River Dearne Sessions 2021.

tincatim

Site Supporter
First river session of the season and a lovely morning’s fishing on the local stretch of the Dearne. Booked the day off work and got down there for 7.15, plan of attack was to fish straight lead with 8mm halibut pellets in some likely looking swims. Hopeful of barbel (aren’t I always) but just happy to be back on running water. I also took a float rod and some left over casters and maggots. I’d switch between the two methods throughout the day.

The first swim is somewhat of a banker for the odd chub, I’ve had one barbel from it in the past but not for a while.
D16309B3-062E-47E6-B15D-C12D47193D38.jpeg
04D61776-D9AC-47B0-B0F2-7F47A656BE9C.jpeg
In went six pellets, shortly followed by my rig cast as tight to the overhanging trees as I dare. Five minutes later and the tip wrapped round and I was into my first chub. Perfect start!

I lost my bait band during the battle so had to tie up another hook length. Kept a few pellets going in and recast, then sat back on a tuft of grass and watched the swallows swooping up and down the river. It was quiet and calm, just the odd dog walker in the distance. During the next hour I had another two chub, the biggest being around 3lb (I didn’t weigh it).
DA26A5BD-4602-43C0-A1AF-610803A2B4CF.jpeg
96BEEFB6-C023-412C-9695-68A67BBF44E0.jpeg

Then it went quiet.

I took a walk up stream and peered into a few of the shallower spots with my Polarising glasses. This is the first time I’ve really used them and wow, what a difference they make! I found a section where I could drop down the steep bank and get to the waters edge. Here I could see a shoal of bream, a fair few chub and two mirror carp. The chub were quite feisty, they were charging at the bream every now and then, behaviour I’ve not seen before. But interesting to see.

I was probably a bit over gunned for this shallow, clear water. The 10lb Daiwa Hyper Sensor was clearly visible to the fish and no matter what I tried I couldn’t get a take. I had a fat mirror carp come and inspect my pellet but just wouldn’t take it. Frustrating stuff. I tried a yellow wafter and some corn, figuring I’d see the fish take the bait, but they didn’t.

The next swim was ideal for trotting, so out with the 15ft Mach 3 and a 4 no 4 stick. I had a steady stream of dace, roach, chublets, Gudgeon and a minnow, before deciding to go back for another crack at the visible bream and chub. I shallowed up to a foot and introduced some maggots, and a few roach later my float dipped and I struck into something heavy. It was one of the bream that I’d been watching. It weighed in at 4lb 8oz and put up a solid fight, it’s amazing how much river bream can pull, especially on a 3lb hooklength and a 16 hook.
5698DDFC-BCC6-4599-9E52-F0D8C5B230F2.jpeg

That disturbed the swim somewhat, so I made my way back down river to see what I could find with the lead. It had started raining which cut short my plans for the day. But I still managed another chub and got snapped by something too powerful for my 10lb hooklength. Was it a barbel? I’ll never know, but I will be back to hopefully find out.
2D56ACBE-159A-4A3C-9F53-600895B18A40.jpeg

All in all a very enjoyable day. 4 chub, a decent bream, about 30 silvers and some reassurance that the fish stocks are thriving on this little river.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
First river session of the season and a lovely morning’s fishing on the local stretch of the Dearne. Booked the day off work and got down there for 7.15, plan of attack was to fish straight lead with 8mm halibut pellets in some likely looking swims. Hopeful of barbel (aren’t I always) but just happy to be back on running water. I also took a float rod and some left over casters and maggots. I’d switch between the two methods throughout the day.

The first swim is somewhat of a banker for the odd chub, I’ve had one barbel from it in the past but not for a while.
D16309B3-062E-47E6-B15D-C12D47193D38.jpeg
04D61776-D9AC-47B0-B0F2-7F47A656BE9C.jpeg
In went six pellets, shortly followed by my rig cast as tight to the overhanging trees as I dare. Five minutes later and the tip wrapped round and I was into my first chub. Perfect start!

I lost my bait band during the battle so had to tie up another hook length. Kept a few pellets going in and recast, then sat back on a tuft of grass and watched the swallows swooping up and down the river. It was quiet and calm, just the odd dog walker in the distance. During the next hour I had another two chub, the biggest being around 3lb (I didn’t weigh it).
DA26A5BD-4602-43C0-A1AF-610803A2B4CF.jpeg
96BEEFB6-C023-412C-9695-68A67BBF44E0.jpeg

Then it went quiet.

I took a walk up stream and peered into a few of the shallower spots with my Polarising glasses. This is the first time I’ve really used them and wow, what a difference they make! I found a section where I could drop down the steep bank and get to the waters edge. Here I could see a shoal of bream, a fair few chub and two mirror carp. The chub were quite feisty, they were charging at the bream every now and then, behaviour I’ve not seen before. But interesting to see.

I was probably a bit over gunned for this shallow, clear water. The 10lb Daiwa Hyper Sensor was clearly visible to the fish and no matter what I tried I couldn’t get a take. I had a fat mirror carp come and inspect my pellet but just wouldn’t take it. Frustrating stuff. I tried a yellow wafter and some corn, figuring I’d see the fish take the bait, but they didn’t.

The next swim was ideal for trotting, so out with the 15ft Mach 3 and a 4 no 4 stick. I had a steady stream of dace, roach, chublets, Gudgeon and a minnow, before deciding to go back for another crack at the visible bream and chub. I shallowed up to a foot and introduced some maggots, and a few roach later my float dipped and I struck into something heavy. It was one of the bream that I’d been watching. It weighed in at 4lb 8oz and put up a solid fight, it’s amazing how much river bream can pull, especially on a 3lb hooklength and a 16 hook.
5698DDFC-BCC6-4599-9E52-F0D8C5B230F2.jpeg

That disturbed the swim somewhat, so I made my way back down river to see what I could find with the lead. It had started raining which cut short my plans for the day. But I still managed another chub and got snapped by something too powerful for my 10lb hooklength. Was it a barbel? I’ll never know, but I will be back to hopefully find out.
2D56ACBE-159A-4A3C-9F53-600895B18A40.jpeg

All in all a very enjoyable day. 4 chub, a decent bream, about 30 silvers and some reassurance that the fish stocks are thriving on this little river.
Never thought I would read reports of the Dearne like that after thinking what it was like when I lived in Hoyland in the seventies.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Never thought I would read reports of the Dearne like that after thinking what it was like when I lived in Hoyland in the seventies.
Thankfully it’s left it’s polluted industrial past behind. It’s a cracking little river now 👍🏻

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Geoff P’s part of the world is that. Hasn’t it turned out a lovely little river since it was carrying pollution in the 60’s and 70’s. Lovely little river now. Top angling pal. Lovely chub. Long aren’t they. 👍

tincatim

Site Supporter
Geoff P’s part of the world is that. Hasn’t it turned out a lovely little river since it was carrying pollution in the 60’s and 70’s. Lovely little river now. Top angling pal. Lovely chub. Long aren’t they. 👍
Aye it is, I might see if I can tempt him out for a session there one day.

They were all quite long and lean, I expect they’ll start packing the weight on towards the end of summer. There’ll be plenty of boilies, pellets and meat going in, no doubt.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Aye it is, I might see if I can tempt him out for a session there one day.

They were all quite long and lean, I expect they’ll start packing the weight on towards the end of summer. There’ll be plenty of boilies, pellets and meat going in, no doubt.
Do you know a lad called Russ who fishes it mate ? He’s my dads postman. He’s always on there somewhere hunting for Barbel. He does some nice videos of the Dearne on YouTube. Lovely lad.

Best look sharp I don’t think Geoff has much gear left. 😩

tincatim

Site Supporter
Do you know a lad called Russ who fishes it mate ? He’s my dads postman. He’s always on there somewhere hunting for Barbel. He does some nice videos of the Dearne on YouTube. Lovely lad.

Best look sharp I don’t think Geoff has much gear left. 😩
I don’t know Russ, but I’ve seen his videos. Seems a good bloke and he’s done well with the barbel there.

Yeah it’s sad that Geoff’s basically packed it in. When I met him last month he did mention he’d keep a rod or two on the off chance he can still fish occasionally.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I don’t know Russ, but I’ve seen his videos. Seems a good bloke and he’s done well with the barbel there.

Yeah it’s sad that Geoff’s basically packed it in. When I met him last month he did mention he’d keep a rod or two on the off chance he can still fish occasionally.
He is mate. A real nice bloke. If you see him stop and have a natter. He will no doubt offer you some good advice on the place. 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Great write up, enjoyed reading that, and nice catches too from what looks like a nice little river. (y)

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
The same could be said about the Don and Rother, the local rivers were like open sewers back then.
Similar with the river aire in Leeds. Sadly incidents still occurring of various water authorities discharging sewage into rivers. You would think in this day and age that would be a thing of the past. Also bearing in mind the amounts of money some of these companys earn.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
The same could be said about the Don and Rother, the local rivers were like open sewers back then.
When I think of swimming in the Don in the late fifties it's a wonder we lived,the only reason we did is that it was a lot warmer than the bit of unused canal near us !

davepellet

Surprised you didn’t come out of the Don, stained a different colour depending upon what colour bog roll they were making at British tissues up oughtibridge way

Griffo

Site Supporter
Lovely to see, used to fish the Dearne up from the Denaby Inngs stretch to Barnborough, in the late 80’s and early 90’s back then the EA were just planning putting bends in it, lots of lovely small chub and roach no barbel then, and I was fortunate enough to get permits to fish the old Dearne further down that belonged to the old LNER railways, that was full of Tench, stopped going after car got broke into a couple of times parked in the Inns car park. But nice to see the quality of fish in it now.

AdamRussell93

Fished it Friday night just below the salmon run in adwick, had a nice bream within a minute of casting out but apart from a few sharp bangs on the rod tip nothing else. Lovely swim though! Definitely worth a few short evenings here

Attachments

• AAFE203E-9317-439D-A789-DC4AA0708B3E.jpeg
    AAFE203E-9317-439D-A789-DC4AA0708B3E.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 550C114A-043E-448C-B96F-343C81188FE2.jpeg
    550C114A-043E-448C-B96F-343C81188FE2.jpeg
    625.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 4D028AE9-5F7D-4552-9829-EDBBB282B609.jpeg
    4D028AE9-5F7D-4552-9829-EDBBB282B609.jpeg
    849.3 KB · Views: 12