River Dearne Sessions 2021.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I’m planning on having a look at the Dearne this weekend, I’m from Rotherham and haven’t fished it once.
It’s a great little river, not the easiest to master but the rewards are there if you put the time in. Do you ever fish the Rother? I’ve tried it once, it’s similar to Dearne, or at least it appears to be.

John Dory

Account Locked
It’s a great little river, not the easiest to master but the rewards are there if you put the time in. Do you ever fish the Rother? I’ve tried it once, it’s similar to Dearne, or at least it appears to be.
I‘ve fished the Rother a few times and found a roving approach to be the best tactic what with it being such a small river. It looks like my Dearne recci is going to be put off for another day, it’s a grim morning here in South Yorkshire.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I‘ve fished the Rother a few times and found a roving approach to be the best tactic what with it being such a small river. It looks like my Dearne recci is going to be put off for another day, it’s a grim morning here in South Yorkshire.
If you get up to the Darfield stretch let me know I can meet you by the Thaal Indian restaurant. Good parking there.

John Dory

Account Locked
Thank you Geoff. I was planning on parking at Denaby Ings reserve and having a walk up towards Bolton.

AdamRussell93

I’m hoping to finish early Friday so might pop down for a few hours before time to pick kids up from school. Got plenty of smelly bait and paste options.

FishermanFarlow

Me and my brother are planning on trying to dearne for the first time ever this weekend, not much experience with river fishing but wanting to get my first barbel. Located near worsbrough was wondering if anyone could offer any advice?

tincatim

Site Supporter
Me and my brother are planning on trying to dearne for the first time ever this weekend, not much experience with river fishing but wanting to get my first barbel. Located near worsbrough was wondering if anyone could offer any advice?
To be fair there’s as much info as you can find online contained within this thread. I can’t give you any specific locations but there have been barbel caught from Darfield down to Pastures. Where they go in the cold weather is a mystery though, I’ve not found them in the usual places from the summer. I’m going down on Saturday, will probably fish for the chub though now it’s colder. Bread works a treat. If you’re intent on barbel fishing then I’d opt for a smelly bait, paste wrapped boilie or pellet, or a good chunk of luncheon meat. Look for features like overhanging trees, deeper holes or if the river is still high, search out the slack water. Keep mobile and try a few different likely looking swims and you might just drop on some luck.

FishermanFarlow

To be fair there’s as much info as you can find online contained within this thread. I can’t give you any specific locations but there have been barbel caught from Darfield down to Pastures. Where they go in the cold weather is a mystery though, I’ve not found them in the usual places from the summer. I’m going down on Saturday, will probably fish for the chub though now it’s colder. Bread works a treat. If you’re intent on barbel fishing then I’d opt for a smelly bait, paste wrapped boilie or pellet, or a good chunk of luncheon meat. Look for features like overhanging trees, deeper holes or if the river is still high, search out the slack water. Keep mobile and try a few different likely looking swims and you might just drop on some luck.
Thank you, really appreciate the help

tincatim

Site Supporter
Been for a few hours this morning. Covered a lot of ground from Adwick car park all the way down to Pastures road bridge and back up. Started off fishing meat with 2mm pellets as feed, not loads but enough to hopefully attract some fish. A couple of casts in an hour without a bite, I swapped to the float rod and breadflake. I had my first chub from the ‘whistling pipes’ peg below the bridge, the same place I ended up looking like a swamp monster last week. Tim 1-1 Chub.
2FD7970E-F882-4B3C-A5C6-65D010A5AB3E.jpeg

There’s some great looking swims as you get further down the river. Some real snag pits too! I lost a chub to some underwater branches, and soon after lost my float and rig to some more submerged snaggery.

Before that happened I’d landed a chub of about 3lb, a nicely coloured one from an interesting swim.

F278D333-AEF3-4ECA-A5BD-C058500BBBF8.jpeg

Being a bit lazy I couldn’t be bothered to set the float rod back up again. So I spent the rest of the time legering bread flake in some likely looking spots. Sadly that was it for the day. I should have continued with the float.

A worthwhile trip though. I’ve found some new spots and some areas with gravel patches that look prime for barbel.

AdamRussell93

Good couple of fish there mate again! Keep saying I’m going to go down but my early finish Friday never materialised and opportunity is few and far between at the moment. Keep at it pal!

tincatim

Site Supporter
Good couple of fish there mate again! Keep saying I’m going to go down but my early finish Friday never materialised and opportunity is few and far between at the moment. Keep at it pal!
I did wonder if you’d been. I know what it’s like though mate when it’s hard to find the time. It’s why I stopped for five years recently. There’s some decent looking swims down towards pastures, but that’s the problem with this river. It all looks great but not all swims hold fish.

AdamRussell93

There’s a few I know hold fish in the warmer months down that way but like you say, winters a different ball game. Keep thinking to try the outflow pools with some lobworm see what turns up

tincatim

Site Supporter
There’s a few I know hold fish in the warmer months down that way but like you say, winters a different ball game. Keep thinking to try the outflow pools with some lobworm see what turns up
There was a Polish lad spinning for pike by the big outflow near pastures yesterday. He’d not had any takes but he did mention that he’d had some big carp near the bridge and lost a rod to something powerful there too.

AdamRussell93

There was a Polish lad spinning for pike by the big outflow near pastures yesterday. He’d not had any takes but he did mention that he’d had some big carp near the bridge and lost a rod to something powerful there too.
Funny you mention him! He’s told me same story about the rod, surely a big barbel. A lad I work with said he’d had a 15 but the picture wasn’t the best.

FishermanFarlow

Went down last weekend on the broomhill stretch, first time fishing the dearne. It was a very cold and windy day, we were aiming for either barbel, dace or possibly for perch but unfortunately didn't end up with any of these.

However to our surprise on worm we ended up pulling out 6 brown trout, it wasn't what we aimed for be it was a welcome sight nonetheless.

254936878_296481559000229_7335211157698705426_n (1).jpg

tincatim

Site Supporter
A short three hour session this morning resulted in a small chub and a 3 or 4lb bream that slipped the hook at the net. Tried the maggot feeder today, a 1.5oz Drennan flatbed feeder, free running with a 2ft, 8lb hooklength and a size 12 Guru MWG. I switched between 2 and 6 maggots on the hook, always tipped with a fake maggot, and for a while with two fake maggots on a hair.

Loads of taps and rattles from the smaller fish, but the hope of barbel turning up to investigate remained just that, a hope.

The bream came in the first 30mins, the chub after moving swims. I packed up when I cast my feeder into a tree and pulled for a break, losing the feeder and everything else in the process ☹️

Ah well, it’s was nice to get out and breathe some fresh air, and I didn’t blank so 🥳

Swim pic
E0A4898E-44A9-49BE-BC2D-1A5D2AC239A2.jpeg

Total

Site Supporter
A short three hour session this morning resulted in a small chub and a 3 or 4lb bream that slipped the hook at the net. Tried the maggot feeder today, a 1.5oz Drennan flatbed feeder, free running with a 2ft, 8lb hooklength and a size 12 Guru MWG. I switched between 2 and 6 maggots on the hook, always tipped with a fake maggot, and for a while with two fake maggots on a hair.

Loads of taps and rattles from the smaller fish, but the hope of barbel turning up to investigate remained just that, a hope.

The bream came in the first 30mins, the chub after moving swims. I packed up when I cast my feeder into a tree and pulled for a break, losing the feeder and everything else in the process ☹️

Ah well, it’s was nice to get out and breathe some fresh air, and I didn’t blank so 🥳

Swim pic
E0A4898E-44A9-49BE-BC2D-1A5D2AC239A2.jpeg
^^ You've already cleared the far bank trees on that stretch?:unsure::whistle: