of fishing in these temperatures and there was a group of at least 14-15 camping on the pebble beach peg, two rods out. BBQ. Tent and the usual 8-9 kids running riot screaming. Wait till it’s overcast and a bit cooler, there’s no one there it’s bliss!

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
There all out in force at the moment, popped to my local river to see if the farmer had cut his hay, we are not allowed to fish that stretch untill he does so, had to pass a millpond signs up everywhere no boats, bbq, picnicking, swimming, the only people that have access to the river is the land owner and the fishing club, it is a footpath so access cannot be denied, but it's only a footpath the rest is private land. Must of been 10 kids swimming and 3 separate familys having a picnic flattening the grass. No respect for the farmers hay, wonder if they would mind if 10 of mates had a party in there garden.

tincatim

Site Supporter
It’s always the same in the summer, the correlation between increase in temperature and idiot behaviour, aligns perfectly.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t mind fishing in the rain.

tincatim

Site Supporter
You’re catching barbel without trying now! Mastered it. I know what you’re saying about the dickheads though. Had a walk down Friday night because I’m not too fond of fishing in these temperatures and there was a group of at least 14-15 camping on the pebble beach peg, two rods out. BBQ. Tent and the usual 8-9 kids running riot screaming. Wait till it’s overcast and a bit cooler, there’s no one there it’s bliss!
Autumn should be perfect for some peaceful fishing down there. I even saw one family (with little kids) taking a massive inflatable lilo down there. What kind of person floats their 6 year old kid off down river like that!

AdamRussell93

I've loved reading the Dearne write ups.
When I lived in South Yorkshire some four decades ago the river was little more than an open sewer.
I love the place now. Kingfishers. Thriving fish stocks. During me evening sessions, there’s always a barn owl but I can never get a picture. From the images people are painting from what it used to be, sounds worlds away.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I love the place now. Kingfishers. Thriving fish stocks. During me evening sessions, there’s always a barn owl but I can never get a picture. From the images people are painting from what it used to be, sounds worlds away.
I’ve seen the barn owl, usually in the mornings or late at night walking. It’s hard to believe the stories of pollution isn’t it, I hear them all the time from people round here. It’s recovered big time, hopefully if stays that way.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Managed a couple of hours this morning, but for a change I went four or so miles upstream to Broomhill. The water level was quite low but there’s a few decent looking spots to fish. I spent an hour or so in this swim… 61C1A562-20AE-4C85-AE55-27E854603A4E.jpeg
Usual tactics, and save for one bite that I missed, there was no indication of fish. Ready for a coffee I jumped by back in the car and stopped at Greggs, with the aim of dropping in at Bolton to fish the peg under the bridge.
DBC5EEC3-D455-44FC-A1B3-8DF580391257.jpeg
The river’s quite low here too, exposing what looks like a very old car, possibly a mini. It looks like it’s been in there years, and presents a formidable snag should you hook something big.

In fact that’s where I’m sat right now, I’ve had two casts and a phone call from my Daughter who needs a lift to the doctors at 12.00. Cutting short my plans for the day 😕 so unless the rod wraps round in the next ten minutes, I’ve just achieved my first blank of the season. Never mind, new stretches always take a bit of working out.

AdamRussell93

Never fished any other stretches other than pastures to adwick, but have made a promise to myself to try others. Darfield is supposed to be decent 👍🏻