River Dearne Sessions 2021.

tincatim

Site Supporter
As suggested by @AdamRussell93, it makes sense to have a River Dearne thread where we can report back on our sessions on the river. (@mods I don’t know whether you can merge the other Dearne threads from this year?)

Anyway, on to today’s session, which contained a surprise.

I was on the bank early this morning, first cast around 7.15. No float rod today, just my trusty JW Avon quiver, landing net, rod rest and bag with bait and tackle. I got some pva mesh in the week, along with some Sonu Spicy Sausage pellets in 6 and 8mm. Plan of attack was to rove from Harlington down to Pastures Road, fishing straight lead with a hair rigged 8mm pellet. Feed (2,6,8mm pellets) was all introduced via the pva mesh bags, attached to the lead clip.

It was a much slower start today, no first cast chub. I tried 3 different spots before the tip finally went round and a 4lb bream came to the net.
9B41A114-A19D-455E-88A4-6F23237A70B3.jpeg

Another cast in the same spot just produced little plucks and rattles. So I moved on. The next swim produced a chub of about 2lb, I’m always happy catching chub, no matter what the size.
B3CEAF78-B2AD-4B49-82A9-3DEC54C8CD86.jpeg

That was it from that swim, so on the move again. A couple more different swims, more taps and rattles. I had one on for a short while, but it slipped the hook.

The next swim was a bit of a Bear Grylls jungle expedition. I chopped my way through the nettles and found this lovely sight. 4E15986A-FCE4-4232-B2D9-5A67520C32A2.jpeg

On with the pva bag full of mixed pellets, and I waited, and waited, and… you get the gist. Finally a big rattle and I lift into what feels like a bream. It wasn’t a bream, in fact I’m not 100% confident what it is, but it looks like an Ide to me. The pectoral fin is concave, and it fought like a bream rather than a chub, so I’m saying Ide, unless anyone can tell me different? Either way, it weighed 3lb and looks a nice fish. 24875A45-E8DD-4F70-8438-A836FC452926.jpeg

That was the only fish from that spot.

I had to leave by 4.30 at the latest to pick my son up. So with half an hour left I decided to drop in to a swim not far from where I’d parked, for one last cast. I’d shortened my hooklength from 3ft to 2ft to see if it made a difference to the taps and rattles. I also shortened the length of the hair, I was sure the plucks were chub picking the bait up and dropping it.

Last pva bag on and an underarm cast, set a timer for 15 minutes, and waited. The rod hooped over and I lifted into what felt like a chub. Unfortunately it came off leaving a big silver scale on the hook, must have foul hooked it.

As everyone single one of you knows, one last cast is never the last cast. So I baited back up and flicked the rig out one last time. 5 mins left on the timer, praying for one last fish, when all of a sudden the rod went over and I was in again. This felt more powerful than a chub, and when I saw it flash just under the surface, my suspicion was proved right. It was indeed the fish I’d come for, a barbel! It fought hard but I soon had it in the net. Wasn’t a monster, but at 6.5lb and the first one I’ve caught since 2015, it was very welcome.
E56AAADF-9A9D-4C5C-8E9D-0A31C6C8B514.jpeg

That really was my last cast. I can’t wait for the next one now.

(I didn’t intend to write so much so apologies for the lengthy post)

TLDR went fishing, caught some fish.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Nice write up mate, and well done on the barbel 👍 not a bad way to end a session!

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Yes, it’s definitely an Ide, quite a surprise to find one so I wasn’t sure initially. It’s probably escaped during the floods.

Probably come up from the Don. There's plenty of Ide in there - I've even had them from the Dun Navigation. Lovely fish.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Bream, Chub, Ide and a pretty decent Barbel if I do say so! Presuming it's quite a small river, I'd say that's a very decent mixed bag! (y)

tincatim

Site Supporter
Bream, Chub, Ide and a pretty decent Barbel if I do say so! Presuming it's quite a small river, I'd say that's a very decent mixed bag! (y)
Cheers, I’m still pretty pleased with the day. It’s quite a small river, but there’s some decent fish in it. I think the barbel record is over 16lb, and there’s chub over 5lb present along with some 20lb carp.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers, I’m still pretty pleased with the day. It’s quite a small river, but there’s some decent fish in it. I think the barbel record is over 16lb, and there’s chub over 5lb present along with some 20lb carp.
I look forward to reading the reports from there!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It’s not all record breaking fish though, I’ve had many, many blanks before now. But just knowing they’re there keeps ya going back.
I think that's the way with river fishing, especially on small rivers for various reasons, tight lines though, the blanks make the catches even more memorable hopefully.

AdamRussell93

As suggested by @AdamRussell93, it makes sense to have a River Dearne thread where we can report back on our sessions on the river. (@mods I don’t know whether you can merge the other Dearne threads from this year?)

Anyway, on to today’s session, which contained a surprise.

I was on the bank early this morning, first cast around 7.15. No float rod today, just my trusty JW Avon quiver, landing net, rod rest and bag with bait and tackle. I got some pva mesh in the week, along with some Sonu Spicy Sausage pellets in 6 and 8mm. Plan of attack was to rove from Harlington down to Pastures Road, fishing straight lead with a hair rigged 8mm pellet. Feed (2,6,8mm pellets) was all introduced via the pva mesh bags, attached to the lead clip.

It was a much slower start today, no first cast chub. I tried 3 different spots before the tip finally went round and a 4lb bream came to the net.
9B41A114-A19D-455E-88A4-6F23237A70B3.jpeg

Another cast in the same spot just produced little plucks and rattles. So I moved on. The next swim produced a chub of about 2lb, I’m always happy catching chub, no matter what the size.
B3CEAF78-B2AD-4B49-82A9-3DEC54C8CD86.jpeg

That was it from that swim, so on the move again. A couple more different swims, more taps and rattles. I had one on for a short while, but it slipped the hook.

The next swim was a bit of a Bear Grylls jungle expedition. I chopped my way through the nettles and found this lovely sight. 4E15986A-FCE4-4232-B2D9-5A67520C32A2.jpeg

On with the pva bag full of mixed pellets, and I waited, and waited, and… you get the gist. Finally a big rattle and I lift into what feels like a bream. It wasn’t a bream, in fact I’m not 100% confident what it is, but it looks like an Ide to me. The pectoral fin is concave, and it fought like a bream rather than a chub, so I’m saying Ide, unless anyone can tell me different? Either way, it weighed 3lb and looks a nice fish. 24875A45-E8DD-4F70-8438-A836FC452926.jpeg

That was the only fish from that spot.

I had to leave by 4.30 at the latest to pick my son up. So with half an hour left I decided to drop in to a swim not far from where I’d parked, for one last cast. I’d shortened my hooklength from 3ft to 2ft to see if it made a difference to the taps and rattles. I also shortened the length of the hair, I was sure the plucks were chub picking the bait up and dropping it.

Last pva bag on and an underarm cast, set a timer for 15 minutes, and waited. The rod hooped over and I lifted into what felt like a chub. Unfortunately it came off leaving a big silver scale on the hook, must have foul hooked it.

As everyone single one of you knows, one last cast is never the last cast. So I baited back up and flicked the rig out one last time. 5 mins left on the timer, praying for one last fish, when all of a sudden the rod went over and I was in again. This felt more powerful than a chub, and when I saw it flash just under the surface, my suspicion was proved right. It was indeed the fish I’d come for, a barbel! It fought hard but I soon had it in the net. Wasn’t a monster, but at 6.5lb and the first one I’ve caught since 2015, it was very welcome.
E56AAADF-9A9D-4C5C-8E9D-0A31C6C8B514.jpeg

That really was my last cast. I can’t wait for the next one now.

(I didn’t intend to write so much so apologies for the lengthy post)

TLDR went fishing, caught some fish.
Told you you’d get one first 😉

AdamRussell93

Managed to get down Friday night for a couple of hours. Standard set up, running feeder rig, to 2ft 9lb fluoro hooklength. In the feeder was a mixture of dynamite 3mm halibut pellets, micro 3FT squid and garlic pellets, hemp and the groundbait was 3FT black spice. Never used the groundbait before but I’ll definitely use it again. Really strong smell and binds together really well. On the hair was a 12mm dynamite soft hooker halibut pellet. I’ve found these ooze off their flavour really well. Anyway. Onto the fishing. BAB3C424-E7B5-4184-A779-B3B538907509.jpeg
This was the first peg I tried. It’s a small gravelly area with quick flowing water but if you can see the Reed bed on the left the water slackens off a bit, so that was my first port of call. First cast, I managed to find the overhanging tree. Now. My first instinct was ‘it’s going to be one of those days’. Managed to get the feeder free but lost the hooklength. Tied another up and finally got fishing. Second attempt, I couldn’t have walked out and dropped it to a better area. Tap, tap, tap, the rod tip bounced round. My first chub of the season. A nice fish. Probably pushing 3lb if not a tad over. 28DB6083-D63A-4D83-A3EE-32A87339A21F.jpeg I tried two more casts there and got nothing more than taps. So I uprooted and headed downstream towards mill lane bridge. Usually quiet down the Dearne at this time but there was a group of about twenty lads ‘fishing’ with 2 rods between em. You know the type, screaming, shouting, cans all over and a strong smell of ‘herbal medicine’. So I headed a fair way past them. I saw some faster flowing water so I headed down the bank to get a better look. Saw it was very gravelly and found a peg where the water was deeper under a overhanging tree. 158A94F3-370E-43A6-B065-21AC7B31872D.jpeg Underarm chuck with the feeder as close as I dare to the tree, I had a bite first cast. Unfortunately the hook pulled. I know these things happen but that doesn’t make them any less gutting. So in went another feeders worth of bait. No sooner had I tightened up the tip hooped over. Is this the barbel I’ve been chasing for all these months? F3EC303A-68D2-4D01-8955-7285CC7E823B.jpeg
No. But one hell of a chub. Bigger than the first one and put up a brilliant fight. These pictures don’t do this fish justice at all. But the Dearne is that small most of the pegs worth fishing aren’t a social fishing experience. I love catching chub but the main aim is that barbel.

I fish for a bite on the Dearne. I’m still getting to grips with river fishing and watercraft so to get two fish in two hours is a massive confidence boost for me. And now I’m only two mins by car away, fair to say I’ll be posting on this thread a lot more!

tincatim

Site Supporter
Nice one Adam! Two cracking chub, especially that second one. A very good result for just two hours fishing.

I know what you mean about the other lads fishing, it does tend to attract plenty of undesirables down there. You can tell when they’ve been there just looking at the rubbish left behind. I dread to think how they treat any fish they catch.

AdamRussell93

Nice one Adam! Two cracking chub, especially that second one. A very good result for just two hours fishing.

I know what you mean about the other lads fishing, it does tend to attract plenty of undesirables down there. You can tell when they’ve been there just looking at the rubbish left behind. I dread to think how they treat any fish they catch.
I was expecting it to be barren but there was a load of kids swimming and drinking at the salmon run where I was the other week and then a load of lads where I mentioned earlier. The only downside of Dearne is the fact that there are big fish in it and everyone knows.