River Cherwell

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Despite it virtually being on my doorstep I've never properly fished the Cherwell so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any fairly recent info on it?

Main reason I haven't properly fished it is that I'm basically addicted to the Thames but also my Thames club's Cherwell sections are not the easiest to access which has put me off a bit. I have now joined a second club that has way more of the easier to access Cherwell stretches so between the two clubs anywhere between enslow and Banbury is fair game for me now so I'd welcome any advice on any of it.

I'm not expecting any spectacular fishing and I'll still spend most my time on the Thames anyway but I do see the Cherwell as a potential short session venue for when I don't have time for a full session on the Thames.

fredradac

Site Supporter
Hi silverfisher, cannot help with your enquiry because I live, breath and fish up in Lancashire. However in recent years we have driven down to Southampton several times to go cruising and usually stop at Cherwell Valley services. It always makes me wonder if the Cherwell is worth fishing!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
does the club hold any matches on the river? that might be a good start, virtually nothing online, though its kinda nice to have a few stretches of river that you have no idea what fish they hold, if the club has ran the fishing on those stretches for a few years there will be fish there or they wouldnt pay the money to own the stretch, good luck!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Long meadow, and the wides at blechington, browns and Bessemer at somerton are noted spots, and thrupp , Banbury day ticket

squimp

Site Supporter
In the past it has produced massive barbel and big roach.

i joined a club (I think it was Marston) to fish the lowest section for roach a few years ago. Parking was tricky and it was a long walk. Lovely bit of water for trotting, but I didn’t catch anything decent.

i would try interrogating the local tackle dealers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Very rare there are matches and those that are run are on the lower stretches below the water on my tickets and it’s quite a different river down there.

Somerton and lower heyford are the main spots I have in mind, can’t quite work out how to get to the river from bletchingdon but have heard good things. Think a roving approach will be the way to go to see if I can find the shoals. Always see quite a few fish on the lower reaches but not so much on my ticket’s waters typically!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
@Silverfisher take a run out to Annie's Kitchen, the Cherwell runs behind it, You go alongside the canal and turn right just past the jolly boatman pub, along the lane again alongside canal, over lock bridge and public carpark at Annie's Kitchen.The Cherwell can be accessed from car park. Thrupp A C have fishing rights on canal, not sure on Cherwell, canal is fiver a day, Ask the Warden in the office at lock bridge.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah walked that stretch last year. Saw quite a few fish but was a proper jungle with very few swims. Tbh honest if I go as far as Kidlington I may as well just carry on the extra 5-10 minutes to the Thames haha. The nice thing about the stretches on the Banbury ticket is that they are actually quite accessible and only a few miles from me.
1590501235227.jpeg
1590501265776.jpeg

adriang

Site Supporter
I had a look at the Cherwell around Thrupp yesterday, exactly where Mark mentions above, and it looks worth a try, very similar to the Windrush, but looks a bit clearer. (not sure if thats better for the I'm going to have a session on the canal again this week, I'll see if the warden is about and ask. (no sign of him yesterday).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@adriang do you fish the windrush much? Was quite a few decent reports of various bits between Burford and the Thames going back maybe 4-5 years but haven’t seen much on it recently.

adriang

Site Supporter
@adriang do you fish the windrush much? Was quite a few decent reports of various bits between Burford and the Thames going back maybe 4-5 years but haven’t seen much on it recently.
Not fished it at all yet, only moved to the area a few months ago, and similar to you, I'm very 'hung up' on the Thames.

But during my exercise sessions, I've walked quite a lot of it, mainly to the north of Witney and I really fancy it.

The Windrush gets some publicity about pollution from the water treatment below Burford, I talked to the owner of local tackle shop and he said that in his opinion the river fished better when it had more pollution, although he also said it's not fished much because fishing where you can driver to your peg and be (almost) guaranteed to catch fish is what most anglers prefer...

During our walks, I've seen plenty of fry and small fish, roach, gudgeon, 2 jack pike, and several chub, including a few that we were feeding bread before the levels got lower, the water clearer and the shagging season started.

I've got some pics on my phone, I'll post the tomorrow.

I've also been watching a few YouTube videos (Avon Angling UK and Fishing for Memories) where they are often tackling smaller rivers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The Thames is certainly addictive isn’t it!
The windrush sounds promising though if you are seeing fish, as I said I’ve never seen much on the cherwell save for on the lower reaches.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Other rivers, in your area, worth a look are the Thame, Evenlode and Seacourt stream.

I have not fished them for many years so don’t know what they are like now

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The windrush was an epic dace river 20 years ago ... proper big herrings And lots of them.
but I’ve not heard a whisper for over a decade now, reports were that the water abstraction had killed it off.

PeteC

Many years ago the club I belonged to had a stretch of the Cherwell at Hampton Poyle....lots of roach, some big bream and chub too...mate of mine had one about 4lb, ok not large but I can honestly say it was the most beautiful fish I have ever seen...deep black and gold, absolutely stunning fish. No idea who has control of the stretch now but access was good and the fishing excellent.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Other rivers, in your area, worth a look are the Thame, Evenlode and Seacourt stream.

I have not fished them for many years so don’t know what they are like now
I think seacourt stream is on the North Oxford card.it sounds familiar,

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I don’t know who controls the fishing rights now.

I fished it last over 50 years agoo_O
I have never fished it, only been down here 12 months, I started fishing at 8 years old, 66 now, the past 58 years have been mainly around the north west ,apart from trips to Clattercote and the oxford canal.

Flathead

Site Supporter
I have never fished it, only been down here 12 months, I started fishing at 8 years old, 66 now, the past 58 years have been mainly around the north west ,apart from trips to Clattercote and the oxford canal.
We used to fish around Wytham....good for Chub at the time....access not so easy and I’m not so sure I would want to do it now.

I used to fish the Duke’s cut (an arm of the canal).....plenty of small fish....and on the canal itself.

Mainly fished on the Thames around Sandford where I lived