River Dearne Sessions 2021.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
It really is mate, I’m gutted about it. There’s an EA notice up with an email, I keep considering making a complaint about it but I suspect it would fall on deaf ears. I have sent an email to Bob Roberts though, he might have more of a platform to make a difference.

Trying to be positive and imagine that the trees will grow back a bit in the spring, but it won’t be the same 😔
Felt exactly the same when that happened on the Nidd at Green Hammerton in the early 80s, not only did they demolish the over-hanging willows they straightened the bloody river.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Any chance of getting a photo of the notice Tim? Be interesting to see what it says.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Any chance of getting a photo of the notice Tim? Be interesting to see what it says.
Sure, it’s pretty much as you said it would be… ‘flood prevention’ 🙄
372DBCDF-3BCB-4F95-AF4F-035FF3B03DB5.jpeg

AdamRussell93

I fail to see how the trees in the gravel swim restricted the flow. Fair enough the tree that actually fell in as you showed in one picture earlier in the thread but the majority of that area was clear bar 3 trees barely in the water.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I fail to see how the trees in the gravel swim restricted the flow. Fair enough the tree that actually fell in as you showed in one picture earlier in the thread but the majority of that area was clear bar 3 trees barely in the water.
It doesn’t make any sense. I can’t even see what the flood risk is down there, some farmers fields are about all that would see any floodwater. I moved up here in 2008 so missed the major flooding, but I can’t see how removing some trees would prevent that.

AdamRussell93

I remember it did flood the pastures lodge and housing estates pretty badly, along with the businesses. But I don’t see how removing a few trees will prevent flooding.

Griffo

Site Supporter
I’m going back 2007 if I remember correctly
It happened again just before Covid in 2019 October November, at the junction to Cadby at Denaby Ings it was 7ft deep from the road, totally agree don't see how cutting out these trees would stop to such an issue again?

AdamRussell93

It happened again just before Covid in 2019 October November, at the junction to Cadby at Denaby Ings it was 7ft deep from the road, totally agree don't see how cutting out these trees would stop to such an issue again?
I don’t remember that at all 🤦🏻‍♂️ The thing is, where the nature reserve is near the pastures you’ve got high melton hill, and Cadeby road. Both are steep slopes and obviously significant rainfall is going to run down towards that area. Next they’ll be trying to flatten the valley.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Been speaking to a chap on BFW who’s collating examples of EA destruction on our rivers, sent him some photos and explained what’s gone on. He’s creating some kind of dossier to challenge their actions. Not sure how far he’ll get but it’s nice to see someone doing something.

He sent me this picture of the floods from November 2019, didn’t realise it was that bad at the time. But the point still stands, how will removing some trees stop that from happening?!
C0F31806-9045-4DB7-9048-F6AB04A3136E.png

Griffo

Site Supporter
I don’t remember that at all 🤦🏻‍♂️ The thing is, where the nature reserve is near the pastures you’ve got high melton hill, and Cadeby road. Both are steep slopes and obviously significant rainfall is going to run down towards that area. Next they’ll be trying to flatten the valley.
3B8E7B98-19D9-4703-A337-397602DEC2D2.jpeg
Junction of Cadby road as it joins the high Melton road next to the old Dearne Nov 19. That’s a ranger over that thought it could float!

AdamRussell93

Been speaking to a chap on BFW who’s collating examples of EA destruction on our rivers, sent him some photos and explained what’s gone on. He’s creating some kind of dossier to challenge their actions. Not sure how far he’ll get but it’s nice to see someone doing something.

He sent me this picture of the floods from November 2019, didn’t realise it was that bad at the time. But the point still stands, how will removing some trees stop that from happening?!
C0F31806-9045-4DB7-9048-F6AB04A3136E.png
Tim is that adwick bridge?

AdamRussell93

I thought it was but wasn’t sure. Didn’t realise how much of the area actually flooded.

Ah well, it’s all a thing of the past now they’ve removed those trees! 👍🏻👍🏻

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Living a stones throw from Fishlake I’m all too aware of the problems that flooding brings but, to rape a river of its bank-side trees and vegetation seems all wrong to me. In flood theses trees help to slow flood water down slightly. The river Don from Sheffield to us in Fishlake doesn’t have a great deal of bank-side cover and consequently the floodwater hit us with tremendous force. As some of you may have seen on the news. 😡. The EA in part do a good job but, a lot of the groundworking jobs are subcontracted out and these companies aren’t bothered in the slightest. They want the job done as fast as possible leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. The EA don’t seem too bothered either as they just want the job done so they get their funding. 😡. I think we should strip the EA of its title. Especially the ‘ Environmental ‘ bit.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

Don’t remind me Mark. 😩. You’ve got to feel for the poor folk of Fishlake haven’t ya ? Fortunately for me I live a mile up the road and although our stables and paddock was under a foot of water at times our house didn’t get any water in it. A bit scary at times as you watched the water coming across the farmers field at the back of our home but, in the end we were very fortunate. Very fortunate indeed.

Total

Site Supporter
Don’t remind me Mark. 😩. You’ve got to feel for the poor folk of Fishlake haven’t ya ? Fortunately for me I live a mile up the road and although our stables and paddock was under a foot of water at times our house didn’t get any water in it. A bit scary at times as you watched the water coming across the farmers field at the back of our home but, in the end we were very fortunate. Very fortunate indeed.
Building on floodplains will always bite the locals on the bum sooner or later...:(....And as for the EA, another oxygen stealing disaster of a department....:(

Over 20 years ago they did some bank work on my beloved River Kennet at Padworth....'Environmental rape' it was reported as at the time....Being simple Londoners we gave it a shorter apt description....To this day over 20 years later the river there has never recovered....Tossers....:(

Last edited: